Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new custom plans for my X & I need some input. Instead of dropping ~$500 on a new rear bumper, and since the only thing I really want on the rear is a couple D-rings, I'm gonna have D-ring tabs welded on to my stock bumper. I've taken a look under the bumper & pulled around on it and it seems pretty sturdy. I may have the shop that's doing the welding reinforce it on the inside if they don't think it will hold up though. What do you guys think?
Also, what, in your opinion, is the best liner to use for exterior lining? Herculiner, Rhino, Line-X, whatever is available and cheap? I am going to line my rear bumper, rear side steps, plastic side trim pieces, and probably my grill and anything else that looks like it needs to be lined.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
No way... stock bumper is way too lightweight for doing something like that. An alternate would be to notch a hole and slide something through to bolt to the frame, but I haven't looked to see if this is feasible with space and such. Otherwise, use your hitch (or get one) and get a receiver-mounted shackle.

As for coatings, Rhino or Line-X will be a much better product, but the Herculiner is cheap. Likes to collect dust, too, but I suppose that is what car washes are for.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
You will flat out rip the stock bumper off if you would try to use it for recovery. Reinforcing it won't do any good. The wings that bolt it to the frame will not hold up.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muzikman said:
You will flat out rip the stock bumper off if you would try to use it for recovery. Reinforcing it won't do any good. The wings that bolt it to the frame will not hold up.
Dammit, well there goes me trying to be cheap and ingenuitive. I took my receiver off to increase departure angle, plus I never tow anything. Maybe I'll put it back on, probably not, I hate how it drags on everything when offroading.
I'll just stick to lining for now. Basically just scuff up the parts to be lined really good & roll/paint the lining on?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
Put the hitch back on and bang away on it. Now if you don't hit the hitch, you will most likely hit the bumper. I know I did. My stock rear bumper is all smashed up from dropping off ledges. After installing the hitch, it saved the bumper (wish I would had put it on sooner). Now I got the Shrock bumper so it doesn't matter.
 

·
TNX Administrator
Joined
·
20,232 Posts
Re: Weld-on D-ring tabs & Herculining/Line-Xing/Rhino Li

rs182 said:
I'm gonna have D-ring tabs welded on to my stock bumper. I've taken a look under the bumper & pulled around on it and it seems pretty sturdy. What do you guys think?
BAD IDEA!! This is what the bumper looks like removed and it is basically made out of tin foil!!

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5001
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Here is what I had in mind...



Kind of hard to picture maybe, but makes since to me. Fab up some plate with D-ring mounts on the one side, notch the bumper so you can slide the plate through, then bolt it on similar to how the Shrock mounts- directly to the frame.





Again, not sure if work, but don't know why it wouldn't. This way, you wouldn't be bolting to the factory top-tin in any way... straight to the frame. But, seems like a lot of work for what it is (especially if you have to pay a shop to do it... $$$). I'm with Muzik... just bolt the hitch back on and bang the heck out of it. Hurts your departure angle, but saves the bumper.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
266 Posts
here's an idea:

get a pathfinder (05+) tow hitch and mount that to your frame. Cut out part of the stock bumper to allow the reciever to protrude from the back. Use that for recovery, and it wont affect your departure angle.

The pathfinder hitch is higher than the x hitch (i believe) look at this picture: http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/NissanPathfinder/Images2005/RightRear.jpg

all in all this would probably be a lot more effort than required to just buy a new rear bumper
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
Here is what I had in mind...

Kind of hard to picture maybe, but makes since to me. Fab up some plate with D-ring mounts on the one side, notch the bumper so you can slide the plate through, then bolt it on similar to how the Shrockworks mounts- directly to the frame.


Again, not sure if work, but don't know why it wouldn't. This way, you wouldn't be bolting to the factory top-tin in any way... straight to the frame. But, seems like a lot of work for what it is (especially if you have to pay a shop to do it... $$$). I'm with Muzik... just bolt the hitch back on and bang the heck out of it. Hurts your departure angle, but saves the bumper.
The only problem I see with this is off angle pulls. That would put a lot of tress on the bolts since the force would not be transfered across the entire bumper. You might be able to reinforce it, but by that point, might as well just make an entire bumper.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcampana said:
Jason, isnt this the dude who has the big ass 35 inch tires on it? I dont think he actually wheels enough to make a difference about banging anything back there.
Haha, soon enough brother. Can't do much with my rear tires crushing up into my fenders. Gonna get that taken care of and hopefully hit the trails in a couple weekends. Well I'm either gonna put that dumbass hitch back on or buy the Shrock rear bumper. Probably just use the hitch since all my money needs to go to my suspension again. Gonna gather my supplies to line my plastic pieces this week, hopefully get it done this weekend.
Also, the idea of doing a spring-over in the rear instead of getting Alcan packs is creeping back into my mind...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
rs182 said:
mcampana said:
Jason, isnt this the dude who has the big ass 35 inch tires on it? I dont think he actually wheels enough to make a difference about banging anything back there.
Haha, soon enough brother. Can't do much with my rear tires crushing up into my fenders. Gonna get that taken care of and hopefully hit the trails in a couple weekends. Well I'm either gonna put that dumbass hitch back on or buy the Shrockworks rear bumper. Probably just use the hitch since all my money needs to go to my suspension again. Gonna gather my supplies to line my plastic pieces this week, hopefully get it done this weekend.
Also, the idea of doing a spring-over in the rear instead of getting Alcan packs is creeping back into my mind...
I was just about to stick up for him on this one. I think he's waiting until he's got all the bugs worked with the suspension and those 35s before he hits the trail and trashes something.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OregonX said:
rs182 said:
mcampana said:
Jason, isnt this the dude who has the big ass 35 inch tires on it? I dont think he actually wheels enough to make a difference about banging anything back there.
Haha, soon enough brother. Can't do much with my rear tires crushing up into my fenders. Gonna get that taken care of and hopefully hit the trails in a couple weekends. Well I'm either gonna put that dumbass hitch back on or buy the Shrockworks rear bumper. Probably just use the hitch since all my money needs to go to my suspension again. Gonna gather my supplies to line my plastic pieces this week, hopefully get it done this weekend.
Also, the idea of doing a spring-over in the rear instead of getting Alcan packs is creeping back into my mind...
I was just about to stick up for him on this one. I think he's waiting until he's got all the bugs worked with the suspension and those 35s before he hits the trail and trashes something.
Thanks brother!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone got any tips on bedlining the exterior plastic pieces on the X that I listed? I found a how-to on a Jeep site about how to bedline the interior of a Jeep, I'm assuming its pretty much the same method for prepping and lining plastic.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
A rough and clean surface is your friend.

I have not done my corner steps yet, but I would hit them with a really course grit sand paper and wash them with soap and water and then Xylene.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Muzikman said:
A rough and clean surface is your friend.

I have not done my corner steps yet, but I would hit them with a really course grit sand paper and wash them with soap and water and then Xylene.
Thanks Muzikman. Any suggestions on how to apply an even coat on the corner steps? I don't think the roller is going to be able to get into some of the corners on the inside of the step.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
They make a special (and not too expensive) bed liner gun. It puts the coating on a bit smoother than rolling it on, but it works. A guy in the local club did his sliders with one and it worked out well. If you want I can find out what brand and model gun he used.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Muzikman said:
They make a special (and not too expensive) bed liner gun. It puts the coating on a bit smoother than rolling it on, but it works. A guy in the local club did his sliders with one and it worked out well. If you want I can find out what brand and model gun he used.
Does it require compressed air or anything? Yea if you don't mind I'd like to know where to get that.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top