Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
230 Posts
Yep and Jeep is laughing all the way to the bank. I will be a J/K shopping in a year or two because of this. Toyota and Nissan are on crack if they think this will not be disaster. People EXPECT durability from the Japanese, and it seems that is over.

·
on line
266 Posts
a friend of mine blew the rear diff in his 05 taco by driving in snow

the rear diff was locked up (not in the good way) the ring gear was in pieces and the truck couldnt even be rolled to get it on the tow truck, it had to be dragged on to the bed

obviously was replaced under warranty, but still, he has stock tires no aftermarket upgrades at all and this happens? sounds pretty fishy

·
on line
230 Posts
Muzikman said:
Don't expect the JK diffs to be any better.
I dont know, there are ALOT of them on the trail already, and many with 35s. So far no issues.(other then engine electrical) The J/K diff was supposed to be even stronger then prior Rubicon models, with upgraded knuckles.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, the fronts are better than previous as they don't have the silly 27 spline (D30) outters. But I think they are going to start having issues, especially with the Rubi's. They use a very similar axle as the M226 Nissan is using with I believe a e-locker from the same company as Nissan.

·
on line
24 Posts
The JK axels are tough as nails, I have seen them pounded on with oversize tires and other mods, they like other jeep stuff are bulletproof, in my opinion. I miss my TJ, I pounded on it for almost 10 years and it just worked. OH well I am still going to use my X, if it breaks I will just have to buy new diffs and learn my lesson.

·
on line
230 Posts
I agree, Jeeps have always been very week. Swapping the entire drivetrain out was standard practice. The Rubicon was the start of turning that around. I dont believe the J/K axles have the same design flaws. If they did, failures would be incredible when you consider how many are wheeling them hard with 35s already.

But then again, week Jeep axles broke, but the diffs dont explode!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
4WD & SUV did a good write-up on the new JK R&P's in this last issue, and they appear pretty stout. Question I guess would be in the strength of the carrier and axles next. I would take a pair of solid axles over an IFS anyday (for rock-crawling anyway), but it sure would take a lot to overcome that 117" wheelbase on the Unlimited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts