Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty good amount of fluid in the area. Funny because the tail shaft seal is dry.

·
on line
807 Posts
That seems like an excessive amount of fluid. Whatever is right under that joint looks soaked as well.
I dont know enough to give you any suggestions, maybe take it to the dealer?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to have to take it to the dealer. Looks to be my rear seal. And looking at the service manual you need special tools to replace it. However, it should be a simple job!

·
on line
189 Posts
whoaaa

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to the dealer turns out to be mud. I am a dumbass. Of course they wanted to change my rear brakes and do a fuel injection cleaning.

First question the dealer asked is if I go Off Road with the truck.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
kokopop said:
Took it to the dealer turns out to be mud. I am a dumbass. Of course they wanted to change my rear brakes and do a fuel injection cleaning.

And you said??? There response was???

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lostboy said:
kokopop said:

And you said??? There response was???
Hell ya!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My local dealer doesn't have to ask, they have a video running on a tv on their parts counter that has me crawling over some rocks and across a few creeks. :)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
muzikman said:
My local dealer doesn't have to ask, they have a video running on a tv on their parts counter that has me crawling over some rocks and across a few creeks. :)
Unfortunately my dealer is not as "cool" as some other dealerships. But they gave me no hassles and I let them change some filters and my belt, but no my rear brakes.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BoonDox said:
That doesn't look like mud to me at all though.
To much a shine to it... Have tested to see if
its oily at all?
The dealer told me there was no leak and that is was mud. It is in their records. So if something breaks, then I can go back to them.

·
on line
358 Posts
I'm new to Xterras so I'm going to ask a dumb question. I'm going to assume that there is a grease zerk fitting on that U-joint, Is this correct? If so then it is probably spin-off grease and dirt/mud combo. My 4runner has 5 spots like that under it.

·
on line
551 Posts
Sorry, but looking at the picture, I'm finding it hard to believe that is mud.
But if there is no leaks, and it's in their records, then no worries for now.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
It appears to be dust clinging to oil, but I didn't think that constitutes as being mud, well outside of Iraq at least.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it is pouring like a mother this weekend. So maybe next weekend I will climb under there and see how well it was cleaned up. Hit is with some brake cleaner and see if it re-appears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts