Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been wanting a winch bumper for my vehicle now for a long time, but shelling out ~$1000 for some sheetmetal is not my idea of fun especially when I have the capabilities to make my own.

Anyways, some time spent taking measurements and playing around in SolidWorks I have come up with this bumper design. I have designed it to be possible to make with an angle grinder and some drill bits although I will probably have mine cut on a waterjet.

The material itself is 3/16" mild steel plate, and I think one 36"x48" plate will be enough, I cant be sure until I lay the parts out and see if I can arrange them to fit. Surely though even if 2 entire plates are needed it would still be less than $300

Less than $300 and some time for a winch bumper seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Since its 3/16" it can easily be welded with a 110v Mig Welder. Like I said all parts can be cut with an angle grinder and a drill.

I plan to put the files on the internet in probably dxf and pdf format incase anyone else wants to make one, but first I would like to make mine first to be sure all the dimensions are correct, I would hate for someone to make one and something doesn't fit right and they waste a bunch of material.

Anyways, onto the pics. You will notice in the images at the bottom there are cutouts for LED Light bars. The center can fit a 20" and the sides can fit 18"ers.

Added this image to show how the skid plate will help with the stresses during winching.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Only issue i see is that the only mounting point is on the frame horns. Those will not be enough to winch or do any pulls. You need to integrate it into the frame some way or even the two weld nuts under the frame up front like shrock.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I need to design a bracket for the frame. I want it to be adjustable to account for body lifts. I will take some more measurements and start designing that part.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much redesign do you think will happen once you start to fab?

Looks good so far
I will cut all the parts out with foam core project board and assemble it, put it on the truck. At this point I will be able to identify any parts that need adjustment and adjust from there.

Theoretically once the posterboard mockup is complete no redesign will need to happen after that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no grille or head light guards? the skid plate looks like it wont work.
I do not have a tube bender for grill/head ligh guards, I also don't want them. It would be really easy for anyone with a tube bender to make some and weld them on though.

The skidplate is not finished, its not really part of the bumper I just added it for looks. But I do plan on making one after the bumper is finished.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Isn't the fairlead at sort of an odd angle?
No sir. Its angled to keep everything tucked as close to the frame as possible while still being able to fit (most) 12,000lb winches.

By being angled it will give you a few more degree's of approach angle versus sticking way out there.

Others make bumpers with similar angled front plates. (just none for Nissans)

Also guys, thanks for the comments. If anyone has any design change improvement idea's let me know and I will try to incorporate them. I plan to do a mockup this weekend so I would preferably like to know before friday.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The fairlead angle should not be a problem, as the fairlead is beveled to handle those drastic angles. It would put more stress on the lower bolts of the bumper through, as you will be 'pulling up' on most of the recoveries that you do rather than 'pulling straight'.

As long as you reinforce the bumper with frame tie-ins that travel down 6-8" down the frame with a three bolt configuration or more, you should be good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should make a kit and then sell it to us. I'm sure a lot of us on here own welders. A Toy forum member does this and is making bank.
Well, the Toyota offroad community is huge compared to the Nissan, so they have alot more potential customers.

On the other hand, I would do this if I had a CNC Plasma Table or a Waterjet, but I dont. Making one with an angle grinder would be doable but not really feasible for producing them in quantity.

I will get a quote from a local waterjet shop and if it comes out to a reasonable amount I will let you guys know.

I do not think it would cost more than $500 for the materials + waterjet time, would that still be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a "kit" like this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The fairlead angle should not be a problem, as the fairlead is beveled to handle those drastic angles. It would put more stress on the lower bolts of the bumper through, as you will be 'pulling up' on most of the recoveries that you do rather than 'pulling straight'.

As long as you reinforce the bumper with frame tie-ins that travel down 6-8" down the frame with a three bolt configuration or more, you should be good.
Correct, I should have explained this before.

I plan to make the skid plate also a "frame tie-in", the skidplate will be made of the same 3/16" material and will attach to the 4 swaybar bolts. (EDIT, frame tie-in in regards to the skidplate is not really a correct description, but you get my point)

So while winching not only will you be pulling from the bumper to frame bolts, but also from the huge beefy swaybar bolts.

EDIT: I have drew up something using my elite MSPaint skills to show how the skidplate will work and help with the stress of winching.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well, the Toyota offroad community is huge compared to the Nissan, so they have alot more potential customers.

On the other hand, I would do this if I had a CNC Plasma Table or a Waterjet, but I dont. Making one with an angle grinder would be doable but not really feasible for producing them in quantity.

I will get a quote from a local waterjet shop and if it comes out to a reasonable amount I will let you guys know.

I do not think it would cost more than $500 for the materials + waterjet time, would that still be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for a "kit" like this?
You're right. Might not be worth it to you... or us if you don't have the equipment. You might get a few buyers but not a lot. His kit goes for 300.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts