Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just under the X taking measurements to make sure that my deavers were in correctly (the right direction) and, i realized that the boots on my rear shocks are filled with muddy water from running Rausch Creek. Anybody else have this going on after running through water? What's my solution? Poke a hole in the bottom of the boot for drainage?

·
on line
3,218 Posts
You may have installed the boots upside down, as most come tapped w/ holes for drainage Creek. Re-install 'em, or cut out more holes, your call, but corrosion will ensue if the gunks left in there..

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, not to throw Steve under the bus, but according to his how-to, i installed them correctly. I believe he talked to Greg at PRG to confirm that this is how they are supposed to be installed.

Looks like i'm gonna start poking some holes

·
on line
807 Posts
PRG says they can be mounted either way. We (Steve and myself) installed his in that orientation because the 2 bushings are different, that that is how the stock ones came off.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
PRG says they can be mounted either way.
Of course they can, this post is proof. Only thing is, one way allows for drainage, the other does not. You decide which is the correct way.. :scratch:

·
on line
13,466 Posts
See, mine are installed the same way steve did his in that photo. It was impossible to mount them up any ther way because of how the bushings were. I tried to do it the other way because of the drain holes, but its impossible. So either greg installed the bushings ackwards, or we can just poke some holes in the bottom.....................bummer.

·
on line
358 Posts
Even if installed with the holes down they can and will fill with water. The small holes will usually plug up with dirt. I have always taken a pair of wire cutters (dikes or side cutters) and cut a "V" notch out of the bottom of the boot. The hole is big enough that it usually doesn't plug up. Remember the boot is there to keep rocks and stuff from pitting the rod. They aren't designed and will not keep out dust and water.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Now, I haven't installed the BOOTS you're talking about, BUT

--In the old days, the shock boots had holes on TOP, for air release, because the boots BUNCH-UP at the bottom (shock end) and keep the air from escaping,,

--Never worried about water, the shock shaft is Tempered steel/SS, mix and the shock seal, already withstands probably 5000 psi or more--

--You decide

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: That works, I told my wife I had my hip replaced, 9 years ago and needed a long recovery time--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
3,262 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Great time to read this, she just walked into the room and got a kick outta this!

--"I like to be on top anyway!"--The fiance
Now I would love to see a picture of that Mod!! :cheers: :cheers:

What a woman!! Mine makes me do all the work!! but then again with all my experience, I dont blame her! :3some:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts