Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looks like a pattern is forming on my truck. Anyone else have sway bar bolts break on the trail? First I lost my rear one - completely gone. I wrote this one off to scraping the front where the nut was on a trail rock and having it break off. The top bolt which is remaining is a non-rated bolt.

No big deal - rear sway bars were meant to be removed. However this weekend on some rock crawling in the Augustine Pass I had the front bolt fail - ripping the sway bar from it's mount and nailing the front skid plate.

That stress in turn caused the linkage to fail. Now the sway bar is free to scrap at the inside of the wheel rim - note the missing paint from the bottom of the sway bar where it's been eating away at the aluminum of the wheels.

So I'm replacing the gradeless bolts with some grade 8.8's, getting a new sway bar mount, bushing, and linkage ... wonder if the dealer will cover it under warranty?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like $19.46 worth of parts per Courtesy Parts. :cheers:

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I would be concerned if the bolt failed. Is a piece of the bolt still in the hole? Or did it just back off? After adding my Shrock front bumper, I had to retighten my sway bar bolts after a few offroading trips. They seemed to have loosened up over time. Once I re-tightened them, they haven't backed off yet (and I have wheeled quite a bit after re-tightening them).

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AZ-Ted said:
I would be concerned if the bolt failed. Is a piece of the bolt still in the hole? Or did it just back off? After adding my Shrockworks front bumper, I had to retighten my sway bar bolts after a few offroading trips. They seemed to have loosened up over time. Once I re-tightened them, they haven't backed off yet (and I have wheeled quite a bit after re-tightening them).
I haven't dug into them yet - I will have to pull the skid plates off. It is possible that the screw backed out but a couple of people heard the thing go under stress on the trail. Pushing my finger back up inside I can feel the nut still attached to the back but I can't see that area to tell.

·
on line
225 Posts
Quick fix... remove the sway bar. I took mine off about 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any negative changes at all.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZ-Ted said:
I would be concerned if the bolt failed. Is a piece of the bolt still in the hole? Or did it just back off? After adding my Shrockworks front bumper, I had to retighten my sway bar bolts after a few offroading trips. They seemed to have loosened up over time. Once I re-tightened them, they haven't backed off yet (and I have wheeled quite a bit after re-tightening them).
:notworthy:

You called it! The screw worked its way out of the hole. It's neary impossible to torque the bolt into place as the mounting plate for the front skid is a "V" shape blocking access to the bolt head. The only way to get into it is with an open wrench. Somehow the thing managed to work it's way all the way out. :angryfire:

So I'l use a bit of locktite on this bugger as when the front skid plate is on you can only get a tiny bit of rotation with an open wrench. I've pulled the sway bar off but have some concerns about highway on and off ramps now. The wheel needs to be reblanced too - America's Tires has a free lifetime balance.

·
on line
807 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
AZ-Ted said:
:notworthy:

You called it! The screw worked its way out of the hole. It's neary impossible to torque the bolt into place as the mounting plate for the front skid is a "V" shape blocking access to the bolt head. The only way to get into it is with an open wrench. Somehow the thing managed to work it's way all the way out. :angryfire:

So I'l use a bit of locktite on this bugger as when the front skid plate is on you can only get a tiny bit of rotation with an open wrench. I've pulled the sway bar off but have some concerns about highway on and off ramps now. The wheel needs to be reblanced too - America's Tires has a free lifetime balance.
Don't use an open wrench. The slot in the skidplate is for a socket extension. You need to hold the socket inside the skidplate, then slip the extension though the slot, snap it into the socket, and torque it down.
EDIT: looking at the pics agian, it looks like your skid doesn't have the slot that mine does.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
The passenger's side lower bolt is the one that I had trouble with. It backed out over time. It is a pain in the ass to tighten. I could get approximately 1/8th of a turn each time with an open end wrench, as there is not much room to move. I had considered cutting a notch in the Shrock skid plate mount, but didn't do it because I was finally able to tighten it down. If I ever have to remove it again, I will notch it. For some reason, I have a little bit better clearance on the driver's side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts