Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
26 PSI, that is what Ford was running with the Explorers to get a nice ride. Overstressed the sidewalls and the tires were blowing out causing rollovers. Thus the birth of the TPMS system and the tire pressures rose to 35 PSI. As a benifit things handle a lot better since the tires are not so squishy, and fuel economy went up, as did tire life.

·
TNX Senior Member
482 Posts
26 PSI, that is what Ford was running with the Explorers to get a nice ride. Overstressed the sidewalls and the tires were blowing out causing rollovers. Thus the birth of the TPMS system and the tire pressures rose to 35 PSI. As a benifit things handle a lot better since the tires are not so squishy, and fuel economy went up, as did tire life.
I agree with all of this minus the “things handle a lot better” part. The roads are so bad here in most of Colorado, when I run my tires at 35 plus psi my truck rides like crap. At a lower psi my ride quality increases. At higher psi I get better mpg and less tire wear, but my truck bounces all over the place on bumps and turns. I think for most of us the trouble is finding the sweet spot somewhere in the middle. I run my tires at 32ish psi all day for a comfortable ride, at the sacrifice of mpg and tire longevity. I hate the tpms system on our trucks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
26 is where doing a chalk test my tires where making full contact with the road , probably being a 315/75 and E rather has something to do with it . Most people run their tires overinflated not understanding the psi rating on the tire is for max load.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts