Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Patience, shady spot and a good supply of favorite beverages. Dab of dielectric grease for reinstalling coils on to plugs.
Various 3/8 inch drive extensions.
A first time change one may not need the intake manifold gasket as full removal is not needed. Throttle body gasket? Videos and reading didn't say anything about that

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Reactions: Bioburner

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
39 Posts
If you decide not to take the manifold off,

A roll of electrical tape to secure your extensions and wobbles so they pull off the plug when tightened,
A long flathead screwdriver, and/or a long pick so you can depress the clips to detach them. They need to be long because you feed them from the radiator under the manifold. Youtube has a good video of that part.

Figure 15 to 20 minutes per cylinder if it's your first time. Do drivers first.

If you have the valve cover leak near the firewall, now is the time to replace those if you take the manifold off.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
777 Posts
These two videos are helpful:

Another good tip I found beneficial is to use compressed air to blow out any debris before removing the spark plug.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just did this job today. I did not remove the intake.

#1 ( passenger side front) is a PITA, but with a 10mm ratcheting box end wrench and the right collection of wobble extensions or swivel joints for spark plug socket, it is doable.

Using two screwdrivers to undo the coil wiring connects is the way to go. One to depress the clip, one to work the connector off.

Do one at a time to minimize the risk of dropping something into a cylinder. I started with #1 to get the hard one out of the way first. It was a cruise after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helpful posts! I'm going to go the "pull of the intake route". That seems less frustrating than trying to wiggle those plugs out of tight spots, even though I have all the various wobble extensions.

·
on line
235 Posts
After doing it using the wobble extension the first time, I found it easier and faster to remove the intake manifold. The difficulty was getting my hand on the coil to pull it out without "bending" it and to get the retaining screw for the coil out and back in. The first time, my son lent his smaller hands to do this. Unfortunately, he was off at college the subsequent times and my hands are too big to fit in and do the necessary work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts