Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my stealership's recommended service intervals and I realized there's no way I can afford their plan(s), they would have me come in almost every 3k w/ minimal shop cost of $200! I regularly maintain my X on the basics; oil changes, tire rotation/balance, etc. But I just hit 50k and I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of service-type stuff I need to do. What do you guys suggest?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
actually 30k is the first big hit... they recommend the tranny flush, coolant flush, diff fluid change and more. The dealer will typically charge over $500 but a local shop will certainly be less.
Avoid the GoodYear/Gemini places unless you like to take it in the rear without lube.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
At 50K miles I would do the following if they already have not been done.

Change oil
Change front and rear diff oil
Change transfer case fluid
Change / flush tranny fluid
Flush coolant
Check air cleaner
Check brakes
Check in-cabin air filter

·
on line
429 Posts
My service interval lately has been "Oh shit, I haven't changed the oil in a while!"

·
on line
15,651 Posts
:)

I am anal about my service intervals. The only thing I have not done as much as I should have is rotate the tires.

·
on line
5 Posts
Which synthetics do you guys use? We just got my wife's used 07 and it has 10K miles on it. The oil in it looks very clean, so i'm not overly worried, but I was thinking that i'd go ahead and change to Royal Purple like I use in my Z4. I change every 7k in my car (bmw recommends 15k, but that's just stupid), but I'm not familiar with the engine in the X. We've got a 2wd S automatic for reference.

·
on line
628 Posts
I won't say it is the preferred, but Amsoil is pretty popular on here, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance, it is said that it is just as good as Amsoil, supposedly has the ability to go 25K (according to packaging) between changes, like Amsoil, Just that Amsoil was the first to develop this kind of high interval synthetic. I am only going 7,500 miles though.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I use mobile one synth as well (not the extended perfomrance). Still change every 3750 though, might be a waste of money but it's peace of mind to me.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I run Mobil 1 Synthetic on a 5K cycle as well. I use OEM filters (though I have a Napa/Wix in it currently).

My front diff and TC are both Mibil 1 Synthetic, my rear is currently factory since the axle was just replaced.

I also run stock air filters and change it every other oil change.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I am also a mobile 1 user...but I havent changed my diff oils yet? I only have 23000 kms...but that soon. What grade of mobile 1 do you use for the diff & TC?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i do my oil changes every 15k with amsoil

at 30k i had both diffs changed out for amsoil, and had a tranny flush done, oh and the TC was done also.....i also had my shop check all the belts, timing, etc.

i think they charged me $200...i had a few other things done also, but that wasn't part of the normal maintenance.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm...we have a timing chain and there is no way to check it without pulling the font of the engine. I hope they didn't charge you.

·
on line
294 Posts
i broke 30k today.

tomorrow i go in to the dealer for a tranny flush.

saturday i will be doing the following in my driveway:

both diffs drain/fill
t-case drain/fill
engine oil drain/fill
coolant drain/fill
air filter / cabin filter
serp belt
tire rotation
and while i'm under there, diff breather extension

i've got Royal purple for the diffs/t-case. i shouldnt even have to look at them until 90k hopefully...

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Muzikman said:
Umm...we have a timing chain and there is no way to check it without pulling the font of the engine. I hope they didn't charge you.

point i was trying to make was they looked at everything that could break, i was charged for a 30K maintenance, which would have included timing, if it could be done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts