Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
I am new to wheeling, and have little to no experience doing it, and I decided to go wheeling somewhere I probaly shouldnt have been. Well I went alone and wound up getting stuck at the bottom of a hill and could not get back up, and wound up blowing out...
Hmmm...maybe his inexperience might have something to do with the failure!

I got arrested for tresspassing, truck got towed away, and had to spend the night in Jail.....
And...he doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb in the box!

Rob

·
on line
230 Posts
robnfl said:
I am new to wheeling, and have little to no experience doing it, and I decided to go wheeling somewhere I probaly shouldnt have been. Well I went alone and wound up getting stuck at the bottom of a hill and could not get back up, and wound up blowing out...
Hmmm...maybe his inexperience might have something to do with the failure!

I got arrested for tresspassing, truck got towed away, and had to spend the night in Jail.....
And...he doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb in the box!

Rob
Clearly he is a kid who made some mistakes.....And them some. But you should be able to THRASH your truck with stock tires, gearing, ect without stuff exploding. You should not have to walk on egg shells and drive gental to avoid breakage. Having the differential housing blow apart is unheard of. After 20 years of wheeling I have seen even Dana 35 stock Jeeps pound the throttle on a ledge for a rediculous amount of time, and not even break an axle. And have witnessed 100s of Monteros over the years do crazy things.

I try to be gental on my 250,000 mile stock drivetrane Montero because of 35s and age, and hating to break. Same for the Xterra because it was brand new. But sometimes you have to get on it off-road, thats just the way it is. That is also why we don't have a Maxima drivetrane.

Youll also notice, most of these breaks occur the first time off-road...second time...6th time for me. Not like we are tallking long term abuse.

·
on line
564 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
But you should be able to THRASH your truck with stock tires, gearing, ect without stuff exploding...

Well, maybe you're right...but everytime I've proceeded to "THRASH" any of my vehicles whether it's on the road or off-road, two wheels or four wheels, motor driven or human powered, a good percentage of the time things would break! If you wanted a bulletproof off road vehicle you should have looked elsewhere!

·
on line
131 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
The scary part is, the Frontiers are the lightest and see the least breakage. the epidemic is here.........
The weight difference is negligable. My LE CC 4x4 is actually heavier than an X. I think the only reason that the X's are breaking more is that more people wheel their X than wheel their fronty. The housing is not the issue. It is only coming apart when the ring and pinion pick up the broken pieces and spread the housing. I have seen multiple references to the housing being weak because it is aluminum, but the 03 04 Cobra's have aluminum housings and they only explode at 400+ WHP and slicks unless they are abused constantly.

·
on line
735 Posts
I think the concensus is that the front diff is too small for a 4400 lb 4x4 with a decent amount of power.

the rear can have a new carrier put in, an 8.5 inch gear is fine for a 6 cyl truck-so that isn't a deal breaker, but the front will not work hard. My gut feeling is that the cast aluminum housing will flex a bit in a weak area over cast iron, but fullsize trucks run aluminum diffs with not nearly as much trouble as this application- I think it needs to be a 200 mm or bigger piece.

so you know what you have. Relegate your X to light wheeling, grocery getting, snow driving or go to something completely custom (expensive). Perhaps in the next couple of years nissan will come out with a stout front drive that will adapt to the short control arms scheme that the fronty/Xterra uses. Basically Nissan could come up with an oem solution-a short axle that will fit the titan diff, then we would be saved.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
so you know what you have. Relegate your X to light wheeling, grocery getting, snow driving or go to something completely custom (expensive).
Why the hell should I when I paid $30k for a POS marketed as an off road vehicle, designed for enthusiasts, and drawn up by people who have seen 1st hand how they were going to be used by those enthusiasts. NISSAN has bent us over, and fawked us with no butter. I for one am really pissed, and even more happy I held off on getting that Nissan hamburger tattoo. :mumum:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
robnfl said:
lloyd Swartz said:
But you should be able to THRASH your truck with stock tires, gearing, ect without stuff exploding...

Well, maybe you're right...but everytime I've proceeded to "THRASH" any of my vehicles whether it's on the road or off-road, two wheels or four wheels, motor driven or human powered, a good percentage of the time things would break! If you wanted a bulletproof off road vehicle you should have looked elsewhere!
Just the word "THRASH" sounds pretty harsh to me. :geek:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I am curious as to where in NJ he wheels. I ran into a guy in a 00' X at the grocery store and he told me about wheelin' in NJ. The place he told me is completely illegal and the cops a cracking down. Hell they shot a man on a 4 wheeler up there. They killed him, but he fired first.

I told him don't return as it is not worth it.

·
on line
41 Posts
for me breaking parts isn't my biggest concern. i know tolerances stack up, parts vary and assemblies vary more, design/GD&T/QC inspection can only do so much and there is a huge dynamic when varied terrain and a full range of operator skill is also thrown into the mix. the biggest problem i see, and what makes me the most nervous, is rolling the warranty dice and hoping nissan will stand behind their vehicles and support current owners. from the reports on this and a few other boards it seems like you really do roll the dice w/the dealer and then nissan as well. this is particularly disheartening when the closest dealer only hires circus clowns and living brain donors.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so the guy was a n00b at offroading, we all were at one point right? But the diff still shouldn't have gone south. Yes we all know you pay to play the game, inherited part of the sport. But I would assume that lesser parts go first. I could see trashing a CV, destroying a u-joint, burning a clutch, you know...something that is a known weak link in all vehicles. But a differential?

To me, it looks like the pinion sheared, snapped, whatever...it got FUBAR'ed. If it did shear, why? Or rather, how? Maybe the spider gears went, lodges the ring, the pinion still tried to spin but he ring wouldn't budge, so the torque took it apart. Then comes the havoc to the case from all the external failures. I think the u-joint should have went waaaay ahead. Of course this is all pure speculation on my part.

And the comments about these rigs not being offroad worthy, thats a cop out. If thats the case than Nissan needs to remove the NISMO Off Road sticker from the Frontier and the Off Road badging from the Xterra. Then they need to rethink their entire marketing campaign for the trucks. The brochures need to be redone with out all the offroading in it. Same goes for the website, its all about offroad glory...they should show the vehicle hauling a bunch of groceries and offroad on the front lawn. They offer two vehicles with a package that includes "skid plates", a locker, pseudo-aggressive tires, better shocks, and cool badging. Nissan knew people were going to take these rigs offroading, especially since the web forums/clubs are hard to miss. ::sigh:: I feel like I've made this argument before.

Nissan knows whats going on but trying to ignore it. You can only sweep so much debris (in this case, differentials) under the carpet before everyone notices it. Don't get me wrong though, I love my truck and wouldn't trade it in tomorrow for any other comparibly priced 4wd. Do I keep breaking a diff in my mind all the time? Nah, but it does make me think twice before I mash the gas in 4wd. I really don't see me breaking an axle in the foreseeable future, for the only time I have a heavy foot is when I'm on solid ground and in 2wd. Now if I break an axle while in 2wd on the road.....we'll have a whole new set of worries.

</rant>

·
on line
735 Posts
Peck said:
And the comments about these rigs not being offroad worthy, thats a cop out. ...
They aren't worthy..the front diffs are going out on loose terrain..the rest of the truck is fine, but what can you do? Wait for nissan to update on future models (maybe never). trade or sell and buy into a more rugged vehicle next time around, or just don't put bigger tires, accessory weight, or a lot of throttle on it when in 4x4 low range.

Nissan might cover you once if you have stock tires. I don't see nissan doing buybacks though. Either sell the beast, SAS it on your own dime or whatever. I see mine for what it is..a versatile foul weather buggy and grocery getter. I'd like to think it was as rugged as marketing suggested, but I primarily bought it because it had 4 doors and a kick ass v6. I also used to have a semi-built tj so I didn't expect it to be the choice for rocky trail running. I think if they adapt the titan front diff into it, the problem would be solved, but i think they were trying to squeeze the gas mileage out of the truck by making the running gear have less rolling mass.

·
on line
71 Posts
The last response sums it up well.

Everything breaks:

Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, and who knew...Nissan!

I blew up my rear differential after many wheeling trips...so what!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Difference is, with my Jeep I can carry a spare of the things that most often break. I can't do that with the X.

Sure, a Jeep diff might pop, but it's most likely that the axle shaft will go first, which I have spares of, so I can get off the trail.

I am good, but I don't think I can set gears on the trail.

·
on line
71 Posts
All you would have to carry is the front diff...

If you blew the front - pull the driveline and limp it out!

If you blew the rear - pull the driveline and limp it out! (you don't have to have a SYE to do it either, tape a "modified" plastic water bottle over the output housing)

If you blow the front and the rear - Replace the front and limp it out!

And, you (and I mean you) can set gears "by feel" in an emergency, using grease as marking compound for running the pattern, and your sense of touch for pre-load and backlash...I am not saying it would necessarily last on the highway, but traveling off road at slow speeds it would do fine...I know from experience not just internet dating.

Besides, no one is forcing anyone to wheel their X :drunken:.

[/i]

·
on line
230 Posts
PacoPico said:
The last response sums it up well.

Everything breaks:

Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, and who knew...Nissan!

I blew up my rear differential after many wheeling trips...so what!
Really? As far as I know Jeep has NEVER in what 60 years had diffs that explode with a stock tire? Axles ok. NEVER heard of a Montero blowing a diff, older TLC, Older Nissan......Before you except exploding diffs on a brand new vehicle with stock drivetrain and small tires, think about how you are going to replace that rear carrier on the Rubicon or deal with that front diff with a giant Hole in it out at the end of Hole-N-The-Rock. Broken parts on modified 4x4s at some point? Part of the sport. Broken, defective engineered parts after only a few thousands miles that completely disable the vehicle, NOT NORMAL!

As far as an off-road vehicle? I have VERY bad news for you guys. At arbitration it was one of the biggest factors in deciding to sue in court as they continously denied it was an off-road vehicle! We through stacks of off-road photos from Nissans website, pictures of the badging.....Then he asked, " what were you doing when the diff exploded" I said GPS forest service trails as part of the TMP. He said " The truck was not built for that" SO WTF was it built for? Mall running?

For those that become frustrated, or have replacements denied...Its time to say it. Send me a PM and I will put you onto a list if we decide to proceed class action and need other failures to reference.

·
on line
230 Posts
Replacing an entire diff on the trail? That is just stupid, sorry Pico. But diffs would be over engineered enough that they dont break, like most any other 4x4 ever made, even with 35-37" tires. I will except replacing axles with 35" tires on RARE occasions, but not diffs. And if you think it is that easy to limp out on a single diff, you have another thing coming. Only one end driving makes getting out of a hard trail impossible without an epic effort, and lots of damage.( I have done it due to broken axles, and just destroyed a rig this summer because it ate a lunch box locker)

And the weight and size of carrying complete 3rd members on a long expedition, not to mention safety of carrying a cannon ball around in the back? NOT practical.

·
on line
71 Posts
Lloyd, I am not a novice.

I have limped off many trails with only one differential (Odyessa Canyon, Duran Canyon, and a few unnamed gulches) and even have driven over 100 miles home several occasions on only one differential (front)...none of these failures were on Nissan's BTW. I never had to "ruin" my truck to get it out. All it took was teamwork and and using your noggin to make sure everyone is safe. As far as carrying a front differential for the Xterra in the back, it isn't a big deal...ratchet straps do wonders.

As for my truck, it is not stock, and neither have any of my other "wheelers" been. As well, I have driven street cars/trucks for many years and never broken a differential. When my rear differential died on the Xterra it was on the road...and I hadn't been wheeling for 5 months when it happed, so what, everything breaks!!!!

You have your opinions and experiences, and I can appreciate that you feel hurt by your experience with Nissan. I won't say that I wouldn't be a bit miffed myself in your situation. However, if everything were as dire as you predict, Oregon X would not have been able to make the Rubicon without having to air lift his truck out...but he did make it.

If you feel so positive about Jeep, Toyota, Mitsubishi...sell the X-turd and go buy one...it's just another car. When my X-turd wears out, I'll buy whatever I want at the time, it doesn't have to be a Nissan!

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts