Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

29281 - 29300 of 29342 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
is it really that hard to put up the little rod to hold the hood up? or is there some other reason that makes the hood struts soo great?
The advantage for me was the increased clearance. Being 6'4, it made a big difference when working under the hood.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
723 Posts
The struts lift the hood an extra 5+ inches. Plus no rod in the way. For $45 and 10 mins of work it was worth it to me.
Same here. It was worth it when I switched out the spark plugs right after and could use the extra clearance

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
is it really that hard to put up the little rod to hold the hood up? or is there some other reason that makes the hood struts soo great?
With my lift and being 6’ tall, I kept hitting my head in the hood when getting up-n-in there. Jus t having it open higher was reason enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nope. They use bolts and holes already there. They’re on eBay. I’ve bought 2 sets from there on separate occasions. They come from Malaysia but showed up in 3 days. Have to put Navara D40 hood struts in eBay search.
is it this one?

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
723 Posts
Nope. They use bolts and holes already there. They’re on eBay. I’ve bought 2 sets from there on separate occasions. They come from Malaysia but showed up in 3 days. Have to put Navara D40 hood struts in eBay search.
This isn't the exact product I purchased... But I think these would work?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
sweet ordered them. i was going to buy them from offroad gorilla but it's sold out so oh well
Cool... just install passenger side first and use the factory arm to hold the hood up while working. My time was 8 min and had to change from a seized ratchet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
336 Posts
Put in new spark plugs today. Pretty easy going job other than stripping the hex head on one of the throttle body bolts. With the run to the store and pulling the upper intake plenum, it took around 2 hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
723 Posts
Put in new spark plugs today. Pretty easy going job other than stripping the hex head on one of the throttle body bolts. With the run to the store and pulling the upper intake plenum, it took around 2 hours.

Did you end up replacing the gasket on the intake plenum?

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
336 Posts
Did you end up replacing the gasket on the intake plenum?

Yes and throttle body. I took that off the intake plenum so I could leave the coolant lines connected to it. The gasket set I bought came with both.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
723 Posts
Yes and throttle body. I took that off the intake plenum so I could leave the coolant lines connected to it. The gasket set I bought came with both.

Nice. Totally spaced on getting those gaskets when I did the job about a year ago.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Driveway tire rotation and brake pad job. Also cleaned out some residual nastiness from the rear parking brake drum from when my axle seals went out a couple years ago.

I ordered new OEM brake pads last month because I thought they were probably about worn by now (9 years & 120k+ miles). When I pulled them, I was surprised how much was left, later measured ~5 mm on the front pads and ~6-7 mm on the rears. I guess not driving like a maniac really helps longevity—probably could have made it to 200k miles.

I thought they needed replacing because lately when I hit the brakes when cold, I got a slight grinding/screeching from the front left. But it seemed to go away after a couple stops. Kind of like when you haven’t driven in a while and you have some rust on the rotors from the rain. I’m now thinking it may be the front bearings going out too. It seems to be about time based on others’ experiences around here, especially with my mild lift and heavy 33” tires. The steering has been a little loose. An outer tie rod definitely needs replacing due to a torn boot too. Any recommendations on doing inner and outer tie rods all at the same time, or just doing the outers? I don’t know if I have the patience to do those and front wheel bearings on an upcoming Saturday....

29281 - 29300 of 29342 Posts