Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around town today with the radio turned off and i noticed that when i brake, or accelerate from a standstill, i hear what seems to be sloshing water coming from the pasenger side towards the engine bay. Any one else notice this. I thought that it was the gas tank but correct me if im wrong but the isnt the gas tank towards the back or middle of the X. Please help, im scratching my head over this one.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Air in the system, Cold, Take off the radiator cap. Start with heater set to cold, let it run and come up to temp. Add green rad fluid in a 50 50 mix to the radiator, even if it looks ok try to get some in there. It's really got to get warm, let it idle a while with the lid off, Turn the inside heat all the way up, blow the fan... some air might come out, bubble a bit, top it off, fill recovery tank to spec (Says full hot to here) Now put cap on radiator. It really has to come up to temp for it to work. May take a second try another day. The sound you hear is the system struggling to equalize but it can't because of the air in it. Letting it run with cap off lets the air out. There is a bleeding process but this should work. MC

·
on line
54 Posts
Could be the windshield washer reservoir. Its in the fender on the passenger side. I have never heard mine slosh, but I tend to keep it topped off.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
It happens when you first start and it is coming from the heater core area. A lot of people have this problem. Bleed the system like MC says and you won't have a problem anymore :cheers:

·
on line
131 Posts
Yep. Mine does it too. Had an Altima 3.5 SE with the same problem and dealership did the bleed thing. I'll fix mine on my own with USMC's instructions.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that sounds like trip to the dealer for me. i live in an apartment and they are strict about working on cars in the garage. plus, nissan gave me a 5yr/75K bumper to bumper warranty so im gonna take advantage of that. that makes sense though. im gonna print this topic out and bring it to the dealer so they have a head start on where to look.

·
on line
134 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Air in the system, Cold, Take off the radiator cap. Start with heater set to cold, let it run and come up to temp. Add green rad fluid in a 50 50 mix to the radiator, even if it looks ok try to get some in there. It's really got to get warm, let it idle a while with the lid off, Turn the inside heat all the way up, blow the fan... some air might come out, bubble a bit, top it off, fill recovery tank to spec (Says full hot to here) Now put cap on radiator. It really has to come up to temp for it to work. May take a second try another day. The sound you hear is the system struggling to equalize but it can't because of the air in it. Letting it run with cap off lets the air out. There is a bleeding process but this should work. MC
MC, you weren't an average Jarhead were you? You do your service proud thats for sure. It seems you not only have an answer for just about everything but its usually the right answer. Glad to have you on board! :notworthy:

p.s. I also have been having this issue but blew it off. Will fix this weekend for sure.

·
on line
60 Posts
Is this something that should be fixed soon? I'm thinking about waiting till my 30,000 mile check up, which should come around next fall, and letting the dealer fix it.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Thanks for the kuto's guys.
Ahhhh It's kinda a DIY thing, Dealers don't like to admit they even know what it is. They give you that HUH? look when you know dag well they know what the fix is. I think maybe it don't pay well.

It don't take that long, All you need is the 50 50 mix of the green coolant and maybe 20 minutes? Not something an apt complex can whine about but if so, heck do it at a grocery store or Wal Mart while you watch the chicks go in.

Quicker than going to dealer anyways. Although if you can get them to do it, you are not out the fluid, But you seen my shelves, I have plenty of green anti freeze.

MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Yep ! Got to add the kudos to OL' MC,,,,that Jarhead has saved my tail on most of my mods and man,,,talk about perfect advice !!
Oh yeah, I finished the front bumper ,,,now, I got two !

Thanks MC !
Regards,

Jim B

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just got home and was messing with the sqeaky lumbar adjustment when i dropped something near the drivers side tire and low and behold i head what sounds like water circulating or like a dripping water noise. i take it this is the same thing as you are referring to USMCX. i plan on doing your fix this weekend as ill be at my parents house. oh yeah and the AC was not on the whole day and there was no water on the floor. weird ass minor little problem!!

·
on line
23 Posts
I noticed the water-sloshing noise everytime I come to a stoplight now. It was getting annoying so I did this coolant fix MC recommended. I took off the radiator cap on the front of the engine and started the X with the air turned off just to let the car heat up. About 5 seconds later I check to make sure everything's ok in the engine, and find that a steady stream of coolant is leaking out! Luckily, it wasn't leaking out for too long. I stopped the engine and cleaned up what I could (I was outside at my apartment complex). Any suggestions or should this be a dealer fix? Also, I got 50/50 Prestone coolant but it's not green...what brand do you guys recommend? Thanks for your time.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Got to be the Green or mixes with any, yea 50 50 mix. Let it cool down do it again keep an eye on it add the coolant until it does the leak over again and put the cap on. Be sure the reservoir has fluid in it to the full when cold mark. Not a dealer job, and park on level surface. Nose down is bad. MC

·
on line
1,681 Posts
ok, let me see if i've got this right...
truck off, take off rad cap
start truck, a/c off, let truck warm up.
once warm, add 50/50 to fill
turn a/c to hot, fan on high
top off rad tank. close top, cross fingers????

·
on line
279 Posts
^ Correct. Make sure when you let it warm up it gets to operating temp.
Its standard procedure when you replace a rad hose or flush/fil the system. Ive known it as "letting the rad bubble up"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts