Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two posts in a row, I know. I have this odd problem when i am driving around 65, 75, and 85 when it is raining or the road is wet. I get this drone/vibration so loud I can feel it in the floorboards, and over the radio even when it is turned up. Any insight? I drove on the same roads two days in a row, once wet, once not, and I only got the noise when it is wet, so I know it isnt a pavement grooving or anything like that
Russ

·
on line
1,407 Posts
FYI - The rain hits the rear wheel wells and resonates through the cab pretty bad. I added a bunch of sound deadener back there and it seemed to quiet it down a lot in the rain.

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naw, on the suspension/wheel mods, all stock. Shes been doing it since day one, and I have been meaning to take it to a nissan dealer but i moved out of town so it is a 45min drive back to one. That is the second time some one might have mentioned it being a resonation sound, but good lord man that is loud.
Russ

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so two dealerships in one day could not figure out the sound. I did manage to get the adjustable cam bolts installed by one of the dealers. The ride along went swell until the service tech said "woo something aint right" then proceded to take 3 other mechanics out for rides and couldnt figure the sound out. They took my fender liner out, and it still made the noise. They rotated the tires and still made the noise. I had an alignment done, and it still makes the noise. I am wonder what it takes to get them to take this cursed Xterra back so I can get a new one, or possibly something as far away from a Nissan as possible. With those things mentioned is any body aware of anything else it could be. I have heard anywhere from Transfer case oil, front diff oil, rear diff oil. I can definetly tell the noise is coming from Front Passenger corner. ANY suggestion please, please I beg of thee help me.
Russ

·
on line
735 Posts
the only vibe I have experienced is when I accidentally got back onto the highway in 4-Hi and the front driveshaft imparted some sound/vibes into the chassis.

When I used to fix imports back in the 90's, high mileage japanese and german cars would make a god awful noise inside when one of the front hub bearings was going out. Have you hit a curb or anything?..that'l dent a ball bearing in one. Funny thing is that you can't be sure what side it is coming from and the wheels don't sound bad on the outside. This is because the bearing brinneling and roughness in the bearing race transmits the noise to the chassis (which can only be heard inside).

one way to check that noise is to get up to about 40-60 mph when it is good and loud and swerve left and right. the noise may get louder on the side with the weight transfering down on that wheel.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Did they check for a warped Disc rotor ????--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Do you have a Manual Trans and does this happen at high RPMS?

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No on the curbage issue, the truck hasnt even seen a gravel road, no OR, no mudding, no damage at all. For once I take great care of a vehicle and bites me in the ass some how, every car I thrash runs like a champ.... They havent checked rotors..maybe the should but it is never underbreaking when it does it. And as for high rpms, no It does it only at interstate speed when wet. It does it when I decelerate, it does it with no passengers, it does it with 4 passengers. its an Auto. The 4wd display reads 2wd. stock tires, stock suspension, stock damn near everything except k&n. ...I think I have no idea what to do

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I've heard stories of loose catalytic convertors, which rattle inside the pipes and cause a vibration like you describe.

I either have that problem, or my clutch cylinder on the gearbox is rattling at High RPMs. Gotta take mine into the dealer to get that figured out sometime. Last time I took it they told me they wouldn't try and diagnose it until I remove the non-OEM hitch, because the tailpipe vibrates ever so slightly on it when cranking the X - Dumbasses.

·
on line
204 Posts
RiNkY said:
Last time I took it they told me they wouldn't try and diagnose it until I remove the non-OEM hitch, because the tailpipe vibrates ever so slightly on it when cranking the X - Dumbasses.
That sounds like a load of BS to me. A non OEM hitch should not have anything to do with the dealership performaning warranty service to your X. That would not sit well with me. What brand is your hitch?

·
on line
2,081 Posts
That's the service Dept at Brown & Brown in Mesa for you - I think basically they couldn't figure out the problem, so they fobbed me off with that lame ass excuse. I'll be taking it to another dealership near where I work in the new year. I buy my cars from their awesome sales dept, but the service dept sucks.

The hitch was purchased on Ebay from someone local in Phoenix. They are made in Phoenix but I can't remember the name of the Manufacturer. I need to bend the tailpipe down an inch so it doesn't hit the hitch - simple fix.

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah it isnt at high rpm, well i guess it is there if you mash it, but it makes the noise regardless of gear, 3-5. no matter where it is. I can be accelerating, I can be delecerating. Now my HUGE delima is; Drive it, and keep it, and keep bugging the service people until finally shoot me, or trade it in. Now a Chevy dealer has offered me 1,000 to 1500 more than what I owe on the truck..keep in mind I have had it 3.5 months, and 12,000 off a 40,000 dollar truck. I am oh oh oh so tempted to take the deal on a brand new top of the line truck, for an extra 120 dollars a month, and have luxuries like leather, and a steering wheel with more buttons than degrees of rotation. I dont know I love the Xterra but hate the service, and the fact it has a noise no one can tell me if it is life threatning or not.
Russ

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --There must be CHEVY forums--RIGHT--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I just dont know whether or not to give up on Nissans. I give everything one shot, and if you cant earn my trust in one shot, then you's be done. So I just dont know, a Brand New Xterra seeing as how I am 22 years old is a big flippin deal to me. I gave them alot of money, and it aint right and no one is helping me at the dealerships. Bump that

·
on line
735 Posts
After thinking about it, I'm almost sure one of the u-joints on your driveshaft is bad. wetness makes it act up, possibly. the rear most joint on the X is a CV deal with a boot, so check that to see if it ripped open and the grease came out. Otherwise the other joints are the regular kind. the big clues were "when wet" and driving in 3 gear or higher.

if you are good with tools, take one d/s off and eliminate each as a possibility . first take the front one off and test drive, then take the rear off and carefully drive in 4-hi and listen to it. the dealership would take too damn long. maybe you'll get lucky and spot a spun cap from the fragged joint.

ON EDIT..be careful that fluid doesn't spill out of the slip yoke, I forgot about that.

·
on line
641 Posts
rusticle4 said:
Yeah I just dont know whether or not to give up on Nissans.
When something bad happens to you, or your vehicle, it's no fun, and sometimes feels like "the whole world is against you". Certainly there are good and bad dealerships.

Here's what I would suggest. Take everything personal out of your X, including the insurance papers. If you have aftermarket mods, if possible remove them. If they can't be removed, photograph them, make a list of them(including specifics such as model and serial numbers), sign that list, and make a photocopy of the list.

Phone the dealership where you bought the X, and book a service appointment for after the holidays(i.e. whenever is convenient for you). Tell them it's about the problem you are having. Tell them you need a "service loaner vehicle". If it was me, I'd insist that it be another X, with the same transmission(AT or MT) as you have in yours.

If they won't give you an X for the service loaner, ask to be transfered to the switchboard so that you can speak to the dealership's owner. Don't let them put you on hold - make them take immediate action or make immediate decisions. Of course you could do these steps in person at the dealership. Especially if you had phoned the day before, or the hour before, and knew that the owner would be on the premises.

Worst case, you get a service loaner that isn't an X. You take your X in for your appointment. You put the signed list of "your stuff" that is attached to the X in the glovebox. Before you do, write down the mileage. After you get the keys to the service loaner, you give them one of the keys to your X(but no remote control key fob), explain that there are no insurance papers in the X, and no personal items, and that when they have diagnosed, and fixed the problem, they can call you to schedule a convenient time for you to return their service loaner and pickup your X.

Tell them that when you pick up your X you expect it to be cleaned inside and out, witha fresh oil change.

Give them a printout of your postings on here, including about the Chevy dealership's offer, and explain to them that they have the chance to retain you as a Nissan customer, make you a happy Nissan owner, and to prove that Nissan is a better choice than Chevrolet. Remind them that you are young, and that one bad experience with Nissan might ruin a lifetime of opportunities for Nissan to sell you vehicles.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
rusticle4,

You and I are in the same boat, as far as being 22,23 and having recently bought a new automobile. I've gotten pretty frustrated about a few things since I've had this X but in the end, it all works out fine and you learn something new.

Don't get too frustrated bro.

Also, patton's idea will only work if you don't budge an inch. You gotta go in there already knowing that they're going to give you what you're asking for.

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah i am fantastic at being a hard ass especially with dealerships they make to damn much money anyway. I tried it in 4wd today and it still made the noise, so I guess I am down to the point of trying to argue with a dealership that I now live 45 minutes from on top of working 50 hours a week, or take the easy road since a Dodge dealership just gave me a screaming offer too. The sound of a Hemi, or the scream of the 4.0 with an intake.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts