Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After driving through water at Pismo, I turned off the car and found that all electrical gauges were working while my keys were in my hand... WTF? Was it a short? I started the car and turned it off again. Everything worked...

What would be the best way to waterproof our electrical system? I know that it is possible to spray things on here and there. Any other tricks?

Thanks,

·
on line
1,739 Posts
STAY OUT OF SALT WATER!

Leave it to the US Navy ships and submarines. Salt water is bad for the electrical system big time, the corrosion will continue to work inside the connectors long afterwards. Inside the voltage regulator and alternator it not only corrodes but causes friction and wear. Fresh water is bad, salt water is worse.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul,

Ah, I wish you have posted this before we went to Pismo. For some reason I was sure that X had adequate protection for light sprays. Right after the drive I brought the car to a car wash and spent several minutes on hosing things off down there. Is there anything I should check for now?

Ciao,
/v

·
on line
145 Posts
I would spend considerable time spraying it down from every angle you can get with a hose.
I know of a sad story of a Patrol that had a salt water bath. That vehicle required a complete replacement electrical harness. Then the rust came.

I saw the pics of the Pismo beach run and my first thought was surely they're not driving in the salt water.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts