Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a weird grinding noise from the engine area. sounds mechanical, sounds similar to when ABS kicks on (its not ABS just sounds similar to it) only happens when i first start driving and the engine is cold, only when driving, lasts for 1 to 3 seconds then its done. And doesn't happen again until the engine is cold again.

Since it started i have done an oil and filter change, rad swap, replaced variable timing solenoid, PMF (no smod just really burnt.) I thought all this would fix it, but it didn't.

I'll try and get a recording of it but it doesn't happen all the time.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same grinding sound that I was hearing, but I just changed out my alternator and it fixed the sound

It's pretty easy to remove you serpentine belt (just put a 3/8" drive and turn it CCW in the hole on the tensioner pulley) and pull off the belt. I was able to spin some of the wheels by hand and the alternator (bottom left side) was making a grinding noise. So I ordered a new one and installed it today and fixed the problem

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try, but mine isn't all the time and it never happens when idling

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I know you said it isn't abs but the abs system on most vehicles does a self test during the first drive. You might be able to actually notice it when it's cold out. I don't know if all vehicles do that but I feel safe saying at least 90% do.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
figured i'd update this... embarrassingly enough it was the heat shields vibrating... thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Don't ya just love those shields lol. I removed one then two days later another one rattling :geek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts