Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sears we running a special on a craftsman 3 ton floor jack set. Included jack, stands, and creeper for 99. Pretty good deal. I'd check it out and see if it's still going on.
thats not a bad deal. Are the lo pro jack stands tall enough to raise the x? i'm looking to add a leaf, and need to get the rear diff up high enough.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Sears we running a special on a craftsman 3 ton floor jack set. Included jack, stands, and creeper for 99. Pretty good deal. I'd check it out and see if it's still going on.
Don't get 3-ton jackstands. Get 6-ton.

Here are photos of a 3-ton jackstand and a 6-ton jackstand in front of my X, which is has a 3" suspension lift . If you jack the X up, by the time the suspension strecthes and the tires come off the ground, the 3-ton jackstand is too short to reach the frame. Thus the 6-ton is a better fit. Especially if you are lifted or plan to lift, but also for stock as well.

As for the jack, I recommend saving some bucks and getting the yellow/black one at Harbor Freight. Ive had it for years and its beefy and works great. The best part about the black yellow is that the cup screws down low enough to lift my wife's little VW Cabrio, but it also screws up about 5" so it can lift the lifted X way up. Heres a pic of it when I was testing my sliders (it can still go up higher about 4-5 more inches).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I just picked up some 4 ton jacks for $5 on craigslist. Those will be useful some day, but I will find some 6 ton jacks. I just looked at it, and as I sit now the jacks at full extension will only get my x off the ground maybe 1" so theres no way my tires will clear the ground.

Thanks for the input goes. Any and all info is helpful.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Don't need super tall jackstands. Take your tires off and let the axle come closer to the ground. Why do you need the truck sitting on jackstands, with the suspension fully drooped out, and the tires all on at once?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Don't need super tall jackstands. Take your tires off and let the axle come closer to the ground. Why do you need the truck sitting on jackstands, with the suspension fully drooped out, and the tires all on at once?
Because it gives you way more room to work underneath and saved you the time and heavy lifting of removing the tires when there's no need. Ex: pulling a driveshaft to do u-joints.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Because it gives you way more room to work underneath and saved you the time and heavy lifting of removing the tires when there's no need. Ex: pulling a driveshaft to do u-joints.
^^^Yep.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As far as jacks and jack stands I, I am a harbor freight advocate. Rapid pump aluminum light weight jacks and you can't go wrong with jack stands. I can't bring myself to spend $400 on the jack I would want when HF has it for $149 and I spend $20 on extended warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
4,196 Posts
The Craftsman 3-ton jack sucks. It has 2 settings when lowering, on and off. There's no gradual easing it down, it just lets go. Everyone I've talked to who has one says the same thing. I'm generally a proponent of the Craftsman brand, but this particular item is not good, in my opinion.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
The Craftsman 3-ton jack sucks. It has 2 settings when lowering, on and off. There's no gradual easing it down, it just lets go. Everyone I've talked to who has one says the same thing. I'm generally a proponent of the Craftsman brand, but this particular item is not good, in my opinion.
The craftsman jacks are made in China, and with low quality control. I looked into it when researching to buy my jack, and the inter webs were saturated with bad reviews of them. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
As for the jack, I recommend saving some bucks and getting the yellow/black one at Harbor Freight. Ive had it for years and its beefy and works great. The best part about the black yellow is that the cup screws down low enough to lift my wife's little VW Cabrio, but it also screws up about 5" so it can lift the lifted X way up. Heres a pic of it when I was testing my sliders (it can still go up higher about 4-5 more inches).
I cannot find one with a adjustable plate like that one at harbor freight anymore:/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts