Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorate 3 trails in MOAB? I'm heading out mid June for MOAB on a family trip and we want to do some wheeling. The group of vehicles would consist of our OR X, a Jeep TJ, a Jeep YJ and a 4Runner. I want some good trails but not Hells Revenge type.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
some good trails but not Hells Revenge type.
What does that mean? While HR has some crazy obstacles ie-Hells Gate, Tip-over Challenge, and The Escalator, it's a fairly up/down off camber ride with great views. All can be avoided via bypass too. Only one instance of improper tire placement along the way I recall which'd send your truck downhill in a fiery ball of burning death. (J/K, but not really..) It's very clearly marked too, just gotta' keep your eyes open and respect the rocks.
Anyhow, Fins-n-things, Seven Mile Rim, and Steelbender are all great 4wd trails offering something for everyone. Scenery, climbing, tippy, water crossings.. For the less enthusiastic, try Elephant Hill, or Gemini Bridges trails.
Just enjoy yourselves, and always pay attention. :)

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the major obstacles on Hells Revenge can be avoided if need be? All of our vehicles are mostly stock except for 2"+ of lift and sliders. We want a challenge but not tear up out trucks.

·
on line
631 Posts
metal masher is pretty so-so. and so is gemini bridges but it has some pretty good sized ledges. steel bender is fun and good scenery with a few hard parts. kane creek is beautiful but you will be driving along the side of a mountain with very little room on the ledge so be careful. long canyon is fun but very steep descent. bull canyon is near gemini bridges/metal masher and the end you look up at the gemini bridges. hurrah pass is nice in the rain and it goes to chickens corner but ive never been there. id say a majority of the trails can be done with your lift and sliders. ive got a 2" and sliders and never had a problem.

i say go have fun and run what you feel comfortable with. nobody knows your vehicle and driving ability other than you. so have fun! and if you didnt break anything than it was to easy.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well My Fav Was the last one I did, because we had the most fun and it was the hardest. Have no idea what the name was, at my age you dismiss details. But if I go back, that's like the 1st one I want to do. But there are so many trails, I think one should do em all before they go back to one they already did. MC

·
on line
232 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Well My Fav Was the last one I did, because we had the most fun and it was the hardest. Have no idea what the name was, at my age you dismiss details. But if I go back, that's like the 1st one I want to do. But there are so many trails, I think one should do em all before they go back to one they already did. MC
It was Kane Creek.

You should not see any damage on Fins N Things
The same with Hells Revenge unless you do the options

Steel Bender is a very bumpy drive and can take a while to run. We made some wrong turns and it was a very long day. We have run it backwards about a 1/3 of the way as a short bonus run once, and then turned around.

One of the most scenic trails is Elephant Hill and is challenging enough to not be boring. Allow an hour to get there from Moab

Last month, we did Gemini for the scenery, then went up 191 to hop on Klondike Bluffs and over to Salt Flats Rd, then hooked up to the back end of Arches. We have also done Klondike in combination with Tower Arch.

My personal picks would be Fins, Hells, and E-Hill

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
on line
232 Posts
Another thing that was discovered. When using the Charles Wells book, you reset your odometer accordingly..... the Gen 2 appears to be off quite a bit while in 4lo and can mess you up. I thought it was just me, but the other Gen IIs had the same issue. I was running stock sized tires too. Use a GPS for the ODO if you have one.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Gemini Bridges seemed too easy when we were there is April. Trail is pretty, but definitely wouldn't consider it moderate (very easy trail except near the bridges where there are basically a bunch of optional ledges and stuff). We skipped the section near the bridges due to the crowds and the fact that it was hard to tell if it was off limits or not. I don't think it was, but better to be too careful than leave a poor taste in the mouth of the tons of people that were around there.

Klondike Bluffs was fun... definitely used the sliders in a few spots. Plenty of challenges for a stock set-up, IMO. Be prepared for a couple hundred mountain bikers that hate your guts, though.

Long Canyon is fun. Easy, steep decent into the canyon, but great views and a fun drive.

·
on line
582 Posts
First Trail... Fins N Things especially if its your first time to Moab. Its Fun with alot of different types of Terrain. Keep an eye on the map or your GPS, there is one spot there that the intersection is MARKED WRONG.

Hells revenge is a MUST. But I would not do it first. Lots of steep ups and downs. Tip Over Challenge, Hells Gate, Hot Tubs & the Escalator are all optional with bypasses or just avoid the side trail to get to em. If someone is there they are fun to watch.

Oh and Dan I had to pop a tire in the air on Tip Over for you, a salute for not making it this year. Should be vids/pics popping up in the next couple of weeks.

·
on line
230 Posts
1. Golden Spike
2. White Rim
3. Metal Masher
4. Lockhart Basin
5. Moab Rim
6. Pritchetts Canyon
7. 10 Mile Canyon
8. Steel Bender
9. Kane Springs
10. Cliff hanger

If you add the rest of Utah, the list changes with Arch Canyon, Hole-N-The-Rock, Hotel Rock, Eva Connover, Race Track, Horse Canyon and others putting up stiff competition. How many months are you spending in Utah?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
is anything out there do-able with only a 2wd... most of you guys know the extent of my mods so whadda you think?
it's no crawler but ...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
is anything out there do-able with only a 2wd... most of you guys know the extent of my mods so whadda you think?
it's no crawler but ...
Hmmm, I donno about 2wd.... If you were locked than I would say that you could do some of the trails but I wouldnt suggest doing the well known stuff unless you plan on having a strap attached to the front of your vehicle at all times :drunken:

·
on line
3,218 Posts
so whadda you think?
Here ya' go buddy-
Pictureframe Arch
Sand Flats Road
Geyser Pass
Long Canyon
Bull Canyon
Spring Canyon Bottom
Mineral Bottom
Mineral Point
Klondike Bluffs
and Tower Arch.
All above are 2wd trails offered in previous years GONE events in Moab.
Beyond that, get into Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods. Drive the Moki Dugway.. Go to Hovenweep, or Mesa Verde.

:spiderman: <-Spidey.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
DBAX, thanks man. that's exactly what i was looking for. I had heard they had some for the 2wd's in years past.
We're just looking for more camping/scenic type stuff anyway so it looks like there is plenty to choose from. I have in-laws out that way so I gotta start planning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts