Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

29401 - 29420 of 29421 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Got to my local wrench and got the new from ebay set of TPMS sensors relearned finishing up the all fluid change-flush. Had bought most of the fluids long ago so only needed brake fluid and a quart of Valvoline synthetic 75-140 so about $60 for the year. Maybe break down and have the interior professionally detailed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I just got the new winch in last week (Badland Apex 12k) and I pick up the 60k mile used trans on Monday, plus I'm ordering a ton of gear for another MN to Moab trip planned for October...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
the other day i was working on our tacoma, had to bleed the brakes so i drove my X to the pats store. got my stuff and backed out of the parking spot, and then... the shifter was moving but the trans was sstuck in reverse!... OMG what the F is wrong with my transmission?! also i was stuck in a less than ideal spot, right at the entrance to the parking lot where cars turn in at relatively high speeds and its somewhat "blind ".. so somehow i figured maybe it was just the shifter and not the actual trans, so i pulled the ebrake, jump out and under the pass side and manually moved the shft lever on the trans body back into drive, hoped back in and pulled back into the parking spot, and shut it off, kinda in freak out mode. well, then i realized it was now stuck in drive, and i couldn't start it.... F.. start taking apart the console where the shifter is and sure enough i could tell that the shift cable was no longer connected to the shifter lever.. the plastic bushing that holds the cable eye onto the pin was broken and fell off. luckily I discovered I could use my fingers to hold the cable in place and then move the shifter and trans into park. phew!. ok, well might as well walk back into the parts store and see if they have the part..they have them for ford and gm. great. well, nissan is just about a mile down the road, might as well see if they have it. walked down there.. they looked for like 30 mins, finally came backa nd said we dont sell that part you have to buy the whole shifter cable assembly,, $2-300.. great! so they bring one out.. sure enough it does NOT have the little plastic bushing i need.. great. well, napa is just down the street maybe they have something.... nope.. got 3 other parts to try to make something work.. no go.

finally start googling and find that becuase these parts arent sold by the dealer or parts stores, a online company makes and sells them ( thank god for capitalism) for $30.. you know what im happy to pay that. if it means my truck will work again and my trans isnt F'ed.. so i manage to "manually shift" it into reverse and then drive to get it home. a few days later i got the part, 5 mins to fix it and its all good to go..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just upgraded the inline breaker I originally had installed for my power inverter under the front passenger seat. Since I added my Noco jumpstart under there too, I went with a Blue Sea marine switch. Everything is isolated and properly rated now. No blowing fuses (any more).

Then..... found what I think may be a little gem of an audio upgrade. For only $40+tax got a Skar Audio IX-8 dual voice coil 2ohm sub to replace my aged Coustic 8”. Upgraded wiring and had to boost the rear seat pads to get clearance for the sub surround (scrap aluminum billets bolted to the factory pad locations and Home Depot rubber foot pads). This thing is intense and not even broken in yet. I now have to seal the box better at the floor. This thing may even be worthy of upgrading the factory sub in the factory box if it fits inside. Power and impedance ratings are very close.

And finally.... felt it was tome to protect my front seats. That notorious spot on the driver’s seat is starting to show a few frayed fibers. Sooo... Coverking Tactical in black and there it is. Needs stretching and forming but liking it so far. Now what do I put in all the molle pouches? And how to lay them out?

Next........?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I was rushing to reach a great spot for sunsets, and I took a back way I have never taken before.
Except that my 2 GPS units (iPhone and Garmin) differed on the turnout suggestion, and I took the one Garmin recommended, the earlier one. It was supposed to be a 30 minute route. From the pavement it was immediately dirt and very soon it was driven totally in riverbeds with forks in the road. I would have been very skeptical about taking it as a shortcut if GPS didn't recommended it, and it kept telling me I am going the right way.

Then there was a nasty uphill with a washed out middle. I needed 4x4 and with it the back rear tire was spinning in the air and a smoking smell was there too, but I just needed a momentum roll through for a few seconds...

I think that was right when the 2 lights came on and stayed on, ABS and slipping.
The slipping light has been coming on and off during my controlled speeding, but now it was just there.

And then the road was no more, there was a Private Property sign right where GPS was telling me to go, but I didn't, I tried to go straight instead of the left turn where I couldn't.... and then it started to look strangely familiar as I was driving, and eventually it was confirmed. I have just made about a 40 mile loop and I was right where I started on the paved road.
Even though I just followed the GPS throughout.

Back on pavement I found the next turnout suggestion, the right one, the one I knew (just not from this direction of the road). Googling said my lights problem could be a number of things, including ABS sensor failure.

In the past I have caused lights to shine on the dash only when fighting the snow trying to get out ditches and making no progress as minutes and hours have gone by, but then hours later or the next day those lights were gone, all back to normal.

Next day at my mechanic during his computer check he found the right rear ABS wheel speed sensor wasn't reporting. Quick inspection didn't show any impact damage (the usual kind of sensor failure, impact, puncture).

$330-$360 from the dealer for the ABS sensor. $330 from Parts Authority. $200 from O'Reilley.
Mechanic suggested trouble shooting first instead of a blind sensor replacement with a new part (like switching the sensor from the other side, checking other components, etc, but because of a delay in addressing this for up to a week (his time, my time not aligning), I opted for a swap of sensors with the $200 sensor, which he had time to do the same day (4 hours later).

Except that just as he was pulling out the old sensor, he noticed the plug for the sensor had stressed and pulled on the 2 electrical wires..... the most likely problem.

And that's what it turned out to be, the remote diff breather install from 4 months ago introduced new tension on the cable leading up to ABS sensor, and it was this plug that over the period of 4 months eventually failed. While I have stressed suspension on flat dirt roads and slight valleys over those 4 months (and about 100 miles of dirt driving), something pushed that plug over the edge or the problem started and finished the same day during the more flexing than usual landscape.

So a happy end, unopened sensor returned...... new area discovered

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was rushing to reach a great spot for sunsets, and I took a back way I have never taken before.
Except that my 2 GPS units (iPhone and Garmin) differed on the turnout suggestion, and I took the one Garmin recommended, the earlier one. It was supposed to be a 30 minute route. From the pavement it was immediately dirt and very soon it was driven totally in riverbeds with forks in the road. I would have been very skeptical about taking it as a shortcut if GPS didn't recommended it, and it kept telling me I am going the right way.
View attachment 128798

Then there was a nasty uphill with a washed out middle. I needed 4x4 and with it the back rear tire was spinning in the air and a smoking smell was there too, but I just needed a momentum roll through for a few seconds...

I think that was right when the 2 lights came on and stayed on, ABS and slipping.
The slipping light has been coming on and off during my controlled speeding, but now it was just there.
View attachment 128797

And then the road was no more, there was a Private Property sign right where GPS was telling me to go, but I didn't, I tried to go straight instead of the left turn where I couldn't.... and then it started to look strangely familiar as I was driving, and eventually it was confirmed. I have just made about a 40 mile loop and I was right where I started on the paved road.
Even though I just followed the GPS throughout.

Back on pavement I found the next turnout suggestion, the right one, the one I knew (just not from this direction of the road). Googling said my lights problem could be a number of things, including ABS sensor failure.

In the past I have caused lights to shine on the dash only when fighting the snow trying to get out ditches and making no progress as minutes and hours have gone by, but then hours later or the next day those lights were gone, all back to normal.

Next day at my mechanic during his computer check he found the right rear ABS wheel speed sensor wasn't reporting. Quick inspection didn't show any impact damage (the usual kind of sensor failure, impact, puncture).

$330-$360 from the dealer for the ABS sensor. $330 from Parts Authority. $200 from O'Reilley.
Mechanic suggested trouble shooting first instead of a blind sensor replacement with a new part (like switching the sensor from the other side, checking other components, etc, but because of a delay in addressing this for up to a week (his time, my time not aligning), I opted for a swap of sensors with the $200 sensor, which he had time to do the same day (4 hours later).

Except that just as he was pulling out the old sensor, he noticed the plug for the sensor had stressed and pulled on the 2 electrical wires..... the most likely problem.

And that's what it turned out to be, the remote diff breather install from 4 months ago introduced new tension on the cable leading up to ABS sensor, and it was this plug that over the period of 4 months eventually failed. While I have stressed suspension on flat dirt roads and slight valleys over those 4 months (and about 100 miles of dirt driving), something pushed that plug over the edge or the problem started and finished the same day during the more flexing than usual landscape.

So a happy end, unopened sensor returned...... new area discovered
Don’t ya love it when a plan comes together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Didn't make the sunset!
Not even close, but I discovered a new area to visit, along with a return route of "close your eyes for 30 seconds" instructions to my passengers, some passengers become difficult when the car is not level anymore. And when gravity is not helping. And a little sideways slip.

And it's uncharacteristically cool there at 5,000 ft vs the 3,000ft surroundings and doesn't feel like the desert or high desert, it feels like 7,000 ft location.

This picture is from 2 days later, similar view I had after the nasty climb, but accessed from another side.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Coastal offroad bumper and smitty 9500lb winch. Now I’m done spending for a bit

my clutch: bahahahahhahahahahah no you aren’t.
Jwt clutch and flywheel on the way

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Coastal offroad bumper and smitty 9500lb winch. Now I’m done spending for a bit

my clutch: bahahahahhahahahahah no you aren’t.
Jwt clutch and flywheel on the way
Please write up your experience with the clutch I’m sure my time is soon and I’m gathering as much info as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mastermind46

·
Registered
338 Posts
Guess I have to post. I ordered 2 front Mevotech hubs and UCAs from Rockauto last night. Had some noise from the passenger side hub and knew my ball joints were on their way out so the X is sitting at home on the rack waiting for parts. Might as well install the shims and replace my spark plugs while it's out of commission.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra
177 Posts
HeftyFab Radiator Skid came in yesterday!

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
391 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
Heard some howling from the drivetrain at 55-65mph while under acceleration. It started after my 100k service. Last night I added another 3/4 quart of oil to the rear diff and it seems to have quieted down.

Friendly reminder that aftermarket rear diff covers generally need more oil than is recommended stock!

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
finally start googling and find that becuase these parts arent sold by the dealer or parts stores, a online company makes and sells them ( thank god for capitalism) for $30.. you know what im happy to pay that. if it means my truck will work again and my trans isnt F'ed.. so i manage to "manually shift" it into reverse and then drive to get it home. a few days later i got the part, 5 mins to fix it and its all good to go..

First of all, that site is SUPER random haha. How do they even sit down and think "I need to make this random bushing"? Second, nice quick thinking. I don't think I would have thought of manually shifting like that. I'm hoping it was just unlucky - something like that feels like it should never fail. How many miles are you at?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
First of all, that site is SUPER random haha. How do they even sit down and think "I need to make this random bushing"? Second, nice quick thinking. I don't think I would have thought of manually shifting like that. I'm hoping it was just unlucky - something like that feels like it should never fail. How many miles are you at?
about 163k miles..

and yeah it is pretty specific, i bet they found themselves in need and couldn't find it, and maybe had some experience with plastic molding/ manufacturing, and saw an opportunity.

lol, it was quick thinking, and probably dangerous too.. as soo as it went into drive i couldfeel the truck try to move forward luckily i had given the parking brake a nce good tug and it held it in place. but boy i tell you waht i got out / up from under that truck QUICK!

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
391 Posts
Painting the second hand wheels I picked up. I needed 1 for my spare since I will be rocking a maxterra rear bumper as soon as I go get it. I guess that's something else hitting the wallet, the second half is due for the bumper.

I got 4 wheels for $150 (2012 S wheels) and a bit under $100 for paint and supplies. Plan is to paint the 5 best wheels and then figure out what to do with the other 3. Going black for now. Ultimately, I want to powder coat them but there are just too many options and that'll take me a couple years to figure out the best one lol. I've only spray painted the rear bumper with bed coating so I really hope these turn out well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Will do soon as I get it in.
Soooooo how’s that going I just started a little slipping with the trailer

Got a guy in Salinas will do the job for 600$ but I have to supply every thing for the job

I know there was a thread about this but haven’t found it yet

Clutch
Plate
Plate bolts

Throw out bearing

Slave cylinder

TP55 socket
Red loctite

Cat studs heat shield studs

Cat gaskets

Crank position sensor

Anything else I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
391 Posts
Finished product with new General ATX tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

29401 - 29420 of 29421 Posts