Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

28261 - 28280 of 28962 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I machined this one from nylon. The idea is to make them out of aluminum, but nylon is easier/faster to machine for testing and prototyping. However, after putting this one together Im pretty sure a couple of these, maybe three, made out of nylon would be plenty strong to hold a 20ish lb awning. Im going to test this one and figure out how much it takes to break it, but so far I'm pretty happy with how strong and solid it feels. The texture and slight flex of the nylon also gives it a pretty good bite over the roof bar without having to put that much force on the clamp. I tried to move it or spin it with no success...so that was a success! Once i get the awning and test these out I'll post here if it worked or not.

I went with a cheap ebay awning...I know, I know... but my reasoning is that through work I have access to a full machine shop, waterjet, 3d printers...so I can modify, reinforce anything i break if needed. I thought about building one, but for $90 I pretty much got something equivalent to what i would build for that same price, but with 99% of the fabrication work already done for me. All I would need to do is fix, mod things as they break at little to no cost for me. We'll see. I just enjoy making things, breaking them, then making them again haha. Cheers!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Picked up a new accessory to hang off the back. Been waiting for the REI Anniversary Sale for many months to nab one of these.

Attachments

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
FINALLY buttoned her up from my heater core replacement.

And did half of the LED dash mod. I think it looks pretty neat. Plus, I only burned myself twice.

I was getting tired of the bland orange lighting. I have a few ideas I'm throwing around to spruce it up a bit. I have some transparent sheeting I may use for the indicators (blue for the C and red for the H on the engine temp gauge, etc) but it'll have to wait... Got work in the A.M.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went with a cheap ebay awning...
Something like this? I would be curious to know how well it works. Looks really cheaply made, but after looking at some reviews for the others they don't seem all that much better. The going rate seems to be around $300 in Canada for a good sized one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Something like this? I would be curious to know how well it works. Looks really cheaply made, but after looking at some reviews for the others they don't seem all that much better. The going rate seems to be around $300 in Canada for a good sized one.
yup, Pretty much. I just got the 6ish by 8ish version of it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Tent-Awning-Rooftop-SUV-Truck-Shelter-Outdoor-Camping-Travel-Sunshade-Canopy/192325011323?hash=item2cc776c77b:m:mt7J4BAxdeOybX52GOWFEAg

The way a look at it is I basically bought $90 worth of pre-cut/assembled materials for me to modify and reinforce as needed. It appears that some of the parts, such as the legs and poles from ARB and other brands actually fit this awning in case those need to be replace with something of a little bit better quality. I agree with you though. They all look flimsy. I won't be using this thing that much...just trying to scape the sun in between laps during mountain biking trips.

·
Registered
255 Posts
XTP Plenum Spacer installed:grin: didn't have to use the torx socket to take the studs out, just tapped with a hammer while turning with vice grips. I can already feel the difference! I'm a fan! Although I accidentally snapped off a bolt in one of the mounting holes for the rear wire harness mounting bracket. *sigh* learn a lesson the hard way

·
TNX Veteran
541 Posts
XTP Plenum Spacer installed:grin: didn't have to use the torx socket to take the studs out, just tapped with a hammer while turning with vice grips. I can already feel the difference! I'm a fan! Although I accidentally snapped off a bolt in one of the mounting holes for the rear wire harness mounting bracket. *sigh* learn a lesson the hard way
I've been meaning to order one and missed out on the GB for these a couple months ago... My main concern would be a SMOG inspection here in Commiefornia.

·
Registered
255 Posts
XTP Plenum Spacer installed:) didn't have to use the torx socket to take the studs out, just tapped with a hammer while turning with vice grips. I can already feel the difference! I'm a fan! Although I accidentally snapped off a bolt in one of the mounting holes for the rear wire harness mounting bracket. *sigh* learn a lesson the hard way
I've been meaning to order one and missed out on the GB for these a couple months ago... My main concern would be a SMOG inspection here in Commiefornia.
One of the many reasons I won’t move to California lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Time to hit the brakes!! Just got my new Raybestos today! 2 days early and on a sunny warm Saturday no less. Omen!! After 72000 miles and Pa/NY winters the rotors are still in good shape. A little scraping and sanding and good to go there. Wish I would have looked closer at the pads when I was lifting the truck back in April. Never thought the inner pads would wear so much quicker than outers. Didn’t read enough in here. Also took the time to get those spidertrax installed too. Didn’t think I would notice a difference but cornering stability is definitely better. So that puts me up to fender cutting and melting. The rabbit hole’s getting deeper and deeper...

EDIT:

And deeper... and deeper... Day after: Just took off my front sway bar, 5 minutes before the thunderstorm. Woohoo!! Thanks @General_Tarfun for your input on yanking yours. Finally pushed me over the edge. Still have to get her rolling out on the road. I'll lean into it after the rain stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Moved my PSFR and installed my dual battery system!

Used the National Luna Kit!
My kit has been sitting in the parts closet for 2 years now, hopefully going to do it soon. Which batteries are those, they look like Odyssey?
Yeah the Odyssey PC1200s. Honestly, even after reading GeoXplorer's very detailed thread I still found some steps difficult. But it's done now! 🙂 I imagined I was going to be able to replace the Big Three, but that turned out not to be possible given my knowledge and tools. Which is a bummer, but maybe someday I'll be able to swap them out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah the Odyssey PC1200s. Honestly, even after reading GeoXplorer's very detailed thread I still found some steps difficult. But it's done now! I imagined I was going to be able to replace the Big Three, but that turned out not to be possible given my knowledge and tools. Which is a bummer, but maybe someday I'll be able to swap them out.
That looks great!
Can you please link to GeoXplorer's write up? My search fu seems to be lacking today!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Time to hit the brakes!! Just got my new Raybestos today! 2 days early and on a sunny warm Saturday no less. Omen!! After 72000 miles and Pa/NY winters the rotors are still in good shape. A little scraping and sanding and good to go there. Wish I would have looked closer at the pads when I was lifting the truck back in April. Never thought the inner pads would wear so much quicker than outers. Didn’t read enough in here. Also took the time to get those spidertrax installed too. Didn’t think I would notice a difference but cornering stability is definitely better. So that puts me up to fender cutting and melting. The rabbit hole’s getting deeper and deeper...

EDIT:

And deeper... and deeper... Day after: Just took off my front sway bar, 5 minutes before the thunderstorm. Woohoo!! Thanks @General_Tarfun for your input on yanking yours. Finally pushed me over the edge. Still have to get her rolling out on the road. I'll lean into it after the rain stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha it's always a good thing with a one more post update!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah the Odyssey PC1200s. Honestly, even after reading GeoXplorer's very detailed thread I still found some steps difficult. But it's done now! I imagined I was going to be able to replace the Big Three, but that turned out not to be possible given my knowledge and tools. Which is a bummer, but maybe someday I'll be able to swap them out.
Can you please link to GeoXplorer's write up? My search fu seems to be lacking today!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/30100-how-dual-battery-install-under-hood-pbr.htmlhat looks great!

28261 - 28280 of 28962 Posts