Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I'm driving along with the CC on, set at 70ish and twice, it turned off on me. Without me touching anything, it turned off, and obviously i realized quite quickly when I started decelerating. Any ideas as to what's going on?

·
on line
148 Posts
a short in the brake lights? so when they come one the cruise control deactivates? just an idea...this was a puzzler on Car Talk on NPR! lol

·
on line
2,004 Posts
if it's manual, u might have pressed the clutch, cc disengages once u do that, just a thought.

·
on line
148 Posts
Creek said:
AT, no MT. I'm clueless as to how this happened...esp twice. I did nothing to make it turn off. WEIRD. Maybe it's that weird UFO energy of NM?!?!?
yup, definitely the aliens.

·
on line
191 Posts
Gremlins?

·
on line
666 Posts
Hmmm any hills? Normally an auto would kick down a gear, but under the right circumstance it could kick off if it felt the grade was too steep...?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I've definitely been heading uphill and had it kick off rather than down shift. It's a bit annoying when that happens.

·
on line
666 Posts
I don't know if you could do it or not with an auto, it might kick off electrically, but you might be able to kick the O.D. off before you hit a hill. I really don't know if you can with the Nissan auto, as I have a stick. I know in a couple of recent auto cars I've driven, you could push an O.D. button without cancelling the cruise. Might be quicker to downshift from 4th to 3rd then from 5th to 3rd. I dunno, if ya get a chance, might try it.

·
on line
616 Posts
The cruise will kick off in an MT if the hill gets really steep and you leave it in 6th. I happens when the vehicle speed drops more than 5mph under the cruise set point.

-Old Army

·
on line
1,084 Posts
My CC kicked off this morning in the rain....i'm guessing i must have slipped alittle on the wet ground. No slip light or vdc noise

·
on line
2,573 Posts
If the hill grade is too steep for the gear and the rpms go below a certain range it kicks off the CC. I've had it happen twice before I made it happen on my own and figured it out.
It hasn't happened in 5th gear yet only 6th ( maybe 5th is geared enough for the hills in the North East )

Who knows

·
on line
652 Posts
I have had mine kick off on flat ground hitting a bump on the freeway several times

Auto trans

·
on line
139 Posts
cincinnati_xterra said:
If your slip or vdc kicks in at all it shuts off too.
I vote for this as well. Try using your cruise on a really wet, rainy day and it will shut off quite a bit. I've had bumps shut it off as well.

D-Rock

1 - 17 of 17 Posts