Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I
I'm evaluating buying this 2012 pro. What suspension is this? Better than stock? Same question for arms, and bumper below. Don't recognize.

Also, I'm curious about the underside. It got anti corrosion coat immediately after initial purchase, buy tire rim and Muffler are rusted. Has been living in Victoria, B.C. entire life.

Sells a bit below market price. Deal or no deal? Any puchase advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
on line
2,416 Posts
I bet they didn't spray the spare wheel as it would not be applied evenly and throw the balance off. The exhaust gets hot enough that any anti-corrosion spray that got on it simply burned off.
That is an aftermarket adjustable coil over on the front. I don't keep track of them enough to tell which one.

Money has been put into it. Looks like a couple cans of chassis black were bombed underside as part of the detail job. From the photos I can't tell you much of anything. It's like looking at a door hinge and asking if the house is any good. You can't tell from what little we can see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am really interested in knowing what the shocks are. They are not OME, radflos, Bilstiens, right? Are they junk? Aftermarket bars, arms?

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
I am really interested in knowing what the shocks are. They are not OME, radflos, Bilstiens, right? Are they junk? Aftermarket bars, arms?
I mean they are adjustable, not sure I would call them junk. The coil spacer on top of my OEM strut... that’s what I come close to calling junk but even the not really.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the shocks any common aftermarket product? Can anyone ID any other aftermarket like UCA's, tie rods, arm braces, shackles, anything...reaching out and thanks to the great xterra community. Btw I own a 2005 off road, but it's time has come. Cheers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I cannot view the videos. Any idea what is up?

Fail to regularly high-pressure hose wash the vehicle and/or go a few times to a ski resort and that would explain corrosion.

Did you crawl under the vehicle and look for scratches, dents, etc.?

Kilometers?

Who is the seller? Normally, the seller would have the answers to many of the questions being asked.

Planning on paying for an independent mechanical and safety check before buying?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tested video, works for me.
I asked the dealer, they don't know. The car is 2 hours away, haven't inspected it in person. I'd really like if someone could tell me what suspension and parts are in the images, or tell me what they are not. Not OME? Not radflows? Not PRC uca's? Any help is much appreciated.
About 150 kilometers.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,036 Posts
The bumper looks like a Black Widow Gear.
The front coilovers definitely "look" like Radflos.
I can't really see the UCAs well enought to identify, camera went too fast from too far.
It's got a single AAL leaf in the rear.
Can't identify the rear shocks.
Rear diff breather mod was not done.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,036 Posts
It's tough when its coated in a heavy layer of undercoat!
The spring and strut make up the coilover, and as I said "look" like a radflo.
The camera guy skips over the important stuff and spends too much time on paint chips, but the UCA looks adjustable.. can barealy make out the nut on the top...probably Mevotech/SPC. The top part of the boot will say "SPC" but not sure how visible it would be to you.

Look at this thread and see if they match when you have a visit.

check out ebay for chineese brands to compare the shape

Also here to identify the coilover

no idea if knockoffs exist.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is this for sale in Seattle? If so, look into the Facebook page NWXC - Northwest Xterra Club. I think I saw it posted for sale on there a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that is research. Wow. It is for sale out of Kent, WA south of Seattle. I asked the dealer several questions today and he replied he knows nothing. I'm probably gonna pass. Too many unknowns. Cheers to your next adventure.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Saw this one on CL. I think it was $17.5k? Looks nice. 3.69 gears, rear locker undercarriage looks pretty clean. Would be worth checking out IMO If I was in the market for another X I'd go look at it, but I'm not. You might be able to talk them down in price too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The front bumper is Shrockworks. $1000 + $200 shipping new. 140lb of 3/16" Texas steel. 4 months special order.
With stock suspension it will dive when braking hard. The 100+ extra pounds needs more heavy duty coils. If yours drives fine, you're fine. Bigger names have identifying markers, Radflo, Billstein have stamps. No stamps? No name.
Don't expect anything, bid lower than asked, come back in a week.... month... if it's a dealer. Isn't it end of the month now? The reason is, every month on the lot it costs the dealer money. Drive it, brake hard, accelerate hard, see how it feels. Front end sags like the front will hit the ground?
Bring a mechanic friend? Those are hard to find ?
2 hours is a day trip. Make an offer, have them call you back.

Shiny sprayover masks rust on the frame. Not always, sometimes.

I met a Canadian who flew to Arizona for a 10+ year BMW M3, not a spot of rust. Flew, picked it up, drove it home. No surprises, private party sale.

Find Nissan Dealer near the seller, have them look over the bottom, brakes...
My first X had 277,700 miles. Would still be with me except for the road blocking horse. Which Shrockworks would have blocked. Second X is at 108K. Not even a rabbit episode. The stock bumper met a deer. Both lost.

Pull on the Shrockworks up and down to get it to bounce and let go. Does it stop quickly? How many miles on it?
Any suspension will be better than stock because it hopefully is stiffer to support the 100lb+ of the bumper. my rear is stock, yours looks higher.
Expect Chinese quality bottom dollar suspension which one day will need to be replaced. It's good for now. Near blue book value? Bid $2000 less. see what happens. Act like you're in charge and know what you're doing. Get your financing elsewhere. Tell them you're pre-approved already. End of discussion of that topic with them.

stock rear and 108K:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
If the breather hasn’t been done by now you can expect to have to do axle seals and e-brakes. (2012/35000 on the clock in 2017/BC import). Bought mine at Younker Nissan in Kent. FWIW Good guys in general but it’s a business and their goal is to move inventory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.