Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change my front and rear diff fluids. I bought Mobil 1 for the rear but I can't find a full synthetic in the 80w 90 for the front. Any ideas? other than Amsoil.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Nope, 75w90 should be fine. You are within spec. As long as the vescosity isn't too high or too low at the correct end. If you would try to run something like 90w120, then you might have a problem.

·
on line
168 Posts
Why does Nissan spec synthetic in the rear diff and not in the front? Is it because the front diff clutches will slip with synthetic? That was the theory proposed to me by a knowledgeable parts guy.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
So much for the knowledgeable parts guy, looked like synthetic was in there when I drained mine. And that's what Amsoil has for it. So since you are not an Amsoil fan, I see chain stores are now carrying Royal Purple, that or Mobile one is real good. Just not perfect like Amsoil. Ha ha

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What he is refering to is the fact that in the Service Manual under lubrication specs it specifies GL-5 Synthetic for the rear diff but just GL-5 for the front (does not say synthetic).

Even if there were clutch plates (like in a LSD), most gear oil these days have friction modifiers built into them. And if they do not you can get a friction modifier additive.

·
on line
142 Posts
I put Red Line Shockproof gear oil in my diffs. The Shockproof stuff is supposed to help protect against damage when the gears get slammed together. There are actually micro-beads in the oil to cushion them.

Z.

·
on line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not saying amsoil is a bad product, I just don't like the way it is sold. Why not just sell it in stores?

·
on line
168 Posts
Muzikman said:
There are no clutches in the front or rear.
Why don't they spec synthetic for the front diff then? It seems that there is synthetic in all the other lubricants.

I also found that Castrol makes Import Multi-Vehicle ATF that meets Nissan Matic D and Matic J that can be used in both the transfer case and the automatic transmission. It costs 3.99 a quart at AutoZone.

I am now at 60,000 miles so time to change all the drive fluids (except the trans). I may do a drain and fill on the trans.

·
on line
168 Posts
I bought the Mobil 1 syn for the rear and the Valvoline non syn for the front. Next time around, I will get the synthetic for front and rear.

When I did the change at 30 miles, I don't recall seeing a crush washer or gasket for the drain plugs on either diff. Is my memory getting spotty or is it possible there is no washer.

I asked at the Zone and they had nothing listed. They showed the plug but no washer.

Is it possible that it is a dealer item?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It is a dealer item, but if you can find the right sized aluminum washer, it would work just as well (that is all the OEM washers are).

The rear (at least the M226) does not have washers. The front diff and TC both the fill and drain have washers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts