Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already told a few people and they don't believe me.

Honestly, I lost the lid to my wet box driving on the highway the other day. I was on 95 south in VA, about half an hour from the NC border. Cruising at about 75mph when all of a sudden I heard this crazy loud noise on my roof.
First two thoughts?
1. Something fell on my truck from the sky (like a bird or something)
2. Crap, there goes my spare, sorry car behind me.

I look back and its the lid to my roof box . . . the wind (which was pretty intense that day) ripped it up and right off the truck. How? I have no freaking clue. Only thing I can think might have been a cause is that I did have some cold/wet weather gear stored up there. It was pretty packed, but the latch worked and everything.

Has anyone else had this issue before?
(next steps I guess are to post a WTB thread . . . or build a new roof rack)

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
That's news to me. Can you see anything in the basket that would indicate some kind of failure? Did you recover the lid? Because that part is secured by at least one hinge and two gas springs, not to mention the handle. At least two of those would have to fail for a shot at the thing getting flung by the wind.

Some wind fairing, huh?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TPO - I checked it out, couldn't see anywhere that could indicate failure. That was in the basket though, I mean I figured the struts would have held it down or something.

So the lid . . the last I saw was a Mack truck running it over.

I just counted it as a loss at that point.

But seriously, with the handle/latch in place, the gas struts, and the wind going over it I can't figure out how the wind got up under there and ripped it off. When I packed the gear in there everything was solid, I had to push down a little bit but nothing broke or made any noise to indicate failure. I had hit a low tree branch once on a trial, but didn't notice it doing more than scratching the paint.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Because that part is secured by at least one hinge and two gas springs, not to mention the handle. At least two of those would have to fail for a shot at the thing getting flung by the wind.
If you call a plastic rod surrounded by a plastic ring a "hinge" then ok.
;)

But as there are one on each side, it's possible that an overloaded box could push one of the pins beyond the ring just enough to allow for a good gust of wind to take it. Remember, the hinge is at the front where the wind hits first.

I "removed" mine by leaving it open one day while backing out of the garage.
It hasn't quite latched properly since, even after JB Welding the strut back onto the lid.

But I haven't lost it on the highway either.

Yet.
:confused1:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skyfaller put it nicely when I told him

"I think that is a first in the xterra community" :banghead:

Well, add it to the list of crap that is actually possible I guess.

- The wind can actually (and has) rip off the lid off the wet box.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm still scratching my head over this one. I didn't believe him when he told me. But I have learned that anything is possible (when it come to Obi). I have been wanting to take a look at his wet box ( no comments) to see if I can figure out where it failed exactly. I wonder if a locking handle would have helped. Probably not at 75mph. But I am curious to see it anyways.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Josh, I will get in touch with you before the weekend. Maybe you can swing by some time this weekend. I'm just curious more than anything else. I am thinking that one of these guys who has put a Gobi rack on their rig will have a wet box for you.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't think that a locking handle or the struts would help beacuse they are on the rear of the lid. Wind over the wetbox will push it closed (the updraft on the trailing edge would not be enough to overcome the downforce of the wind) so the front edge must have failed somehow and been lifted by the wind and then......we know the result of that.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Josh, I will get in touch with you before the weekend. Maybe you can swing by some time this weekend. I'm just curious more than anything else. I am thinking that one of these guys who has put a Gobi rack on their rig will have a wet box for you.
No rush man, with the cold weather I can't really get up there to look at anything. I am kind of tempted to just remove it and put a light cage up there.

XB- I am pretty sure with the high winds and speed I was going, it got under the lid there and just ripped it right off. Where the struts connect to the lid are broken, so it was some strong wind.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Driving 75mph with maybe a gust in your face of about 20mph produces a good amount of force. You may have stressed and weakened the plastic where the struts mount or the slide pins in the hinges when you hit that low hanging branch you mentioned. Its strange no doubt. Only one I've heard of this happening to.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am actually oddly comforted by the fact this is a confusing occurrence to others as well. Darn near scared the life out of the passenger at the time.

side note: if anyone has a lid laying around . . .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts