Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2007 off road Xterra, bought it 2 years ago from Nissan dealership. So far was OK, just some minor issues, but right now I'm having check engine light on due to faulty fuel level sensor. As far as I have half empty fuel tank, it's showing like empty. It looks like this problem is pretty common for Xterras :-( Also my passenger floor mat is soaked when AC is on which again after some research I have done on this looks like quite common problem...well with these, my main concern now is that famous transmission failure problem with the coolant mixing with transmission fluid would happen eventually. I'm still under extended warranty with my car, but once that is over, and any more issues like that I'm really thinking what would I do with it. I love Xterras and would love to keep it, but if issues would continue...... Now I'm thinking, in that case would it be smart to trade my 2007 in for a new Xterra? (Does this transmission thing continue to happen with new models or not?) or should I go with manual transmission (there might not be this transmission issue, but I'm not that familiar with manuals. I have no clue if Xterra with manual transmission would be any safer choice? There might be some other different issues known for manual transmission Xterras?). So any insight would be awesome on this.Either any experience with new models and that transmission issue or any opinions on issues with manual transmission Xterras. But of course I really hope my car would persuade me that I can trust her and that she is and will be reliable for the future..
Thanks!

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Do you use punctuation much?

I recommend that you try this again with some pause for thought and some measure of coherence.

I have 2007 off road Xterra, bought it 2 years ago from Nissan dealership.
So far was OK, just some minor issues, but right now I'm having check engine light on due to faulty fuel level sensor.
As far as I have half empty fuel tank, it's showing like empty.

It looks like this problem is pretty common for Xterras :-(
Also my passenger floor mat is soaked when AC is on which again after some research I have done on this looks like quite common problem...
well with these, my main concern now is that famous transmission failure problem with the coolant mixing with transmission fluid would happen eventually.

I'm still under extended warranty with my car, but once that is over, and any more issues like that I'm really thinking what I would do with it. I love Xterras and would love to keep it, but if issues would continue......
Now I'm thinking, in that case would it be smart to trade my 2007 in for a new Xterra?

Does this transmission thing continue to happen with new models or not?
Should I go with manual transmission (there might not be this transmission issue, but I'm not that familiar with manuals. I have no clue if Xterra with manual transmission would be any safer choice?

There might be some other different issues known for manual transmission Xterras?). So any insight would be awesome on this. Either any experience with new models and that transmission issue or any opinions on issues with manual transmission Xterra’s.

But of course I really hope my car would persuade me that I can trust her and that she is and will be reliable for the future..
There FIFY

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should do the bypass modification for the transmission.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30289&highlight=bypass+mod
yeah, for a peace of mind I probably should. I was thinking about a few things regarding it..
We live quite North and must plug our vehicles in in Winter to get going, wouldn't that bypass be a problem with this as the transmission would still be cold in the morning? And also, we have to haul water and trailer with Xterra sometimes when our truck is broken. Would it be any possible to drive Xterra with the bypass for some time and then switch those things back as they were in case we need to haul anything with Xterra?

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your Xterra is paid off, then I wouldn't upgrade just because of common issues with the Xterra, especially if your mechanically inclined at all. All vehicles will have issues, no auto manufacture makes a 100% perfect vehicle. Explore the forum and you'll see most issues are covered with How-To's to repair the issue.

The biggest thing in my mind to do is the Bypass Mod as previously noted. I have a 2005 Xterra S model and at 60,000 miles I had the dealer do a transmission flush with Matic S and then when I got home I did the bypass mod. I did not have a radiator failure but do to heavy towing I did the transmission service at 60K and then did the bypass for reassurance that I would not have any problems. I now have 109K on the Xterra and haven't had any transmission issues. It's a free mod, simple to do and will prevent the failure from happening. If you can change your own oil, you can do the mod.

As far as the other common failures - sure, I've had a cat converter failure, FSU failure, Relay failure and Cam position sensor failure...all replaced under warranty. If they weren't replaced under warranty - they are all relatively easy fixes with general hand tools and I would have done the work myself for a significant savings.

If you don't already have tools, buy yourself a descent set of general hand tools...example a craftsman 200-300 piece set with your general compliment of standard and metric sockets, wrenches and so on. Get yourself a service manual and continue to drive the Xterra until your wrenching, maintaining or repairing your vehicle at a cost higher than a car payment.

Just my $.02. People seems to get rid of vehicles way to quick because "something" may happen.

·
on line
951 Posts
Time is another factor in doing your own repairs as well. Big question for me on anything is do I have the time to do it and still be able to get to work and any other obligations I may have. I know I'm going to need a clutch soon (170k on the stock one) and I know I won't have the time to do it. If you are afraid of needing major repairs and not having the time to do them, lease a vehicle. That way you get a new ride every 2-4 years depending on the terms of the lease, and usually don't have to do any major repairs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I hate how quickly people rush to recommend bypassing the radiator, as if Nissan and most other companies run the trans fluid through there on accident and had no idea they even did it. Here is an idea, rather than bypassing, and overheating your transmission when you decide to tow with your truck, how about your drop the $150 and replace your radiator at 80k like your suppose to anyways. You are risking your transmission when most radiators only make it to about 115k before leaking anyways! And a warped head will destroy your vehicle just as fast as water in the transmission.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your Xterra is paid off, then I wouldn't upgrade just because of common issues with the Xterra, especially if your mechanically inclined at all. All vehicles will have issues, no auto manufacture makes a 100% perfect vehicle. Explore the forum and you'll see most issues are covered with How-To's to repair the issue.

The biggest thing in my mind to do is the Bypass Mod as previously noted. I have a 2005 Xterra S model and at 60,000 miles I had the dealer do a transmission flush with Matic S and then when I got home I did the bypass mod. I did not have a radiator failure but do to heavy towing I did the transmission service at 60K and then did the bypass for reassurance that I would not have any problems. I now have 109K on the Xterra and haven't had any transmission issues. It's a free mod, simple to do and will prevent the failure from happening. If you can change your own oil, you can do the mod.
As far as the other common failures - sure, I've had a cat converter failure, FSU failure, Relay failure and Cam position sensor failure...all replaced under warranty. If they weren't replaced under warranty - they are all relatively easy fixes with general hand tools and I would have done the work myself for a significant savings.

If you don't already have tools, buy yourself a descent set of general hand tools...example a craftsman 200-300 piece set with your general compliment of standard and metric sockets, wrenches and so on. Get yourself a service manual and continue to drive the Xterra until your wrenching, maintaining or repairing your vehicle at a cost higher than a car payment.

Just my $.02. People seems to get rid of vehicles way to quick because "something" may happen.
No, unfortunately the car is not paid off and probably wont be by the time my extended warranty ends :-( I'm not handy at all in fixing anything, or doing mods. Also quite frankly, so far I have a problem to find a mechanic that I would be happy with his job (long story....:-(But I guess people could learn new things all life long, right?;-)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate how quickly people rush to recommend bypassing the radiator, as if Nissan and most other companies run the trans fluid through there on accident and had no idea they even did it. Here is an idea, rather than bypassing, and overheating your transmission when you decide to tow with your truck, how about your drop the $150 and replace your radiator at 80k like your suppose to anyways. You are risking your transmission when most radiators only make it to about 115k before leaking anyways! And a warped head will destroy your vehicle just as fast as water in the transmission.
I just went thru the maintenance log manual, I don't see anywhere where they tell you to replace the radiator at 80K or any other mileage. They have you replace the hoses and cap at different intervals but not the radiator itself.

For the same price, one could bypass the radiator and upgrade their factory transmission cooler if towing / transmission heat was a concern.

I've been towing frequently for 50K miles on the bypass with no problems.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would rather not do that myself either, that's why I'm asking here if I should actually really do it, if that's the best choice. If I will have it replaced, would they replace mine from 2007 with those new ones from X 2009 up I guess? Would a new radiator solve this possible issue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, unfortunately the car is not paid off and probably wont be by the time my extended warranty ends :-( I'm not handy at all in fixing anything, or doing mods. Also quite frankly, so far I have a problem to find a mechanic that I would be happy with his job (long story....:-(But I guess people could learn new things all life long, right?;-)
You'd be surprised how easy routine maintenance and basic repairs are. Most are fully documented step by step with pictures in the Factory Service manual or Haynes manual depending on vehicle.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Fyi, your fuel sender problem should be covered under a mandatory recall if i recall correctly. Dealer should fix for free. for what its worth, i have a 6spd and love it. depending on your driving habits, or previous owner abuse, the clutch will eventually need replacing. Mine only lasted to about 175,000 km, but i blame the wife, lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just went thru the maintenance log manual, I don't see anywhere where they tell you to replace the radiator at 80K or any other mileage. They have you replace the hoses and cap at different intervals but not the radiator itself.

For the same price, one could bypass the radiator and upgrade their factory transmission cooler if towing / transmission heat was a concern.

I've been towing frequently for 50K miles on the bypass with no problems.
Your radiator will eventually fail on you and leave you stranded. In my experience they fail between 100k-120k, no that isn't in a manual, that is based on my own personal experience. I haven't heard of anyone getting the SMOD before about 80k, so my recommendation is to change the radiator before that time.
As to you, you have been towing for 50k miles and haven't had an issue, allow me to congratulate you, congratulations. The reality here is that you have an engineered system. I am not a chemical or thermal engineer, my degree is in electronics, but I understand that Nissan developed this radiator design with intent to perform a specific function, for which you have bypassed.
With this said, transmission fluid and temperatures have many many variables, 2 or 4 wheel drive, temperature, load, incline/decline, speed, altitude all play a roll in how your transmission performs. So, when you bypass the radiator you are bypassing Nissan's calculations and testing under all different circumstances. Now I could continue, and state that not only does the radiator being tied to the transmission help cool it down while moving, but it also helps warm it up on a cold start, and it also creates a maximum temperature under hi load and low air flow. But as I said, my knowledge is limited, and I don't have full knowledge of all these topics. But when you bypass the radiator, and get a transmission cooler that doesn't work the same as the original, you better have a good understanding of all these things, because there are many articles right here on thenewx describing people who have done the bypass and recorded extremely high tranny temps in certain conditions, when 95% of the time the temp is within spec. Also, a transmission company published a graph a while back demonstrating temp vs life. There is a direct correlation to tranny life and temp it runs, so though it may be fine now, you may get 150k while the average non bypassed gets 250k out of their transmission. Just saying, if you are going to go and mess with a designed system, I hope you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your radiator will eventually fail on you and leave you stranded. In my experience they fail between 100k-120k, no that isn't in a manual, that is based on my own personal experience. I haven't heard of anyone getting the SMOD before about 80k, so my recommendation is to change the radiator before that time.
As to you, you have been towing for 50k miles and haven't had an issue, allow me to congratulate you, congratulations. The reality here is that you have an engineered system. I am not a chemical or thermal engineer, my degree is in electronics, but I understand that Nissan developed this radiator design with intent to perform a specific function, for which you have bypassed.
With this said, transmission fluid and temperatures have many many variables, 2 or 4 wheel drive, temperature, load, incline/decline, speed, altitude all play a roll in how your transmission performs. So, when you bypass the radiator you are bypassing Nissan's calculations and testing under all different circumstances. Now I could continue, and state that not only does the radiator being tied to the transmission help cool it down while moving, but it also helps warm it up on a cold start, and it also creates a maximum temperature under hi load and low air flow. But as I said, my knowledge is limited, and I don't have full knowledge of all these topics. But when you bypass the radiator, and get a transmission cooler that doesn't work the same as the original, you better have a good understanding of all these things, because there are many articles right here on thenewx describing people who have done the bypass and recorded extremely high tranny temps in certain conditions, when 95% of the time the temp is within spec. Also, a transmission company published a graph a while back demonstrating temp vs life. There is a direct correlation to tranny life and temp it runs, so though it may be fine now, you may get 150k while the average non bypassed gets 250k out of their transmission. Just saying, if you are going to go and mess with a designed system, I hope you know what you are doing.
If you haven't seen or heard of anyone having the failure before 80K then you need to look at the SMOD Hit List... http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62655 there are plenty that are documented to have happened before 80K.

It's not worth arguing as arguing over the internet or forum is pointless as i'm sure you'll agree (or maybe argue that too) but Nissan has to design a vehicle that will fit the masses and be reliable. There are plenty of companies that provide parts that exceed the performance of the factory designed items as they have a specific task and individual looking for them. Just like Nissan didn't put on 40" tires with a 6" lift as the masses didn't need that and realistically most won't use 4X4 except in the snow. That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't upgrade to those type of components if they will fit your needs. So upgrading a radiator cooler, if it fits YOUR needs would be acceptable.

A properly maintained radiator, meaning flushes, replacing hoses and caps can last a LONG time. Alot of radiator leaks are caused by punctures from rocks, worn out components or so on.

If the person maintains their transmission regularly also it will last a LONG time.

It's all subjective really.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fyi, your fuel sender problem should be covered under a mandatory recall if i recall correctly. Dealer should fix for free. for what its worth, i have a 6spd and love it. depending on your driving habits, or previous owner abuse, the clutch will eventually need replacing. Mine only lasted to about 175,000 km, but i blame the wife, lol.
Was this recall also issued for Canada?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts