Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after installing my 3deg shims yesterday, im still having a funny little resonance/vibration at around 30-40mph. What exactly do you guys consider driveline vibration? If its really driveline vibration that im having, are you supposed to feel it in the steering wheel as well? At those certain speeds (30-40) i feel like a resonance in the cabin and the steering also vibrates. Most people here say driveline vibrations are felt more rearward and are louder. What is the deal? I checked my front U joints as well as the rear and there is no grease showing from either u joint. I do have slight up/down play in the front driveshaft coming out of the Tcase and the front diff as well. I think this is normal though. What is driveline vibration? Do i have it or am i just thinking too much. By the way, my pinion angle is straighter then straight now.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If your steering is shaking, it's most likely not driveline vibration. You feel driveline vibrations from the seat of your pants usually.

With steering shake, there are a few things.

1. Be sure all bolts are torqued to the proper spec (including lug nuts). Over tight is just as bas a not tight enough.

2. Out of balance tires.

3. What kind of tires? Do they have a high load rating? Are they properly inflated?

4. Front end alignment. If you did not get the front end aligned after the lift, do so ASAP, your tires will thank you and it will most likely get rid of the vibration.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK took care of the balancing last week. Americas tire said the tires were out of balance and they balanced them but to no avail. As far as aligning goes, Greg aligned it with a tape measure while at his shop. I know i should more or less have it on an alignment rack but i guess ill get to that soon. Ive felt out of balance tires and they really shake the wheel. This is more of like a buzzing feeling in the steering wheel.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Get a real alignment. A tape measure might get you close with toe in/out, but it will do nothing for your camber/caster.

What size tires do you have? If they are 285/75R16's, a lot of normal passenger car tire shops can't balance them easily. They are simply just too large for their machines. There is a good chance that they balanced them, but they are still out of balance. A slightly out of balanced tire will give you a vibration.

Also, over inflating or a high load rated tire will give you a vibration.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I was having issues keeping my 285's balanced w/ Discount Tire. Last time I was there they through them on some special machine/balancer that gave an exact placement of how my tires and wheels are to be mounted to my hubs. I forget the name of it now but ask them about it and they should know what you're talking about.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm, how does the machine know anything about your hubs? There are different types of balancers and MC covered them pretty extensively with his tire balancing thread.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzik, i have the BFG AT 2's that are 265/75 in size. I have them aired to about 40psi for gas mileage reasons. The only reason im posting this is because i didnt have these vibrations when the vehicle was stock. I know these things come with the territory when lifting and i was and am aware of it. I also know ive stiffened up things front and rear substantialy so i may be inviting more noise into the cabin as well. Ill go back and have this thing alinged properly and see what happens after that.

·
on line
57 Posts
I installed 2 degree shims and still have the same thing your talking about. I have 3 degree coming so hopefully i can relieve it that way. My camber is out and I was told it was the best they could get it. I dont know. I do feel it in my steering wheel as well. Its frustrating. I dont know what to do.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I installed 2 degree shims and still have the same thing your talking about. I have 3 degree coming so hopefully i can relieve it that way. My camber is out and I was told it was the best they could get it. I dont know. I do feel it in my steering wheel as well. Its frustrating. I dont know what to do.
Do you have front Cam bolts? If not, get them and they will be able to correctly align your front end. If you already have them and they can't, you have something wrong. Spacers should not give you enough lift to run out of camber adjustment.

I am also shocked you have a vibration issue with just shackles. I would look for another problem as I don't think adding 3º shims is going to be the cure.

·
on line
57 Posts
Ill do a once over this weekend and loosen everything and retighten while there is weight on it. I do have camber bolts and it doesnt look like they even adjusted them. My camber is the same as when i did the lift. ill have to take a look at everything. Any ideas on things i should concentrate on?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The driveline vibrations would be caused by the rear driveshaft and differential pinion not lining up. Take a look and see how far out they are. a few degrees will not hurt anything.

·
on line
57 Posts
I drove home from work and drove up to 45, shifted into neutral and let it slow down past my vibration range. Still vibrated. I guess this isnt my driveline then. Or will the driveline still spin in neutral? Should i now concentrate on my alignment and tire balance?

·
on line
57 Posts
damnit! The driveline angle is fine. Im ready to pull my hair out with this. Its very mild but its a brand new vehicle and dont want a vibration. Same thing xterra is experiencing. I am on a quest to figure this out. Hopefully i will find something to help some people out. I would love to have an experienced xterra driver drive it and tell me im anal. Steve is the only one that live reasonable close but he drives a frontier.

·
on line
472 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but I have the exact same vibration in my car, except I cant feel it throught he steering wheel, you just kind of feel it through the seat. My X, however, is stock. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? it's been doing it since I bought the car.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what is over inflated? Im running 40psi for gas. mine never had these vibes pre lift.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Muzikman said:
Umm, how does the machine know anything about your hubs? There are different types of balancers and MC covered them pretty extensively with his tire balancing thread.

Most new balancers will take measurements of the wheel - I'm not sure about the hubs though. I haven't seen MCs tire balance thread, but I know that Hunter makes a "road force" balancer that actually applies force to the tire/wheel while it is balancing. This is supposed to be the most accurate balancer made.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts