Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

29381 - 29400 of 29421 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Phew what hasn't it done to the wallet. Next two weeks will be doing plugs, valve cover gaskets (unless I see oil in tubes then I'll do new covers), several vacuum hoses, plenum gaskets, cleaning throttle body, pcv hose and valve, poor mans trans drain and fill, new radiator, coolant drain and fill, oil/filter change......and if anyone has any recommendations for any other things that should be done since I'm at 260k and have all this mess taken apart, please let me know haha!
New hoses, thermostat, belt tensioners and a good look at the ac condenser as its easy to replace with rad out and with all the heat now is nice to have ac blowing cold

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
well the X is actually pretty happy right now, however our Tacoma which has been problem free for years decided it was jealous of the X for getting all the attention and started leaking from the driver rear axle seal.

i noticed that it has the same capped nipple style diff breather as the X does so i wonder if that has something to do with why it blew the seal, so ill probably be looking to do a diy rear diff breather mod on the 2wd tacoma lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
New hoses, thermostat, belt tensioners and a good look at the ac condenser as its easy to replace with rad out and with all the heat now is nice to have ac blowing cold
was definitely going to do hoses. belt seems very tight and in good shape, is this something that should just go ahead and be done proactively? same question above about the thermostat, if it seems to be functioning properly, is there a way to just clean it or since it's a pretty cheap part just get the new one and new gasket done and out of the way? AC seems good and cold, just recharged it about a month ago and doesn't seem to be dropping off any. just on the fence with many decisions, whether not to fix things that aren't broke or to just go ahead and be proactive and preventative. I mean, no problems at all and I'm at 260k, I would like to get well above 300k. Nervous about any major work at this point causing her to die on me sooner than she would've without the work. seems counterintuitive and paranoid, huh, haha!

·
Registered
465 Posts
The belt I think one checks to see how many cracks it has per inch. Thermostat spring has only so many cycles and not that expensive and its biggest issue if it goes bad is its a total pain to do and about the same with the tensioners as the little bearings run out of grease at inoppertune times. If one is handy you can press out the bearings and replace pretty cheap, like $5. If the static one goes it can smoke the belt too.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
was definitely going to do hoses. belt seems very tight and in good shape, is this something that should just go ahead and be done proactively? same question above about the thermostat, if it seems to be functioning properly, is there a way to just clean it or since it's a pretty cheap part just get the new one and new gasket done and out of the way? AC seems good and cold, just recharged it about a month ago and doesn't seem to be dropping off any. just on the fence with many decisions, whether not to fix things that aren't broke or to just go ahead and be proactive and preventative. I mean, no problems at all and I'm at 260k, I would like to get well above 300k. Nervous about any major work at this point causing her to die on me sooner than she would've without the work. seems counterintuitive and paranoid, huh, haha!

i've taken the approach of late that if it aint broke dont fix it, that said, if its something your going to be removing or messing with anyways, might as well replace it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since My JKU is fully modified I turned my attention to our 2005 Nissan Xterra just spent 500 to do some maint. We were going to sell it but decided to keep it for fear that my son will just ruin it.
Bought new wheel bearings front, A fuel sending unit (it went out), Rear bearings, seals, etc etc. and replaced the front windshield all this week....should be fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered a Gobi rack black Friday 2019, and am impatiently waiting for the impact to my wallet. Given the pandemic, I had originally accepted it would be even longer. However, as of today, it's now been a full month since they emailed me to say "your order is shipping in the next two weeks, congrats and enjoy" and I've heard nothing since then despite two emails and voicemails. No pending charges on my card or anything.

Adding to my frustration, I've seen threads on Reddit about people installing Gobi racks (not on Xterras, but other vehicles) they ordered after me and received months ago, and even some claiming they paid a $500 "rush fee" to jump the line. With how much the rack cost in the first place that's a real kick in the ass to know I'd have to pay even more to hold my place in the queue.
Any word on your rack?
I ordered mine on the 16th of January, and just got the "on the 17th" email from Gobi. That was after being told on the phone by end of May, then told by end of June, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I know it’s not a Dephep but for $60 it works for me for now. Wanted something to carry some extra camping gear on top when I hit the George Washington Nat’l Forest the week after next for a solo trip

The rack is a recycled materials half pallet 24” x 32” from Graingers. The mounts are my 2” tube clamps that I had bored out to 2 1/8” to use for my hi-lift jack. Found 2.2” tube clamps on eBay for the hi-lift that fit better and much stronger. I feel better with the larger ones now for the jack. Safety with that thing on the roof is a must. All the more $ for when I order armor for the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet. Do you have a link to eBay clamps?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sweet. Do you have a link to eBay clamps?

These are the ones from amazon that I ended up using for the hi-lift jack

HOUSE TUNING Bar Clamps 2.25 inch -Pack 4,2 1/4 inch Roll Bar Clamp Bracket,Led Light Mount Clamp,Roll Bar Mounting Brackets,Tube Light Mount for Light Bar (2.25" Clamp - Pack 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DKBS6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uj3cFb0P3ERB4

These were the ones from eBay I bored out to hang the rack, only a different vendor that isn’t selling them now. Still had to open them up with a 2 1/8” hole saw to fit the tubes correctly.

The key anywhere is to look for 2.25” clamps. Those fit perfectly with the rubber sleeves. If you end up with 2” versions, prepare to bore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With the time and money I have typically spend in volunteering with scouts, I have not been able to do much to the X. But with COVID limiting scouting to Virtual Meetings for the last 4 months I have had too much time and money that has been put into the X.

Replaced the Vent Control Valve as every time I went off roading lately my check engine light comes on within the next couple of days. I took it apart and cleaned it twice, the third time I replaced the valve.

Added some lights behind the grill and replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs with bulbs that have a whiter light (not in photo)

This weekend I added some flush mounted LED as auxiliary back up lights in the bumper corners wired to a 3-way switch so I can have the on, on when in reverse, or OFF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my X for 2 weeks. Since then I scoured the local pull a part junkyards and I was able to get the parts to replace the Shift handle the door stoppers and the console covers,($60)I ordered and replaced the Steering angle sensor ($200) and a Scan tool for setting the SAS ($119)but I still have to replace the clock spring unless some one can show me how to repair it. I also need to replace the sway bar bushings, I have a noisy tire and a small oil leak. My biggest concern is the service engine soon check engine light. the code is for a small evap leak. I do smell fumes on occasion but they are not coming from the area that the evap canister is supposed to be. It seem like it is coming from under the drivers door. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Picked up a used one up for $300. In good condition, a quick touch up with bedlinder and it will look brand new.

With that being said, any suggestions on install? It is all there, but I will obviously need new weather stripping/padding under the feet. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra
177 Posts
Stock "x" model wheels with 33s. Gonna get some Level 8's soon though. I have the OME Lift Kit with the Dakar Leafs.

Reactions: NWCoffeeGuy

·
Registered
06 Off Road
4 Posts
Recently replaced the stock stereo and front door speakers.
Added hood struts
Changed out the tires that came on it to the ones I had in storage (265 brand new blizzak's, I had already and needed new tires for a trip)
Restored the headlights

Lots of little stuff but stuff that makes a difference!

·
Registered
299 Posts
New rear bumper(thx @roXterra ;), diff skid finally installed after some serious grinding, shaping & egging out of holes. Only been sitting on the shelf for a year. Oil change (going to try out the Royal Purple filter), rad flush, new front & rear diff fluids. Still need to do the PMF. Installed WildPeak A/T3W 33’s with 1.5” Spidertrak spacers. Had to trim the fenderwell a bit as they rubbed when turning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Removed the sucky factory step bars today. Now she looks so much better. I now have to sets of bars to get rid of. One set from my '06 and now from my '11.

Reactions: HanCholo
29381 - 29400 of 29421 Posts