Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have a few GPS units, most all of them are hand held and most all of them are garmin.

Currently I use a Garmin GPS Map60CSx which can street directions (if you buy the correct map) as well as topo maps and has general hiking / geocaching abilities.

This is what I use in my Jeep as well as when I am hiking and geocaching.

I have a US GlobalSat GPS puck an a touch screen laptop mounted to a Ram Mount system. I use iGuidance for around town nav, Delorme Street Atlas for long multi day trips, I use National Geographic TOPO! (State Series) for offroad trail mapping and geocaching (for finding the best direction for approaching a cache by vehicle. I can run all three maps (plus other GPS enabled programs) at the same time using GPSGate.

Personally, before you can think about looking at GPS's, you need to figure out your need and desires. Do you want it just for road navigation, do you want the ability to use it in multiple vehicles, etc. Once you figure out your needs, then start looking for a unit that fit those needs.

For instance, I would not suggest the 60CSx to someone who wants just street navigation, but if you also want the ability to easily carry it while hiking without worrying about damage, then it might be the correct unit for you.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's a response! Primarily I am looking for street/travel navigation (fed up w/ Mapquest!) but like the ability to remove the unit for hiking, unmarked roads/trails, etc. So something that will get me around town and across the highways but also capable of keeping me unlost (if that's a word) on the trails.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i got my dad the garmen nuvi 350 for his birthday this past year, he loves it, says it give good directions, unfortunately he's a car hauler so it tends to give him non-truck routes. but for a car it seems to be great!

·
on line
10,133 Posts
i have the Garmin 60CSX and i love it. i bought it for backpacking/hiking, and then bought the dash mount and installed it in the X. i will warn you though...take any road directions it gives you with a grain of salt. It once told me to make a left off the interstate (no exit) into the woods and then showed a straight line to my destination 20 miles away.

·
on line
145 Posts
My wife and I love our Garmins. We have Legend CXs which are primarily handhelds but are acceptable for in car navigation (with the appropriate maps).
My personal opinion is that the handhelds are more suitable for use as both in car and handheld than trying to use an in car unit as a handheld. The Garmin Map GPS60CSx or 76CSx are probably the best handhelds out there although I am hearing good things about the new Legend HCX (also Garmin). Remember to add ~$120 for mapping software.
If you want gadgets you can connect the handhelds (and possibly the in car) to a laptop for a big screen. It should be noted that none of the handhelds I have mentioned offer voice navigation.

Here is a good site to check stuff out: http://www.gpsnow.com/

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I also have the Garmin 60 Csx and I wouldn't change it. I bought it primarlily for geocaching with the kids. Since then I ahev bought both the streets and maps software and the TOPO software. I travel across Canada for business. I always bring my Garmin with me for use in the rental cars and it gets me to my destinations with ease. A couple of times I questioned the route, driving down a gravel road in the middle of nowwhere, just me and the chipmunks in a rental car and in the end, I pop back out onto a main road and shaved 1/2 hour off the drive.

·
on line
149 Posts
i'm using a TomTom One. seems to work well for street navigation, would be scary to have in the woods while lost.

street navigation is for the most part dead on, save a few mis-mapped roads and the occasional odd route planning.

works better in larger cities (ie Baltimore) than the boondocks where i'm at now.

·
on line
268 Posts
Another with a Garmin 60csx here too. lol Like the portability of it versus a indash or larger one. Use it in my X, geocaching, flying, etc.

·
on line
166 Posts
TomTom 910...

Currently TomTom offers the most up to date street maps in the world, not sure how long that claim will last though...

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Creek said:
i have the Garmin 60CSX and i love it. i bought it for backpacking/hiking, and then bought the dash mount and installed it in the X. i will warn you though...take any road directions it gives you with a grain of salt. It once told me to make a left off the interstate (no exit) into the woods and then showed a straight line to my destination 20 miles away.
If I'm in the X, who needs roads?!?!

----------------------------------------------------

You guys prefer to have the voice-guided driving directions? I usually have my music up so I don't know if I would even hear it.

·
on line
178 Posts
I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2730. It has the XMS sat radio and traffic. I love it.

·
on line
28 Posts
I am using my kenwood dnx7100, it has a built in garmin. I love garmin, very easy to use and very accurate. my roommate had a tomtom 910 before but he had to switch it out twice w/i a month because of malfunctioning. he finally switch to a garmin also and had no problem with it since.

·
on line
28 Posts
yeah, you can't go wrong w/ garmin. teh nuvi 350 is solid, you can find it only for around 400.

·
on line
707 Posts
I only have a handheld a Magellan Explorist 500LE, but am looking at getting one of these Magellan Tritons:
http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=425

Supposed to be able to download the National Geographic USGS topo maps into the unit. My priority for the unit is to be able to take it hiking, and fishing. I am sure the units designed for the street are much easier to use for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts