Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
TNX Administrator
20,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to the Rocky Mountain States Region for the best of the best!

http://www.answers.com/topic/mountain-states?cat=travel

Take the [Poll] as to your location within the region: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7167

Stats: Arizona
Abbreviation: AZ
Capital City: Phoenix
Date of Statehood: Feb. 14, 1912
State #: 48
Population: 5,130,632
Area: 114006 sq.mi. Land 113642 sq. mi. Water 364 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, cotton, dairy products, lettuce, nursery stock, hay;
Industry: copper and other mining, electric equipment, transportation equipment, machinery, printing and publishing, food processing, electronics, tourism
Where the name comes from: Based on Spanish interpretation of "arizuma," an Aztec Indian word meaning "silver-bearing;" and Pima Indian word "arizonac" for "little spring place"
State Bird: Cactus Wren
State Flower: Saguaro Blossom
About the Flag: Adopted in 1917, the 13 rays of red and gold on the top half of the flag represent both the 13 original colonies of the Union, and the rays of the Western setting sun. The bottom half of the flag has the same Liberty blue as the United States flag. Since Arizona was the largest producer of copper in the nation, a copper star was placed in the flag's center.
State Motto: Ditat Deus -- God enriches
State Nickname: The Grand Canyon State
State Song: Arizona
State Fossil: Araucarioxylon arizonicum (Petrified wood)
State Reptile: Arizona Ridge-Nosed Rattlesnake

Stats: Colorado
Abbreviation: CO
Capital City: Denver
Date of Statehood: Aug. 1, 1876
State #: 38
Population: 4,301,261
Area: 104100 sq.mi. Land 103730 sq. mi. Water 371 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, wheat, dairy products, corn, hay;
Industry: scientific instruments, food processing, transportation equipment, machinery, chemical products, gold and other mining, tourism
Where the name comes from: Taken from the Spanish for the color red, signifying the Colorado river
State Bird: Lark Bunting
State Flower: Rocky Mountain Columbine
About the Flag: Adopted in 1911, Colorado's flag consists of three alternate stripes of equal width and at right angles to the staff, the two outer stripes being blue and the middle stripe white. A circular red C graces the flag, with a golden disk completely filling the open space inside the letter. Attached to the flag is a cord of gold and silver, intertwined, with tassels, one of gold and one of silver.
State Motto: Nil sine Numine -- Nothing without Providence
State Nickname: Centennial State / Colorful Colorado
State Song: Where the Columbines Grow
State Dinosaur: Stegosaurus stenops
State Reptile: Western Painted Turtle

Stats: Idaho
Abbreviation: ID
Capital City: Boise
Date of Statehood: Jul. 3, 1890
State #: 43
Population: 1,293,953
Area: 83574 sq.mi. Land 82751 sq. mi. Water 823 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, potatoes, dairy products, wheat, sugar beets, barley;
Industry: food processing, lumber and wood products, machinery, chemical products, paper products, silver and other mining, tourism
Where the name comes from: Idaho is a coined or invented word
State Bird: Mountain Bluebird
State Flower: Syringa
About the Flag: The silk flag, adopted in 1907, is a blue field, bordered with gilt fringe, with Idaho's state seal, in the center. A woman represents liberty, justice and equality; a man is a miner. The pictures on the shield represent the main industries of forestry, farming and mining. The cornucopias, or horns of plenty, are symbols of abundance. The elks head representing wildlife appears under the words "Esto perpetua" (Let it be perpetual). The words "State of Idaho" are embroidered in block letters.
State Motto: Esto perpetua -- Let it be perpetual
State Nickname: Gem State
State Song: Here We Have Idaho
State Fossil: Equus simplicidens Hagerman horse fossil

Stats: Montana
Abbreviation: MT
Capital City: Helena
Date of Statehood: Nov. 8, 1889
State #: 41
Population: 902,195
Area: 147046 sq.mi. Land 145556 sq. mi. Water 1490 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, wheat, barley, sugar beets, hay, hogs;
Industry: mining, lumber and wood products, food processing, tourism
Where the name comes from: Based on Spanish word for "mountainous"
State Bird: Western Meadowlark
State Flower: Bitterroot
About the Flag: Under the word "Montana", on a blue field, is the state seal. The seal shows some of Montana's beautiful scenery and what people were doing in pioneer times. The pick, shovel and plow represent mining and farming. In the background a sun rises over mountains, forests and the Great Falls of the Missouri River. A ribbon contains the state motto, "Gold and Silver". The flag wa adopted in 1905 and amended in 1981.
State Motto: Oro y plata -- Gold and Silver
State Nickname: Treasure State
State Song: Montana
State Dinosaur: Maiasaura peeblesorum

Stats: Nevada
Abbreviation: NV
Capital City: Carson City
Date of Statehood: Oct. 31, 1864
State #: 36
Population: 1,998,257
Area: 110567 sq.mi. Land 109806 sq. mi. Water 761 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, hay, dairy products, potatoes;
Industry: tourism, mining, machinery, printing and publishing, food processing, electric equipment
Where the name comes from: Nevada takes its name from a Spanish word meaning snow-clad.
State Bird: Mountain Bluebird
State Flower: Sagebrush
About the Flag: On a cobalt blue background in the upper left quarter is a five-pointed silver star between two sprays of sagebrush crossed to form a half wreath; across the top of the wreath is a golden scroll with the words, in black letters, "Battle Born." The name "Nevada" is beneath the star in gold letters. The current Nevada State Flag design was adopted in 1929, and revised in 1991.
State Motto: All for our country
State Nickname: The Sagebrush State/The Silver State
State Song: Home Means Nevada
State Fossil: Shonisaurus popularis (Berlin Ichthyosaur)
State Reptile: Desert Tortoise

Stats: New Mexico
Abbreviation: NM
Capital City: Santa Fe
Date of Statehood: Jan. 6, 1912
State #: 47
Population: 1,819,046
Area: 121593 sq.mi. Land 121359 sq. mi. Water 234 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, dairy products, hay, nursery stock, chilies;
Industry: electric equipment, petroleum and coal products, food processing, printing and publishing, stone, glass, and clay products, tourism
Where the name comes from: Named by the Spanish for the lands north of the Rio Grande River.
State Bird: Roadrunner
State Flower: Yucca Flower
About the Flag: The yellow field and red symbol colors are the colors of Spain. On New Mexico's flag is a red sun with rays streching out from it. There are four groups of rays with four rays in each group -- an ancient sun symbol of a Native American people called the Zia. The Zia believed that the giver of all good gave them gifts in groups of four. These gifts are: the four directions, the four seasons, the day (sunrise, noon, evening, night), and life (childhood, youth, middle years and old age), all bound by a circle of life and love, with no beginning or end.
State Motto: Crescit eundo -- It grows as it goes
State Nickname: Land of Enchantment
State Song: O, Fair New Mexico
State Dinosaur: Coelophysis bauri (Coelophysis ) (Ghost Ranch Quarry)
State Reptile: New Mexico Whiptail Lizard

Stats: Utah
Abbreviation: UT
Capital City: Salt Lake City
Date of Statehood: Jan. 4, 1896
State #: 45
Population: 2,233,169
Area: 84904 sq.mi. Land 82168 sq. mi. Water 2736 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, dairy products, hay, turkeys;
Industry: machinery, aerospace, mining, food processing, electric equipment, tourism
Where the name comes from: Taken from the name of the Ute Indians, whose name means "people of the mountains"
State Bird: California Seagull
State Flower: Sego Lily
About the Flag: On a blue field, appears the state seal. In the center of the seal is a beehive, the state emblem, with a sego lily growing on either side. The sego lily stands for peace. The state motto "Industry" means steady effort. A national flag shows that Utah supports the United States. The eagle stands for protection in peace and war. The date, 1847, is the year that Brigham Young led a group to the Salt Lake Valley to reestablish the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons). The date, 1896, represents the year that Utah gained admission to the United States.
State Motto: Industry
State Nickname: The Beehive State
State Song: Utah, We Love Thee
State Dinosaur: Allosaurus fragilis
State Fossil: Coal - this "fossil" fuel is listed as Utah's "official rock"

Stats: Wyoming
Abbreviation: WY
Capital City: Cheyenne
Date of Statehood: Jul. 10, 1890
State #: 44
Population: 493,782
Area: 97818 sq.mi. Land 97105 sq. mi. Water 714 sq.mi.
Economy:
Agriculture: cattle, sugar beets, sheep, hay, wheat;
Industry: mining, chemical products, lumber and wood products, printing and publishing, machinery, tourism
Where the name comes from: Based on an Algonquin or Delaware Indian word meaning "large prairie place"
State Bird: Western Meadowlark
State Flower: Indian Paintbrush
About the Flag: A bison, with the state seal branded on its side, stands on a blue field bordered in white and red. The woman represents the state motto "Equal Rights" and the two men represent cattle ranchers and miners. The words "Livestock," "Mines," "Grains," and "Oil" represent Wyoming's wealth. The eagle and shield show support for the United States. The dates 1869 and 1890 indicate when Wyoming organized as a territory of the United States and when it became a state.
State Motto: Equal rights
State Nickname: Equality State
State Song: Wyoming
State Dinosaur: Triceratops (Triceratops horridus)
State Fossil: Knightia (fossil herring fish from the Green River Formation)
State Reptile: Horned Toad

·
on line
15,651 Posts
kneebuster said:
Glad to see that the regional forums are back. Let's hope they're here to stay this time.
That's up to you guys. :)

I hope people like the region breakdown we used. As I said in the announcement, if it's good enough for the US government, it's good enough for us.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
sweet I'm rolling with the Colorado crew

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Nice, I was worried I was gunna be stuck with the CA guys....LOL...wheeeew! :)

·
on line
2,004 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Nice, I was worried I was gunna be stuck with the CA guys....LOL...wheeeew! :)
Ur stuck with one cali guy here. what'ya going to do :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:

·
on line
332 Posts
this is going to make 4 wheeling easier this summer, i check this website more then the clubs website.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I wish I could make it out to Colorado for some wheeling. u know what, I might do it!

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I have to admit, I've been waiting to see if these get pulled again...

For me, I don't mind AZ being in the Mountain states forum. It would be cool to do a run with some out-of-state Xs. In January, a bunch of us from AZ, NV, and CA went to Vegas for a run. I'd be up for a run in the four corners region.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7132

Some pretty cool facts...

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Im down, Ill try and get some Utah guys(If there are any) to go, but the AZ and NM guys should head up as well..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts