Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little while ago when installing a hitch, i accidentally cross threaded one of the two bolts that go on the "arm" of the hitch (the single bolt farthest away from the group of three on each side) since the frame is boxed i cant get to that bolt.

If i get a shrock rear bumper, can i bolt on the three bolts on each side that hold on the stock bumper, and then weld on the back part (actually closer to the front) instead of figuring out how to get a bolt into the boxed frame?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You could. I am not a fan of welding things to the frame that doesn't need to be.

Why not tap the nut out to a larger size and then drill a larger hole in the bumper?

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I agree with Muzikman on this. Welding is not preferable. If there is only a slight bit of cross-threading, you may be able to use the same size tap, and just run the tap along the existing threads to clean out the burr or whatever is in there. If it is real bad, then just drill/tap it out like Muzikman suggested.

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i snapped the weldnut off the frame because it was cross threaded, so i cant just re-tap the hole.

I think i'm going to take off the rear bumper and just weld a nut on the end of a metal rod and try to bolt it on that way

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Take it too a good weld shop and see what they can do. They might be able to replace the nut by cutting and patching the frame.

·
on line
358 Posts
I would weld a nut to a plate (2"x2" or so) and as you mentioned a rod for placement. Hold the nut by hand in place with the rod and insert the bolt. You could also have someone drill a hole and weld a round tube through the frame and bolt through the frame. The tube will alow you to torque the bolt without crushing the frame rail.

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just took care of it earlier today. I welded a piece of scrap steel to a nut (so it couldnt spin freely in the boxed frame) and bolted it on like that

worked like a charm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts