Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
29821 - 29840 of 29873 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
X had breakfast this morning. New tranny and t-case juice. Anyone here that went to ECXC and heard me complain about the clunking near the t-case, the changeout helped tremendously. I still think I have a little rear shaft front pinion slop, but I have to work hard to make it known.

The 4 bottles of MOC was a welcomed raffle prize from ECXC, and the amazon prime promo did me well for the other 4 of Mobil 1. Now back to breaking things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Small thing sometime make a huge change... I prefer that cleaner! Rustoleum Ultra paint.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I also pain the plastic trim under the whipper, i was exhausted to see the fade gray plastic... Need another coat but already look so much better than before.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Today just do easy stuff need to be fix or install back.

-I clean up my yellow'ish headlight.
-Install back my front bumper cover after the treatment with Corrostop ultra under it. (post #29,822)
-Install rive nuts on cargo area for cargo tie down.
-Tie down my steering wheel spinner knob.

·
Registered
52 Posts
X had breakfast this morning. New tranny and t-case juice. Anyone here that went to ECXC and heard me complain about the clunking near the t-case, the changeout helped tremendously. I still think I have a little rear shaft front pinion slop, but I have to work hard to make it known.

The 4 bottles of MOC was a welcomed raffle prize from ECXC, and the amazon prime promo did me well for the other 4 of Mobil 1. Now back to breaking things.

Where in different group during ecxc so dont hear ya lol…Dana Ruske was your trail leader

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ok people, how many have had the top tab holding the cabin filter cover in snap off when you went to open the cover? Just happened half hour ago. I just don’t know why mine didn’t have a clip and screw/button to hold it where there’s a slot and hole for it. So...... I Fix

Gotta love having spare parts from 20 years ago in your toolbox. Total cost: 20 min over the expected 4, and 1 Jack-n-Coke.

Oh, and my Heftyfab front bumper just shipped out today! Ordered on May 2. Only 16 weeks for production during COVID crap. Actually not complaining. Can’t wait!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

doesnt the t case take regular trans fluid?

·
Registered
515 Posts
doesnt the t case take regular trans fluid?
When I researched which fluids everyone was using, I found several posts and comments on here, clubX and even ClubFrontier that stated people used the same as their tranny. ATF with the auto, mt gear oil with the manuals. I know my Nissan book says the ATF but I felt confident with what I read in the forums. The most common transfer fluid praised was Royal Purple Synchromax. Of course, now you got me thinking..... did I just ufck my t-case? This is one of the threads I checked out in my search.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
When I researched which fluids everyone was using, I found several posts and comments on here, clubX and even ClubFrontier that stated people used the same as their tranny. ATF with the auto, mt gear oil with the manuals. I know my Nissan book says the ATF but I felt confident with what I read in the forums. The most common transfer fluid praised was Royal Purple Synchromax. Of course, now you got me thinking..... did I just ufck my t-case? This is one of the threads I checked out in my search.

manual may be different, mine is auto and im sure t case and trans are atf, diffs are gear oil.

I would go off the manual or ask a nissan service tech.

either way im sure its not F'ed, but just make sure its got whats supposed to be in there is all im saying!

·
Registered
515 Posts
manual may be different, mine is auto and im sure t case and trans are atf, diffs are gear oil.

I would go off the manual or ask a nissan service tech.

either way im sure its not F'ed, but just make sure its got whats supposed to be in there is all im saying!
Totally understand you. That’s why I read about what to choose, even for brand. But so far, I literally have only driven the X 1/4 mile since the fluid change. Haven’t taken it anywhere yet so I don’t even have a base for how it feels if I’ve done wrong. The aspect running in my mind is the viscosity of the gear oil where crawling comes into play, which I do periodically. I guess gear oil performs better with slow heavy loads? Maybe? If it doesn’t degrade components in the t-case, it a matter of which is better for me in the overall scheme of my driving patterns. But seems like the royal purple is the best of both worlds the more I look at it. Sounds like I’m changing things up this weekend regardless, and value your input. Another reason why I frequent and post the forums.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Totally understand you. That’s why I read about what to choose, even for brand. But so far, I literally have only driven the X 1/4 mile since the fluid change. Haven’t taken it anywhere yet so I don’t even have a base for how it feels if I’ve done wrong. The aspect running in my mind is the viscosity of the gear oil where crawling comes into play, which I do periodically. I guess gear oil performs better with slow heavy loads? Maybe? If it doesn’t degrade components in the t-case, it a matter of which is better for me in the overall scheme of my driving patterns. But seems like the royal purple is the best of both worlds the more I look at it. Sounds like I’m changing things up this weekend regardless, and value your input. Another reason why I frequent and post the forums.

Right i mean when it comes down to it, its lube, A keeps wear to a minimum and handles the heat, any "oil" is better than none! that said, log term, I feel there might be some issues due to the viscosity difference. while in ow range, the thicker fluid may indeed be better, but maybe not for all the non low range useage. I dont know 100% , but i think that all the driveline parts are turning, even in 2wd, its just that the t case isnt engaged to send power though the front drive shaft. the cv axles are always connected though, not like hub engaged axles.

I would do use the type of fluid recommended by the owners manual, regarldess of what forums say. now brand, cant go wrong with royal purple! its what i used in my Z.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Self tapping screw pushed itself through, caused a slow leak, then fast one.
Especially the front tire fast leaks can be very bad news at highway speeds, and slow leaks can turn into super fast one, you never know.
Don't ignore the tire pressure alert! Most of my alerts are from a screw, as opposed to the 10% when it's temperature variation based (no issue).

More info at top of this link: 2015 Pro-4X

65k on K02 tires, near future need for replacement....... another K02 set

·
Registered
515 Posts

Anyone care to make a guess? Now I need some free time. Anyone got some they’re willing to donate? Or even sell for that matter?

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
63 Posts
Ok people, how many have had the top tab holding the cabin filter cover in snap off when you went to open the cover? Just happened half hour ago. I just don’t know why mine didn’t have a clip and screw/button to hold it where there’s a slot and hole for it. So...... I Fix

Gotta love having spare parts from 20 years ago in your toolbox. Total cost: 20 min over the expected 4, and 1 Jack-n-Coke.

Oh, and my Heftyfab front bumper just shipped out today! Ordered on May 2. Only 16 weeks for production during COVID crap. Actually not complaining. Can’t wait!

Been zip tying mine for years but this is nicer. 😊👍🏼

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S 4x4
15 Posts

Threw the Curt hitch on. Added a coat a bed liner since some of the product reviews complain about powder coat flaking off after a couple years. We’ll see how it holds up. Extended the diff breather while I was under there too

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed my ScanGauge after gettin cheap blendmount from fleabay and a 3ft cat5 extension cable.

29821 - 29840 of 29873 Posts