Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching for my winch purchase and there appears to be a few companies making waterproof winches. Do any of you veteran winch owners think it is worth extra coin? A few of the trails I frequent have deepish water and I have been know to trail ride in the snow + my rig is a DD so it sees all types of weather.

Is this mostly a marketing ploy? Do any of you take steps to waterproof your normal winch?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
You could try and spray that "water proofing" spray all over it. Not sure how it would hold up.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Most of those winches in that test don't actually claim to be waterproof but obviously they stood up pretty well... some of them anyway. Which has mean leaning towards saving the cash and giving whatever I buy some prep work and TLC. On the other hand it might be nice to have that extra protection. Especially with the amount of salt they use on the roads here...

This is an interesting read
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/best-jk-waterproof-winches-241614.html

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Most of those winches in that test don't actually claim to be waterproof but obviously they stood up pretty well... some of them anyway. Which has mean leaning towards saving the cash and giving whatever I buy some prep work and TLC. On the other hand it might be nice to have that extra protection. Especially with the amount of salt they use on the roads here...

This is an interesting read
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/best-jk-waterproof-winches-241614.html
My Engo was $410 and is explicitly identified as water proof.

Sprays and coatings wont do sh!t. The real waterproofing is in having a fully gasket sealed solenoid box in which the battery cables pass through water tight weather pack gromets to get through, and a fully gasket sealed gear box and motor box to run the body.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm.. engo may have moved up my list. That is the E9000 Surf? I can't seem to find that the claim that it is waterproof on the Engo site. Apparently they need a better marketing team!

Btw, If anyone is looking at a smitybuilt x2o there is a $50 rebate this month.
http://www.smittybilt.com/rebate.htm

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I really don't think there is such a thing as a "water proof" winch. Most of the "working end" of winches are sealed really well; it's the control box that becomes the main point of failure (electrical). If you mount a good winch control box above the inner fender in the engine bay, the last concern you'll have is the winch if it fails from water entry!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the warn site says some of their models are more water resistant then others. In fact the vr series manual says if you submerge the winch in water, you need to take it to get re-greased. They also state if the control pack was submerged that it needs to be replaced. The zeon manual says to not submerge it. The 9.5xp claims superior water resistance. While I am suspect of the the cheaper brand waterproof claims, I tend to believe warn.

I found a few stories of winch failure that were a direct cause of the gears getting wet, road salt or being submerged.

So far my research is making me believe on a DD that sees salt and crappy weather the extra few bucks for waterproof is worth it but in general it is not a great idea to submerge a which. I am still deciding what brand to buy but I didn't really want to make this a brand thread...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
While some winches will fail within the body, 99% fail due to electrical issues in the control box. Most (not all) winches use a similar double lipped seal for the gear box and engagement ends & some are better than others for certain. In the 8 winches I've seen fail in person over the past 3 years, all of them have been the control box. In all 8, they were mounted on top of the winch itself or in front of the grille.

I've had my winch submerged and it still works flawlessly. Now also keep in mind that this was while passing through a deep water hole, not sitting submerged/stationary in standing water for any period of time.

I have a Titan winch btw. I've used it about 2 dozen times in the past month alone...though mostly for removing trees & stumps from our lot, only 4 times off-road...details on it here: Titan GB

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
What ever you buy... Get the Synth line... It make a ton of difference in weight
And it won't corrode when smashed with slat for years ;)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This may be true for the humid areas, but I know a lot of the guys here, utah and in the more dry areas prefer steel over synthetic as the synthetic seems to break easier.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My preference is synthetic. Yes I live in a salt belt, but I've personally witnessed both steel & synth lines breaking within the past 2 years. Synth fell to the ground (literally) within 20 feet of the breaking point; no recoil. The steel line still caused about $1k in body damage with a heavy winter jacket tied over the line.

UV exposure is a killer for synth line, so I can see why they are more popular in your area, however even with my line enclosed in the SW bumper, I'd rather replace the line every 2-3 years than to witness a steel line snapping again!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have an Engo EPF12000 (I believe that's the one).
I've run that bad boy without any problems several times.
It even pulled me out when I was high centered on a tree stump, my slider got bent in the process of getting myself out.....but did the job without a problem.

A few weeks ago, I bought a wireless remote and a cover from engo.
While removing the lid to wire the thing, I discovered that the solenoids and hardware were sitting in water (I guess from running the winch under water a couple of times).
After finishing the wiring, the wireless remote worked fine but it seemed like the clutch would not disengage. The motor was functioning fine, but it would not reel in the line even without any tension :-/
I took apart the gear box and discovered that the grease was gunked up and there was also water in there.
I cleaned it out and regreased it with some water resistant grease and closed it all up.
The SOB still wasn't disengaging. I left it alone for a bit and had to do the good old, wrap the line around the bumper coiled up....looked pretty budget I must add!
Anywho, went camping that same weekend and I figured I would at least reel the line by hand so that my rig wouldn't look ridiculous.
Well, somehow it did start working and I was able to put tension on the line and reel it in.

I'm thinking ill have to take everything apart, replace the solenoids, clean the gears and let them dry, regrease & seal the covers (maybe with some rvt?).
I'm also considering drilling a couple small holes (1/8" or something) on the solenoid box, so if water gets in at least it can drain?

Sorry for the long post, thought I'd share :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
UV exposure is a killer for synth line, so I can see why they are more popular in your area, however even with my line enclosed in the SW bumper, I'd rather replace the line every 2-3 years than to witness a steel line snapping again!
I agree with you in regards to the UV exposure and this is why I got a winch cover. It'll help the longevity of the line and will keep rain from getting metal components from rusting :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 51 Posts