Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been scouring this forum for advice on stereo upgrades, and haven't really come to any kind of conclusions of note. I have a 2012 S with the basic set-up. Its fine for now but at some point I would like to upgrade. The question then becomes what and how. What should I upgrade and how/when should I upgrade. My first thought is a new head unit first, so I can connect an iPhone via either USB or aux. I don't think I care about the route taken, I would just like connectivity. So basically I'm asking for advice.

Can I maintain the current headunit and just add an aux-in or do I have to replace it?

If I replace it, what should I do it with ($200-ish)?

Should I have a shop do it or take it on personally? I'm some what mechanically inclined but I've got zero experience with car audio.

Then what? New midranges? Amp?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any more getting the deck out is half the battle then generally you can find an adapter harness to save you the trouble wiring the new deck. Some audio stores do offer aux input installation. As far as what deck that is entirely up to you.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So I've been scouring this forum for advice on stereo upgrades, and haven't really come to any kind of conclusions of note. I have a 2012 S with the basic set-up. Its fine for now but at some point I would like to upgrade. The question then becomes what and how. What should I upgrade and how/when should I upgrade. My first thought is a new head unit first, so I can connect an iPhone via either USB or aux. I don't think I care about the route taken, I would just like connectivity. So basically I'm asking for advice.

Can I maintain the current headunit and just add an aux-in or do I have to replace it?

If I replace it, what should I do it with ($200-ish)?

Should I have a shop do it or take it on personally? I'm some what mechanically inclined but I've got zero experience with car audio.

Then what? New midranges? Amp?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Hmm, I can't speak too much in specific for a 2012 S Trim stereo as I have the lowest trim model. I thought they did come with an AUX input, but perhaps that is for the higher PRO-4X.

Does your model have bluetooth? Sometimes you can stream audio over that (though its not the best quality).

What I can tell you (from replacing everything in my X) is that its really easy to work on. Assuming you DO NOT have the built in Amp / sub from the RockFord Fosgate system. Its especially easy to just change the headunit. If you do go that route I'm unsure what you would find in a specific model (around $200). Perhaps look used for more features.

But in general there are two sizes (well really 3 sizes) of head units. DIN, Double DIN and (the rare) 1.5 DIN. The Xterra is a Double DIN stereo. Any unit will work. If you have the higher end / newer trim (the one with the shiny climate control knobs) you will need a dash trim kit. All need a Nissan harness adapter, unless you want to splice wires, but the harness is like $20-30 so just get that.

All there is to it, pop trim panel, remove 4 screws, take out old head unit, put in new head unit, connect to factory harness with harness adapter and you're done.

Just make sure you don't get an overly deep (like super deep) headunit, there's a brace beam in the back of the dash that does not allow for extremely deep head units. Anything Crutchfield says will fit should be fine.

If you have a budget for a decent head unit i'd recommend the new ones that are basically app driven. They aren't as expensive as full blown Nav touchscreen units, as they can use the phone for GPS, phone calls, streaming music, etc. Though they are a bit over $200 though.

Start with a new headunit. It will likely sound better than stock anyway, as most aftermarket headunits have larger built in amps. Then if you feel like you want more, identify what you feel is missing. More bass, mid range, highs, general clarity, etc will all drive you twords different components.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
A lot of times you can pick up the RF off a guy on here upgrading to a touch display.

I have a 12 pro-4x and actually love the RF package. It comes with aux in and sounds great. Personally I aim to upgrade the off road capabilities of the X and leave the 'extras' as they are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know what your budget is but check out the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. It was a noticeable sound and feature-packed improvement over the RF system. I got the Scosche faceplate, wiring harness from Crutchfield (comes with basic instructions too) and did it myself. It was my first time installing a deck and it was a reasonably straightforward install. There's nothing I don't like about this deck.

I'd say start with the deck and see if gives you what you're looking for. If not, then speakers, then amp.

I don't know if you'll get $200 for the stock deck. I sold my RF for $75.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts