Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Im new to the Xterra scene literally bought my car last week. Took it on a 500 Mile road trip last weekend and when I reached my destination I noticed a werid noise when I was on an decline. I'm hoping it's just a idler or tensioner pulley due to timing and the water pump being replaced fairly recently. It usually happens on a cold start and goes away once the engine warms up, but when it's on an incline it still happens sometimes. Let me know what you guys think! PS sorry for the vertical camera.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I could be wrong, But id bet that noice is being caused by the fan hitting something. maybe when they did the water pump install they had to remove and replace the fan shroud and didnt get it back installed correctly.

I hpoe its that becuase thats failry easy fix, and if that aint it, I have no freaking clue lol but i hope its not internal

·
on line
238 Posts
Yeah, get that fixed asap

should be pretty easy to narrow down the location being that loud

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
1,151 Posts
I didn't watch the video but some aftermarket oil filters have been known to cause an annoying wine and cold oil is thicker and might make it worse.
For $8 a new OEM oil filter could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree that I would first check and see if the plastic radiator fan is rubbing something. Way too loud to be anything internal IMO, certainly not the timing chain.

I did have a K&N filter cause a bad knocking sound on startup, but I don't remember a whine. I use Fram Ultra with great luck (NOT the base cheap Fram oil filters).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank y'all for the suggestion I looked at it again when I got off work and figured out that it is the radiator cooling fan ( hopefully im saying the right fan) but it's hitting against the shroud. I'm try to change it out this weekend and hopefully that resolves the issue. I'm also gonna change the belt tensioner out also it's looking very floppy idk if that's supposed to be like and maybe that's causing the issue also but with 166k on her ig I'd rather do it now then later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts