Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

WELCOME To TheNewX!!! [Own a 2011-2015 Xterra?]

12K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  roXterra 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This info gets posted in almost every welcome thread to help people new to Xterras and the Forum out. I thought I'd try to condense this a bit so we can only link one thread or refer them to it in this forum.

First things first!

WELCOME To TheNewX!!!
After you have read through these threads, have a look at our Frequently Asked Xterra Questions FAXQ thread where you can find other good info on the Second Gen Xterra in general and maybe get a few ideas of early mods!

The 2011-2015 Xterras are widely reguarded to be the more trouble-free of the years that Nissan produced the 2nd Generation Xterra. The issues with SMOD, the secondary timing chain tensioners and other production issues were mostly behind us by then. There are still a few issues that have to be dealt with as with any aging vehicle. Hopefully this info will help you enjoy many years of service from your Xterra!

Catalytic Converters
There have been many instances of the converters coming apart inside and clogging up the secondaries and causing lost power and stalling. It's believed by some that this can also lead to engine loss due to the nature of the EGR function of our engine.

Replacement Converter Tracking and Info Thread

Rear Diff Breather Mod
This affects all years of the Second Gen Xterra. The factory rear differential breather is a small plastic cap on a nipple screwed into the passenger side axle tube. It gets clogged with dirt and road debris very easily and will not allow the differential to properly vent excess pressure caused by heat. This leads to blown out axle seals and the appearance of differential oil on your rear brakes which limits their function. Since it is also not above the axle, it's an easy place for water to enter your rear axle and cause damage to the internals. This mod is considered very important and I think all members here would say that you need to do it regardless of how you intend to use your Xterra.

Rear Diff Breather Mod How-To

If you feel like I got something wrong or need to add anything, please PM me instead of posting to keep the thread concise! -Terry

See less See more
#11 ·
This info gets posted in almost every welcome thread to help people new to Xterras and the Forum out. I thought I'd try to condense this a bit so we can only link one thread or refer them to it in this forum.

First things first!

WELCOME To TheNewX!!!
After you have read through these threads, have a look at our Frequently Asked Xterra Questions FAXQ thread where you can find other good info on the Second Gen Xterra in general and maybe get a few ideas of early mods!

The 2011-2015 Xterras are widely reguarded to be the more trouble-free of the years that Nissan produced the 2nd Generation Xterra. The issues with SMOD, the secondary timing chain tensioners and other production issues were mostly behind us by then. There are still a few issues that have to be dealt with as with any aging vehicle. Hopefully this info will help you enjoy many years of service from your Xterra!

Catalytic Converters
There have been many instances of the converters coming apart inside and clogging up the secondaries and causing lost power and stalling. It's believed by some that this can also lead to engine loss due to the nature of the EGR function of our engine.​

Rear Diff Breather Mod
This affects all years of the Second Gen Xterra. The factory rear differential breather is a small plastic cap on a nipple screwed into the passenger side axle tube. It gets clogged with dirt and road debris very easily and will not allow the differential to properly vent excess pressure caused by heat. This leads to blown out axle seals and the appearance of differential oil on your rear brakes which limits their function. Since it is also not above the axle, it's an easy place for water to enter your rear axle and cause damage to the internals. This mod is considered very important and I think all members here would say that you need to do it regardless of how you intend to use your Xterra.​

If you feel like I got something wrong or need to add anything, please PM me instead of posting to keep the thread concise! -Terry
Just joined the forum; bought a 13' pro 4x about 6 months ago. I just had to replace a seal and bearing in my rear passenger side axle and I checked my diff breather out. Mine is on top of the axle housing about 18" or so toward the pumpkin from the rotor. My breather has a spring loaded check valve and upon removal, it was clean and operational. Is this spring loaded check valve an aftermarket addition???

#13 ·
I love this thread and the pointer to key how to threads. Except with a 2006 OR Xterra, I feel like I belong at the back of the bus. With all the other degenerates.

In passing, the rear differential plugged up breather issue/hose behind the tail light option as well as the catalytic converter hassles are very much experienced by owners of 2005 to 2010 Xterras. Perhaps even more so given the relative age.

- westslope, ridin' the back of the bus.

P.S. It is indeed true that by 2011 many of the 'issues' had been (finally) ironed-out. If I had only known..... Argh.

#14 ·
Just picked up a Lava Red 2012 Xterra S. Only 31,606 miles on it! Runs great and looks great. Dealership but new tires and did break job before I bought it. I just want to spruce up all the faded grey trim. Or get all the plastic black or bed lined. Only thing I don't like is I'm getting like 10 miles a gallon opposed to like 16 I should be. I'm not driving it hard either. But I love it. I actually bought a 2019 Honda Crv for the gas mileage but it just wasn't me. Crown Nissan has a 500 Mile 7 day exhange policy so they switched it out for me. I have 1 year less of payments and $140 less a month compared to 2019 honda crv with 29,000 miles which I'm sure I'll spend more then that on the extra gas lmao.

#17 ·
It's an Anti-spam thing so, all you have to do is get 10 Posts and 10 Days as a Member. Explore the site and make 8 more posts and you'll be there...

#19 ·
NICE. Another Lava Red owner. I did some back to black and the grey looks much better when it's dark grey and not the faded light grey. I may even prefer it over black now. Thanks. I do want some different rims and bigger tires prob graphite or black rims. 2.5 inch lift would be plenty for me. I wish I could of found a pro 4x 2015 near me.

#22 ·

First things first!

WELCOME To TheNewX!!!

Catalytic Converters
There have been many instances of the converters coming apart inside and clogging up the secondaries and causing lost power and stalling. It's believed by some that this can also lead to engine loss due to the nature of the EGR function of our engine.​

Rear Diff Breather Mod
This affects all years of the Second Gen Xterra. The factory rear differential breather is a small plastic cap on a nipple screwed into the passenger side axle tube. It gets clogged with dirt and road debris very easily and will not allow the differential to properly vent excess pressure caused by heat. This leads to blown out axle seals and the appearance of differential oil on your rear brakes which limits their function. Since it is also not above the axle, it's an easy place for water to enter your rear axle and cause damage to the internals. This mod is considered very important and I think all members here would say that you need to do it regardless of how you intend to use your Xterra.​

Good to know.