Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just paid 890 for a passenger rear axle assembly and motor mounts to be installed. I provided the PRG motor mounts so it was just the labor.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just paid 890 for a passenger rear axle assembly and motor mounts to be installed. I provided the PRG motor mounts so it was just the labor.
I replaced my motor mounts myself and it took me about an hour and a half to two hours. I was not in a hurry though. With a shop lift and the right tools my guess is that it could be done pretty quick. One side took like 10 minutes. The other side was tricky to get to.

Not sure about the axle.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4x 6spd
13 Posts
I had a local shop pull the passanger rear axle assembly and replace the bearing and seal for $200. I supplied the parts, replacement of the whole unit would be easier I would think.

·
on line
721 Posts
I had a local shop pull the passanger rear axle assembly and replace the bearing and seal for $200. I supplied the parts, replacement of the whole unit would be easier I would think.
Yea, replacing with a built axle shaft is competitive to having someone cut off the old bearing, install a new seal and press on a new bearing. You can pop off those four nuts, slap hammer the old one out and drop the new one in ten minutes if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I replaced my motor mounts myself and it took me about an hour and a half to two hours. I was not in a hurry though. With a shop lift and the right tools my guess is that it could be done pretty quick. One side took like 10 minutes. The other side was tricky to get to.

Not sure about the axle.
Dude... come on down and do mine.
I was quoted a time of 4-5 hours to change motor mounts.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dude... come on down and do mine.
I was quoted a time of 4-5 hours to change motor mounts.
haha lets do it. The easy one ( don't remember which side specifically) comes out very easily from the bottom. I spent another hour an a half trying to get the other one out from the bottom with no success. gave up and gave it a try from the top and ended up getting out that way in a little less than half hour. I think I mostly followed a how to posted here somewhere. I did this like about 4 years ago.

·
on line
2,449 Posts
And the shop didn't make profit on the markup of selling you the parts. They don't work for free. They just shifted the profit over so they make the same money.

Many shops have a "don't hang customer supplied parts" policy. So you are somewhat lucky the shop even did the work. In the end you still paid about the same parts and labor, and the shop made the same profit as if they provided the parts. You didn't save any money, you didn't take any bread off the mechanics table either.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Not sure about the axle.
I should have mentioned. This was for replacing and installing factory mounts. Not sure if the PRG mounts require some extra work/fabrication to make them fit properly.

·
Registered
2006 Off-road, ADO 2" HD lift, Grabbers
102 Posts
I did my motor mounts my self, took about an hour.
I just had both axle bearings and seals replaced. But I pulled them out and had my old shop replace everything for $180.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X
40 Posts
I just had the right rear axle seal and bearing done for $380 before tax. This is central NC, semi small town prices.

Had the rear diff cover gasket done at the same time, not sure if that helped the hourly rate or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts