Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a problem for the past few weeks. I was out fishing with a buddy and it started to down pour. He was unable to pull the boat out of the water with his vehicle because of it being to wet. I ran up and got the X, put it in 4wd, hooked up the trailer, and loaded the boat, pulled it out no problem. On the way back to the parking lot (100yds) from the launch I had a really bad smell of ammonia it was weird. I took the X out of 4wd and the smell stopped however it wouldnt disengage from 4wd. We unhooked the boat, put it on his vehicle, and I start trouble shooting. Every time I had it in 4wd hi I got the smell. When I turned the switch to 2wd it would go away and the 4wd on the instrument panel would flash. So I got it to disengage and went on my way with no smells after that.

A few days ago I started the X up put her into drive and pulled out of my spot, the smell returned in 2wd this time. Havent had it since. What I have had was a major decrease in MPG. I went from like 13-16 to like 8-10.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
193 Posts
sounds like a catalytic converter issue. check for oil leaks around the xfer case and trans, then do a check for exhaust leaks and finally a scan for cat. conv. codes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Its completely normal. There is nothing wrong with your cats. You gave it some juice, dumping a lot of fuel down the exhaust in order to pull a boat out of the water up a ramp. Your cats don't function well until they are hot.

Same thing happens to me when I'm moving my trailer up my steep driveway and everything is cold.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its completely normal. There is nothing wrong with your cats. You gave it some juice, dumping a lot of fuel down the exhaust in order to pull a boat out of the water up a ramp. Your cats don't function well until they are hot.

Same thing happens to me when I'm moving my trailer up my steep driveway and everything is cold.
He also stated it is present during normal driving, and has lost economy. Thats where I was leaning. Interesting though, I have never smelled anything like that before. Then again, I don't pull a boat.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah both times it happened it was right after start up, and it was deff a smell of ammonia, (firefighter/medic) so I know different smells. I usually am at 180mi at 1/2 tank and now im at 102 at 1/2 a tank. Theres no lights on the dash besides my fricking TPS light....

I am more concerned about the loss of MPG than the smell. Would something wrong with the CAT cause a loss like that?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
have you ever changed your transfer case fluid? I feel like this might be your issue. I've heard of people not changing it, and then using 4wd and it messing up the transfer case. I also used to get a smell when I used 4wd when i first got my x. I put fresh fluid in and I don't get smells any more when I use 4wd. I hope you didnt damage the transfer case....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I bought the X used.......after all the snow was gone. Guess I will have to have it checked.

·
Registered
193 Posts
yeah the cats will cause MPG loss. Take it up somewhere that will pull your codes, most places will do it free. Then you can search the code here and prob. find a answer.

My second assumption is the x-fer case fluid as well. might as well change your front and rear diff oil while your changing the x-fer case.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Will the superchips give me the code? I think my X has stinky exhaust :D, I saw a drop in MPG... I dont know if the truck has to get adjusted to the new muffler and Y pipe delete and/or if I have to do any relearn procedure... Dont want to spend on the cats if I dont have to, especially considering it has 4...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm. Thinking about it today the only other time that I seen a bad drop in MPG like this is when my fuel pump crapped out on me. But I am not really having performance issues just a loss in MPG. I have no idea how to change any of the fluids and dont really trust myself to do it myself the first time either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope.....Didnt give me one for when the fuel pump went either....

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've also had this happen to me. One day I didn't let my X warm up past 130 degrees and got on the highway and had to nail the throttle to get on because of a short ramp. I got home about 30 minutes later and could smell that ammonia type odor. If you don't let your cats warm up before you get heavy with the skinny pedal, you'll dump extra fuel and it'll smell. Not a big deal if it's only once in a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts