Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where in western PA are some nice simple trails for a stock X that doesnt want scratched? I've heard of some noise about ligonier, but cant find any maps or info on if the trails are free, loging trails, trespassing, etx.

Ideal would be a good place that I can drive in and then camp out of the X for a few days. Not a state park though.

Any suggestions?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Very few places you can wheel and camp in Western PA.

Also, if you are worried about scratches, PA isn't the best palce. :) Most of the trails are pretty narrow with a good bit of brush.

Stop over at WPAXC and pgh-offroad.com and check out the trail runs.

For simple trails with minimal scratches, there is:

Hawkin's Hallow (down to the creek...I would not cross it unless you are with someone else)

Bidwell (near Ohiopyle)

Victoria (near Bidwell)

Main trail at Connellsville (Casparis)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
No, no maps, not really, but if you look most of these roads are on maps.

Honestly, I don't like giving out trail information in a public place. It leads to people searching, finding the info and then going and abusing the trails and getting them shutdown. Most of them are old township roads (100+ years) or private/leased property with permission to wheel on it.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then how is someone who is just getting interested in driving some trails supposed to get started? If anything like Indiana, PA, the places I expect to see will make me wonder if I am tresspassing, and I wont go on them. That leaves me with gravel roads. ooooh :confused4:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Seeing as it's not a good idea to wheel a lone, keep an eye on pgh-offroad and WPAXC for trail runs. Go with someone that knows the trails and that know what areas to avoid.

The trails that I listed above would be fine if you are by yourself and stay on the main trails, but you get off of those trails and getting stuck becomes a big concern.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been in reverse more than forward. I'm definatly not taking on anything I can't handle.

Once I get a better feel for it, I might tag along with a crowd sometime. I dont want to be holding anyone back, and I probably wont have much interest in taking the same line as the rest of the more adventurous convoy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Trust me, we are all about the beginner wheelers. If you are new to wheeling it's also good to learn from the experianced. Just about every time I go out I learn something new.

Don't worry about holding up a group, the more advanced guys take longer any way. And most of our runs have stock vehicles or near stock vehicles on them, so you wouldn't be alone.

There is a camping / wheeling run at the end of the month organized by pgh-offroad. I won't be there (well, I might head out Sunday), but the folks organizing it are good people and would not mind a stock vehicle.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Dude....................i understand wanting to be able to wheel whenever you want. But unless you have a "pay to drive" offroad park near you, its not likely to happen. And going on some of those trails muzikman has mentioned, well, lets just say we want to make sure no one ruins it for everyone else. And the safety issue. Where do you live exactly anyways?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts