Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USMC and myself hooked up with the Eire Shores Jeep and 4 BY 4 club today for a trip to wellsvile......................Lets just say that i didnt knwo there were people like the ones we saw today, still living the way they did. ON PURPOSE!

Anyways. We did some pretty gnarly stuff. My truck litereally looked like freddy kruger attatcked my car over every square inch. Its looked totaly Ef'd when we got done. But im happy to say that after a good washing and a light coat of ICE you would never know it was in the places we went today.

My pictures arent very good. Just some stills of our trucks and some of the jeeps. And yes, we went anywhere they did. I think they were suprised. But i think these guys thought there was a prize for going as fast as possible. And not knowing where the ehll we were we had to try to keep up, not many photo opportunites. Its way didffrerent when you wheel with the Xterra only crowd. We want photos of our trucks doing stuff! We dont want people to think it only goes to work and back! So we hardly ever got to take any good photos. We have one video of my tucks front end about 3 feet off of the ground, pretty sweet. Buti have to work on that and getting it out of the cammera. USMC has more, but i think he said he may post them later on. So anyways. Here ya go, whooopee!~ No one pee their pants from the excitement of these photos.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The Jeeps must have taken it easy on you. There is stuff at Wellsville that will put buggies on their lids.

Water fall, Lower Twister, Upper Twister, Ugly Trail, etc. :)

And yes, most of the hardcore wheelers can care less about photos. You have to remember, they have had their rigs up most of those trails 100 times before, it's nothing special for them. They are about hitting as many trails as they can.

I don't mind that kind of wheeling some times, but I do like to stop and look. Watching the lines that others take can teach you a lot even if you are already past that obstacle.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Unless the bulldozers changed lower twister there is no way an Xterra would make it up and upper twister, forget it, most vehicles never make it up (most end up on their sides).

But I have not been there since the dozers came through.

Here is a pic of the top side of lower twister.

Here is a pick of the waterfall.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All i know is we went thru some good stuff. And more than once the jeeps had a hard time with things our X's handled with ease. Maybe it was the driver?

And no, i didnt do anything that looked exactly like that photo you posted. Although, everything looked the same to me, you could get lost for a while in there.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I tried Waterfall but only made it half way up, Just kinda taking some pictures. The ones that did it before said it's pretty eroded now and not friendly, I was teetering on my sliders and had to back down.

We drove there, when we left out, a couple of the Jeeps we were with zip into the rest area and drive up on a trailer. Kinda Like Moab, bunch of Jeeps acting all bad azzed and they were trailered to the area or towed, very few drive in, how about 1850 miles, wheel a week, and drive back?

We were a lot more comfortable in the Xterra's, The whole trip.

MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, if I had a truck to pull the Jeep, I would trailer it to the trails...damn thing handles like crap on the road, but I point it at an obstacle and it goes. Kind of takes some of the fun out of wheeling.

Though, I know if I break it I can get parts for it. :)

I like wheeling the X much better.

With an IFS, you would have to be locked in the front before you could even think about making it all the way up the water fall. If it's unfriendly now, then it must be REALLY bad as it wasn't a walk in the park before.

How many nut cases were on dirtbikes / ATV's? There are usually too many for my liking in the summer.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There really werent too many crazies out on bikes and atvs. But its funny when they come ful speed over a hill and dont think someone is on the other side. Some doof flew over a hill and i was at the bottom............his ass was sucking seat. For themost part everyone seemed friendly. But then there would be groups of people that would just stae when we drove by as if we just drove on their front lawn, got out, and took a piss.

·
on line
500 Posts
mcampana said:
There really werent too many crazies out on bikes and atvs. But its funny when they come ful speed over a hill and dont think someone is on the other side. Some doof flew over a hill and i was at the bottom............his ass was sucking seat. For themost part everyone seemed friendly. But then there would be groups of people that would just stae when we drove by as if we just drove on their front lawn, got out, and took a piss.
Perhaps a motorcyclist perspective would provide some balance... Like that's of value!
Cagers in there cages (that's you) are lazy unathletic mechanics with too big a toy budget. Picking correct lines is very similar in both sports, but when wrong you don't get winched out, you get life flighted out or removed from gene pool altogether. Kind of like comparing security at the symphony to house to house clean out in Anbar Iraq. So, crazy for sure.

I think both sports are cool, but two wheeler more so.
Patrick

·
on line
15,651 Posts
patrick07 said:
mcampana said:
Perhaps a motorcyclist perspective would provide some balance... Like that's of value!
Cagers in there cages (that's you) are lazy unathletic mechanics with too big a toy budget. Picking correct lines is very similar in both sports, but when wrong you don't get winched out, you get life flighted out or removed from gene pool altogether. Kind of like comparing security at the symphony to house to house clean out in Anbar Iraq. So, crazy for sure.

Patrick
I grew up riding trail bikes and quads. I have to say, I feel no safer in my Jeep or X than I did on a bike or quad. Maybe it's the fact that I am not so young and crazy. I always felt safe enough that I could get away from the bike if I screwed up. What I was going to do if the bike started coming up on me during a hill climb was always in the front of my mind before and during a climb. I can say, of all the years I rode, I never had a serious injury. Hell, I got hurt more on my MTB than any motor powered vehicle. :)

Problem at Wellsville is they don't care and they out number the big rigs most days. In most cases everyone lives in happy harmony, but every once in a while things are not so pretty.

·
on line
500 Posts
mcampana said:
FAT is usually the word people use to describe me.
Well, your set for two wheelin, because roids are helpful.

But, seriously, when Ricky Carmichael (the GOAT) went to four wheels I learned a new respect for cages.

Patrick

·
on line
429 Posts
patrick07 said:
mcampana said:

Patrick
I don't think the discussion is about the skill-set or fitness needed for wheeling vs. riding. I think he's speaking of the rider's behavior at this particular place, Wellsville.

I've been there when I was afraid to let my boys out of arms reach for fear they would get run over. My opinion is that it has a lot more to do with the people, than the type of vehicle they're using.

·
on line
500 Posts
Shodan said:
I don't think the discussion is about the skill-set or fitness needed for wheeling vs. riding. I think he's speaking of the rider's behavior at this particular place, Wellsville.
I've been there when I was afraid to let my boys out of arms reach for fear they would get run over. My opinion is that it has a lot more to do with the people, than the type of vehicle they're using.
We share the trails, so good behavior is maditory. Yet, no matter how good a group, there's always a bad apple to spole in there to spoil it for the good ones.

I started off just wanting the X for bike recovery in the wild, but all the great wheelers here have provided the "furtilizer" to promote my wheelin growth. Now I'm thinking if the temp is in the low 40s or below, or high 80s and above, wheelin will be 10x times for fun than suffering in a helmet. But, when the weathers more mild riding gets the nod.

I still haven't earned my "cry like a baby" wheeling badge one gets for that first perminant tree or rock customization. Truth is I don't have the financial courage or wealth for what you guys get into.

Patrick

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, see we are talking Wellsville, OH which is right down the street (and across the river) from WV. It's a very depressed area and the folks you get are not always the most stand up. It's also not an overy large area (and it's getting smaller) and there are few places for the folks in the area to ride (either dirt bikes or full sized).

Or to put it another way, it's back water hillbilly heaven! ;)

No offense to those non billbilly WV'ers. :)

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jadams, or "Your goona do some praying for me boy"

And Shodan is correct. Just what he said.

And thanks for the compliment, but i have never used roids, those are for pussies. But thats another thread.

Jason, we are going back with the same group in august. Probably minus a few people. So ou will have to try and make the trip, u too shodan. Im not sure how far of a drive it is for you though. Its and easy 85 miles from my door to there. So its a little more do-able of a day trip than going to connelsville. I loved going to conellsville but i think next time id want to stay the night. Just was alot of driving.

And dont get me wrong, for themost part most of the locals were very nice and most people waved. There were pockets though where people just gave the nice shiney X's the evil eyball.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts