Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew these things tend to crack when you mess with them... But wtf man. This just cracked in sitting in the driveway..
Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design Gadget

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course this happens as I'm sitting in my truck for an hour waiting on my wife to get out of an appt. Man this is gonna bug me every time I see it. Any way to repair this or what? Of course this happens after I drop $1200 on tires. Of course it's time for it to start falling apart. SMH man wtf.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Crazy glue it back together or is a piece missing?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy glue it back together or is a piece missing?
yeah, im going to attempt to "fix it".. i dont think itll ever be the same unless i replace that peice.. but its worth a try to at least fix it and see how it goes. only a few tiny little flakes are actually missing, its bascially just cracked. but it looks really brittle like even what im guing will just probably break again...

from what i can tell a new replacement piece is $150 or so. and im afraid if i do try to replace it i may crack or break something in the process.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think I figured out what caused it to crack. my dash cam has been falling off the windshield lately. idk if its the heat or the suction cup is going bad or something. and i suppose one of the times it fell it could have whacked that trim piece right there on the corner/ edge and caused it to crack.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I've had the dash apart on our '06 a couple times lately doing some stereo troubleshooting and then install of a new head unit.

Mine's getting really brittle and I feel like if I look at it wrong it cracks. Utah sun and heat has been hard on mine.

I've had OK results with super glue but you can still see hairline cracks and a little excess glue where I repaired it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If thats an aftermarket one, then it should be available as part of a headunit install kit.
If its an OEM one... ask around for people that have installed aftermarket headunits.

Reactions: Errtu

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the dash apart on our '06 a couple times lately doing some stereo troubleshooting and then install of a new head unit.

Mine's getting really brittle and I feel like if I look at it wrong it cracks. Utah sun and heat has been hard on mine.

I've had OK results with super glue but you can still see hairline cracks and a little excess glue where I repaired it.

I'd be ok with that, just little line and some glue on the dash, thats much better than it sticking out and taunting me!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If thats an aftermarket one, then it should be available as part of a headunit install kit.
If its an OEM one... ask around for people that have installed aftermarket headunits.
the head unit is aftermarket, the dash piece; its actually called "dash instrument panel center upper" is oem.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I would second the junk yard part. There a dime a dozen there.

If you want to fix it - I swear by bob smith epoxy. Its boat epoxy - dries mostly clear - 2 part. You could try mixing some pigment if you wanted. There are different dry times. The 5 minute one is my fav but they make faster and slower stuff too.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 05 Titan.

Started as a small crack that I pushed back in place and left alone.
In time, other areas became brittle which in turn developed new cracks.
Choosing to simply replace this piece was money well spent .

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im skeptical of finding one at a junk yard that isnt itself brittle. replacement with a new one is probably best. I just tried super glue and it didnt even hold it at all. also the glue took forever to dry, which is odd as super glue usually dries quickly. im going to order some epoxy online and try that, but i think eventually ill replace that whole piece.

i've got to figure out some way to hold it tight while the glue sets, im thinking a piece of wood wedged against the ceiling and agaist the part thats stickinng out. of course now its got super glue dried along the egdes, mayge ill sand it a bit.

you can see a hairline crack down at the bottom corner of the radio bezel as well, so i got frustrated and was like f it, its gonna break anyways, and pulled on it expecting it to come right off, but surprisingly it held on to a moderate amount of force, so i left it. maybe some expoy will help it hold on for a while.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
something like this?

or this?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
im skeptical of finding one at a junk yard that isnt itself brittle. replacement with a new one is probably best. I just tried super glue and it didnt even hold it at all. also the glue took forever to dry, which is odd as super glue usually dries quickly. im going to order some epoxy online and try that, but i think eventually ill replace that whole piece.

i've got to figure out some way to hold it tight while the glue sets, im thinking a piece of wood wedged against the ceiling and agaist the part thats stickinng out. of course now its got super glue dried along the egdes, mayge ill sand it a bit.

you can see a hairline crack down at the bottom corner of the radio bezel as well, so i got frustrated and was like f it, its gonna break anyways, and pulled on it expecting it to come right off, but surprisingly it held on to a moderate amount of force, so i left it. maybe some expoy will help it hold on for a while.
Super Glue doesn't work on our plastic. I'm not sure about epoxy but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
im skeptical of finding one at a junk yard that isnt itself brittle.
I actually don't think so. I have pulled a couple of those center pieces out in the junkyard to get behind and they didn't break - if there the part I am thinking of - remove the tray and one screw and pull hard? And believe me I had no reason to be gentle.

Having said that - I use this. I even tried it on a broken key and it held that little bar on the top of the key together for 6 months or so on the chain. I don't like the plunger types as they are sort of one and done and they dry up or never work again. I have had my current bottles of this stuff around since feb 11, 2017 so says amazon, and I used it on something again a couple weeks ago - still good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0166FFFD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
763 Posts
We use stuff called Weld-On here at work. Chemically melts certain types of plastic. Put a drop on each side, put them together and have it held until it sets and then it's as good as new, except for a little scar.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,237 Posts
Use good quality super glue like Bob Smith Industries with kicker and fiberglass cloth on the back side. Basically the super glue acts as the resin and the fiberglass reinforces the crack.
It’s been holding my grill together for a year now from the PO’s wife’s accident.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I drilled into that part to install mounts for tablets for storm chasing. A guy on this forum goes to salvage yards and pulls parts, so I had him pull me a spare one (dirt cheap). I just swap them out, the good one when I'm not chasing and swap over to my modified one when I am. No cracking or problems with either one. I'm in Texas and New Mexico so its hot.

Reactions: mtnbound
1 - 20 of 29 Posts