Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in my neck of the woods, the apartment complex (gonna get a house next year i hope - used to have one but divorce etc) has turned off the water to the car wash bay because irrigation is now banned in my town and the car wash is tied into irrigation system. car washing isn't banned in my town. where can i go to wash my truck? are those drive through auto washes like bunkeys etc who specialize in car washes any good? they want like 7$ for an auto wash and dry down, but $50.00 for a handwash!!! you gotta be kidding me. 50 bucks????? for a 20 minute job????? puhhhlease... anyhow, if i can find a self-service wash that allows bucket washing, i am all set. what are your experiences with self-service car washes allowing hand washing in between hosing. also, are the auto washes (not the gas station cheapo ones with the paint scratching brushes) that are touchless and that specialize in car washing good enough? i would expect the car to be clean enougth afterwards to wax without damaging the paint..

thanks..

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i do a semi-bucket wash at those diy power wash places. i fill a bucket with soapy water and walk around with X with sponge in one hand, hose in the other. I figure no one can complain if the meter is running the whole time i'm there! i usually spend about $7-10 buck each time depending how dirty the X is.

·
on line
631 Posts
I got banned from a self serve car wash place in Ogden, UT for bucket washing. And also because my truck was covered in mud I supposedly "made a mess" while washing it...I was in college and didnt care about it, plus there were tons of other places to wash at... but I dont see a problem with bucket washing at a self serve if you pay for it right?! I guess it just depends on where you go

·
on line
1,716 Posts
In the winter I run through the "no Touch" auto wash places just to keep a few layers of grime off the truck, they do an o.k. job for about $6.00. To bucket wash at a spray place just go later in the evening, hose off your truck with the soap and fill your bucket, wash accordingly and then pay the price to rinse off. Ive never had any hassle doing it that way.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my way of doing it would be pull up.... use rinse water and hose down the whole truck once. then start washing the truck. i will do the roof, hood, hatch, front bumper. that is like 5 minutes tops... then, insert more coins and rinse. then, handwash the sides of the truck (4 minutes or so per side including scrubbing tires?) , then rinse. so three rinse cycles should do me. i can get it done in like 20 minutes total at most. for what? $1.50 x 3??? = 4.50????

the place up the street wants 40$ for a handwash. what a crock.... i'd pay 10.00 but no way 40$ for 20 minutes of work....for one person..

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Go driving through a river, you'd be good to go.
I've had the same problem here in Fayetteville, supposedly I could get in trouble washing my car in front of my house. So just to get some of the mud off, just went to a DIY car wash, nothing fancy, esp with the weather the way it is here in NC.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I usually take a friend with me to a self serve wash place. One uses the brush to scrub while other follows behind rinsing. The rinser also has the task of occasionally switching the knob to give the scrubber more soap. This tag team probably saves 3-5 mins. versus doing it yourself. Costs about $5 this way.

·
on line
704 Posts
I used to do half-and-half. Pre-washed the car in one of those places and then bucket washed it in the parking lot of my apartment complex. It has been a dry year in California and I decided to stop washing the car for time being. Seeing all reservoirs at the all time low really broke my heart...

·
on line
142 Posts
Yes, get a sink-to-hose adapter at home depot or lowes. This is what I did when I used to live in a apartment. I was on the 2nd floor but a 100 ft. hose was long enough to reach from the kitchen and out the window down to the parking lot. I got some funny looks but several people would stop and say it was a great idea and would borrow my hose and adapter.

·
on line
631 Posts
pluckyduck said:
Yes, get a sink-to-hose adapter at home depot or lowes. This is what I did when I used to live in a apartment. I was on the 2nd floor but a 100 ft. hose was long enough to reach from the kitchen and out the window down to the parking lot. I got some funny looks but several people would stop and say it was a great idea and would borrow my hose and adapter.
that sounds like a good idea!! i just go to my parents house and use my dads stuff haha

·
on line
612 Posts
I haven't washed mine in weeks because of the water restrictions in Atlanta. Man I wish that city planners would think about things like water before they overdeveloped the hell out of everything!

·
on line
631 Posts
Yeller_X said:
I haven't washed mine in weeks because of the water restrictions in Atlanta. Man I wish that city planners would think about things like water before they overdeveloped the hell out of everything!
we have water restrictions here in vegas too... but nobody listens to it... we live in the desert with only one source of water, and 2 other states use it too

·
on line
1,361 Posts
go to a self serve bay early in the morning or later in the night and you will have the place to your self. I doubt anyone will get pissy with you handwashing as long as there are not lines waiting

As far as the touchless washes go, I use them in the winter to clean off my rig. I figure $7 is worth it and has an under carriage wash as well (good for winter salt and sand) and I stay warm
Two places close to my house have them, they wash, wax, dry. One does an unbelievable job and takes off the heaviest of grime. The other, same price, I could do just as good by walking around a spitting on my X. My point is, if one sucks, find another one. The good one is worth my $7 in the winter and I usually hit it 3 or so times in the summer if I don't have time to handwash it.

Who ever is getting 1.50 at self service bay is lucky. The ones up here start at $5 for 4 minutes.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
It has been a dry year in California and I decided to stop washing the car for time being. Seeing all reservoirs at the all time low really broke my heart...

You aren't kidding, Vman. They released water all summer long and now look what it's done to the Salmon run.

XKnut
Waiting for a good rainstorm in Sac.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts