Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

29221 - 29238 of 29238 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Xterra Off-Road MT6
18 Posts
I the last 3 months I have installed:
New NGK Iridium Spark plugs (passenger side looked like the plugs were original. 80 thousands gap (With wear OMG!))
aFe exahust, Ditch and bumper LED lights
Ironman 4x4 awning and tent room
Napier SUV tent, AirBedz XUV mattress.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Well then...
448 Posts
Did a premature oil change for $50 + an $8.00 OEM engine oil cooler seal.

I noticed an oil leak a few weeks ago and was starting to stain my driveway.

Over the standard drain and fill with filter replacement, it took all but an additional 5 minutes. I spent more time looking for my 3/8 torque wrench than changing and cleaning the seal seat. It’s been two days, no oil anywhere. Woohoo!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to do that seal back in October or so. Was leaking quite a lot previously. I had to kick myself for not doing it earlier it was so easy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
One thing I hate about the setup I went with for the front lift is that I cannot assemble or take apart the struts at home. As mentioned above Moog springs suck for several reasons. One being too many coils for suicide stick spring compressors to work with. Once assembled you cannot take them off due to not enough space between the compressors.

I went to a shop to have them lifted from lowest setting to 1" lift. The shop pulled the first one and found the c clip was not fully seated and jammed between the spring perch and strut body. Plus the lower bolt was not installed correctly and after 6 months the lower bushings are destroyed.

I had a shop in LA assemble them and I installed them myself. Then a week or two later had another shop cut out the lower control arms, install new camber bolts and complete and alignment. I never went back to double-check their work so that's on me. Kind of sucks when you live in a studio apartment and can't work on cars.

$500 later and I am sitting slightly higher in the front on new struts but have 6 month old 5100s to figure out it they are worth fixing up or just chucking and waiting until I Titan swap. Hopefully the AutoZone struts hold up to wheeling in CO, once shelter in place is lifted of course.

Should have just bought OEM springs or fully assembled 5100s versus trying to do it myself, then paying a shop to assemble and now out all of that money. Kind of reinforcing the buy once, cry once mentality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Man, that sucks! I'm so glad we have a good dedicated 4x4 shop her on the Western Slope. If you're on this side of the state, Barney Brothers is the place to go! Family owned, fair, and they do good work

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So far so good, Town Fair said they're being Id'd as an essential company so my tire appt should be all set the morning...gotta do the melt mod, probably after work today, then gotta loads the new rims in the back...this'll be a nice chunk out the ol' wallet

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Decided to do something I thought I'd never do. TITAN SWAP!!! Been ordering parts like crazy over the past 2 weeks. Got everything getting shipped. Just need to decide what Coil overs I should go for :)

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Stereo stopped working. Just the speakers actually.
Nothing stock in that system, not the head unit, not the speakers, not the subwoofer, not the 2 amps. No light on the amp. Turn engine off, then on, that has fixed a SiriusXM issue once.

Not this time. I test the 150 amp fuse. Good. Then the other chunky under hood fuses, both good.
I call my stereo guy. He tells me about the thin "remote" wire and how it should be ON for amp to work.
Power is good. Remote wire never on. I jump it from 12V. Speakers come on.

So that's it. Do I fix it myself and look for the ignition wire -- as opposed to getting radio trigger, get the ignition trigger, which in my case is 100% the same because when radio never gets turned off.
Or do I let the stereo guy fix it right. Find what caused this.
I decide to wait a day, drive 2 hours to my stereo guy, with no sound. Other than the subwoofer and road noise.

Simple fix, done right, unknown cause, just take the trigger from the other amp that gets turned on fine. All good.
Thankfully the amp dying wasn't the cause of it.

29221 - 29238 of 29238 Posts