Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the addition of a snorkel I’m really wanting to attempt this mud hole that many have attempted and few have made it. I have extended breathers on front and rear diff, trans, and tcase. What else might I need to do?

An off switch for the electric fan?

Some sort of hydrophobic gel to coat the coil packs with?

Would I need to isolate the fuse boxes more or just make sure they are water tight? Maybe add some silicone to the inside and around the sealing edge and a breather?

Will my axle seals be ok? Is there anything I can do about those?

Has anyone tried to make the door seals a little more waterproof?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Have a tow truck standing by.

Be prepared to replace you alternator.
Also be prepared to strip the interior and remove all the carpet. The interior will flood. If you have the RF stereo, be prepared to have the amp and sub fail due to the floor flooding. Buy stock in air freshners as the muddy water stench will never fully get out of the carpet. If you are dead serious about this, I'd tape the door to the body all the way around the bottom half then climb in the window.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Why are you interested in doing this? Is it just a bragging rights thing?

Mud holes like that are never really a good thing. All that mud gets in all the seals, bearings, etc etc and while they may not fail instantaneously, they wear and fail down the road much faster.
Not saying don't do it, it's your truck, if you want to go through then don't let me stop you. I'm just trying to figure out what the allure to it is.

Many people do some pretty stupid @%!^ because there is a crowd watching or their buddies said they wouldn't....and then later, when no one wants to help them fix all the damage, they regret giving in to that pressure.

Then again, if this is what you do for fun then go for it, just expect all of the above comments: alternator, interior (all of it), wheel bearings, electrical components

EDIT: Obviously the snorkel is there for a reason. That does not mean you have to take it swimming though. This is just my opinion, but I feel as though a snorkel is for that time when you may positively have to accomplish a goal....and because they look cool. Personally, I think 99% of the members on this forum that have snorkels on their Xterras have them there because they look bad @ss. The other few have them there as common sense insurance, which is a good plan, it's like being prepared for the apocalypse though, you don't go use your supplies all the time, you just rest easy knowing that you are ready. My point is, just because you have the snorkel, it doesn't make the X a submarine, it's an insurance factor. Again, this is all just my opinion, I'm sure the 99% that I mentioned earlier will whole heartedly disagree with me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Our trucks are a lot more water/mud friendly then most on here give them credit for. How deep is said pit?

As long as you keep moving you don't need to worry that much about door seals. I plan on re-doing all my seals anyway. I've had my alternator submerged at least 20 times and never had an issue.

The most important thing is to wash it off real well after your done. It's when you leave the mud on for long periods that it starts to deteriorate seals and components. Not too mention clog up the rad and cause overheating.

Theres also the evap filter which when dirty sets off a SES when submerged with mud. It's right by the gas tank and you usually just have to give it a good clean.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bragging rights? Not so much but it sure will be a cool story to tell my buddies, the ones that won't be there with me. I live in the south and go to school at georgia southern. This is our entertainment down here. Sure it's stupid. I've done a lot of stupid things. Just try to do stupid things the smart way. As much as possible at least. It's about waist deep when I went in with some waders. And about 20feet long. Just worried about the slight up hill at the end. The alternator is easily replaceable. Door seals ill use some tape or find something. If it ruins the carpet. Oh well. Live and learn. Electronics is what I'm worried about. Not the ones in the car but outside of the car. My ses is already on for the p0455 canister evap thing so I'm not worried about that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Bragging rights? Not so much but it sure will be a cool story to tell my buddies
Is that not what bragging rights is? I guess I am outdated here lol.

Just try to do stupid things the smart way.
:scratch:

Either way dude, don't let me cramp your style. People have done much dumber in their lives. I know the "mudding" thing is a bit of a down south thing, I've been there, I just think it's destructive.
Make sure you get a video of you going through it! I personally wouldn't do it, but I'll watch your video all day long!:)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Purchase an aftermarket jeep door seal kit. Like I said before it will be fine as long as you can stay moving. If your stuck you want the door seals to hold up more then anything, and have a winch line ready.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I highly recommend you do not attempt something like this. You know it is a bad idea and many people, myself included, are telling you it will cause future issues.

I know it can be boring in the south, but you are about to create a money pit of failures.

Think before you mud!

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
blah blah blah...

Many people do some pretty stupid @%!^ because there is a crowd watching or their buddies said they wouldn't....and then later, when no one wants to help them fix all the damage, they regret giving in to that pressure.

...blah blah blah.
THIS! I am just now getting my truck back to 100% after a dip in a mud hole that I didn't want to go into back in april. I would have made it through with no problems...that is until my volant tube slipped off the air box and it sucked in a bunch of mud.

I've had a ton of overheating problems and the horns shorted out.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would not go in any mud or muddy water deeper then your wheels and thats pushing too ! Ive been threw one wheel bearing and a alternator already from deep muddy puddles . Just saying

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Don't forget to get a second vehicle lined up so you have something to drive as the X dries out and you chase down a new alternator. If you don't do this you are not prepared.

Don't forget to have plenty of cash on hand to pay for playing. Parts and towing are expensive.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
why add the snorkel if your not going to use it. Do what you want to your truck make it look as cool as you want. But i personally put every mod to use constantly. My truck has never let me down. Sure i've had to replace some parts, never once needed a tow truck. I don't go looking for it, but I never turn around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts