Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm driving and I hit something like a seam between the road and bridge, sometimes it makes the X feel like the ass end wants to jump sideways. Takes a quick correction to get the ride all stable again. It doesn't always happen and I'm trying to narrow down what causes it: Is the seam diagonal across the road? Am I changing lanes when I hit it and my tires aren't straight at that very moment?

Could it be worn shocks? Truck passes the ol' bounce test on all 4 corners. But maybe the bounce test is different on a heavier vehicle?

Got any ideas on what I should check?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Check your rear springs to see if they have developed a crack, are loose, broken, missing.
Check your rear shocks while your back there

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I had looked under there a few weeks ago (this jumpiness has been around for longer than a few weeks) and everything looked fine, but I didn't give the springs a thorough inspection. I'll check the shocks for signs of leaking...anything else regarding them? Besides being disconnected...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Have your rear shocks been replaced or are they original? Sounds like they could be worn out.

I have never found the "bounce test" to be all that informative. My 200 lb weight is just nowhere near enough to simulate the kind of forces that are going on when driving down the road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I'm not sure if they're original or not. And it can be tough to tell the age of under-chassis components with all the corrosion we get. I'll have to take a closer look at them. If I were to replace them, I see people installing the Bilstein 5100 quite a bit. Would those be okay on a stock height X, a nice improvement, overkill or a waste of money?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just replaced my rear shocks and had that little shimmy jump thing you're talking about before and after the shock change. I thought it was just something that most cars do. My old 1st gen did it too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When I'm driving and I hit something like a seam between the road and bridge, sometimes it makes the X feel like the ass end wants to jump sideways. Takes a quick correction to get the ride all stable again. It doesn't always happen and I'm trying to narrow down what causes it: Is the seam diagonal across the road? Am I changing lanes when I hit it and my tires aren't straight at that very moment?

Could it be worn shocks? Truck passes the ol' bounce test on all 4 corners. But maybe the bounce test is different on a heavier vehicle?

Got any ideas on what I should check?
Assuming you don't just mean the hop that comes with having a solid rear axle, check your axle bearings. Mine had a pretty good wobble in the rear before I had the bearings replaced at about 185k miles. Tightened up nice after. I didn't realize how bad it was until they were replaced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a new feeling or has your x done this since you got it? it could be normal, are you used to solid rear axle vehicles?
Assuming you don't just mean the hop that comes with having a solid rear axle...
Maybe that's it. I've had FWD for so long, I've probably long forgotten what it's like. It is more like a quick hop than a shimmy.

·
TNX Senior Member
482 Posts
I would bet money your rear leaf springs are wearing/worn out. This can also happen on a good set of leaf springs when your rear end is overloaded. There are several good options for replacing the leaf springs other then Nissan OE springs.

·
TNX Senior Member
482 Posts
So it's possibly time to consider if I want to lift it...
If your rear leaf springs need replacing, I would consider at a lift. I just replaced my rear shocks this week, I had no idea how bad they were until they were off my truck. Thankfully my alcan leaf springs are still in great shape or my rear end would have been all over the place in these crappy Colorado roads.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of my lift dilemma is going alcan or ome for quite an investment of general spring with a stock ride height for a fraction of the price when I'll rarely take it where a lift would be useful. That's one of the perks of living in a flat, midwestern city.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Part of my lift dilemma is going alcan or ome for quite an investment of general spring with a stock ride height for a fraction of the price when I'll rarely take it where a lift would be useful. That's one of the perks of living in a flat, midwestern city.
you could consider just repalcing the leafs with the cheaper general springs, and they using a helper spring or shackle to lift. the lift doenst have to come from the leaf springs.

the rear is pretty easy to lift/ adjust compared to the front, so I would think about if you want to lift or not based on the front end not the rear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man, that's good to consider.

Edit: Speaking of shackles, I read that they cause premature wear. Is that premature wear caused when off roading or just any normal urban driving?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second meanGREENnugget.

I had exactly the same annoying thing with my 2015 "X," 4wd. Replaced the rear springs at about 82k miles with stock-grade Generals and it is 80% (much!) better.

It still hops slightly, as I s'pose a solid axle-equipped vehicle is wont to do. It rides profoundly better over all uneven pavement now, at all speeds, and no longer bottoms out at stupid drainage dip on a nearby road.

It's so much better that I've opted to put off replacing shocks for a while.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Do you have LT tires on it? The tires might just be too stiff and heavy.

this is a good point, they could also be over inflated, I know that some shop inflated my tires to like 40 psi and it was too much, dropped it to 36-38 and its much better.

they claimed that because they were larger than stock (only 265/76/16's) that they needed more pressure to get the TPMS light to go off, it did.. for like 2 days...not worth the jarring ride!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts