Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose you take the X in for work on, oh I dont know, a sensor in the rear diff to indicate whether or not it is locked and you are denied warranty covereage because you have an AAL kit on the rear.

Can you take it off and go to another dealer, or are you put in some black-list so no dealer will ever cover you?

I had some problems today, and the diagnosis was that sensor. Now I'm contenplating taking the lift off before I take it in for actual work. Should I?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
In most cases you are black listed.

Hit up Dana with $10 for the WPAXC membership, wait for your card from Pittsburgh East and then take it there for service. They have treated me well (even if they were not the quickest place). You saw my X, if they covered it, they would surely cover yours.

Talk to Aaron in service. You can even name drop me if you want, he knows me. :)

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I thought to deny warrenty work the aftermarket part would have to have been proven to have caused the warrenty item... How would adding an AAL affect a sensor? Maybe i'm missing something

·
on line
1,638 Posts
B REAL said:
I thought to deny warrenty work the aftermarket part would have to have been proven to have caused the warrenty item... How would adding an AAL affect a sensor? Maybe i'm missing something
Yes ideally in a perfect world... but have you tried to get warranty work with mods on your car? Especially when the mod is in the same vicinity of the problem in question? Often times it's a big PITA arguing this very same point as to why the problem and the mod is NOT linked. Some on this board have had good luck with warranty repairs, others not.

I ran into trouble at one dealer refusing warranty- for the belt squeal b/c of my SL and BL. I called Nissan main office and spoke with the relevant people to make the very same arguments I made at the dealer. They OK'd repairs at the dealer and haven't had a problem since.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well you dont have to prove to them that the AAL didnt cause the problem....

They have to prove to you that the AAL did cause the problem... If they cant prove it then they cant deny the claim

Go back to the dealer and demand that the Shop manager put in writing why the warranty for that sensor is void....

Make sure you raise some hell dude. Dont go in there all timid and shy. You paid big bucks for your truck and all the parts should be working correctly!!!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Ya thats some BS right there. I want to hear this guys argument on how he thinks an AAL is messing with the Sensor...? Are you kidding me?

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa, wait wait. No one denied me YET. They only plugged the diagnostics in and figured out what the problem IS. What im worried about is when i go in to have it fixed, and they are actually under the truck. Thats when I think they'll notice.

On a side note, does your ABS light come on when you are locked? I jiggled the wires on the sensor(s) and everything seems to be working fine, but I dont recall the ABS light coming on.

edit: Wait, sure I do! Then I read the manual, and it verifies that the ABS light does come on.

So unless it goes screwy again, I guess I'll leave all as is, and not go to have it "repaired" Thoughts?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Woah, dude.... you made it sound like this happend to you. Okay so it didnt happen!

You have nothing to worry about the AAL has nothing to do with the sensor. you are golden.

Dont know about the ABS light.

·
on line
129 Posts
I had a torn upper ball joint boot on the driver's side.. and FYI.. they are not replacable.... you have to replace the entire upper control arm! But anyways.. I had recently installed the lift along with the 33's. Well.. they warranted it no problem.. and never said anything about the lift. And I had 30K miles on it. How can they deny it because it is lifted when they sell pumped up Titan's and Armada's with 10 " lifts on 35's brand new at the dealer.

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Somewhere on this board is a sticky entitled "Warranty what's covered what's not" etc.

Anyway here's a bit of info...

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

As stated earlier, they have the burden of proof prior to warranty denial.

It can be a fine line; however, in your case I wouldn't be concerned. They might not even notice the added leaf(s).

·
on line
3,050 Posts
This is why I have hesitated with doing my lift...I am afraid that the steelership would void out my extended warranty. Its happen up here in Canada a guy was denied warranty work for the mods that he had made on his truck. He spent days and weeks fighting with the dealer meanwhile his X didnt get fixed, and he needed to spend his own money. Nissan is a huge coorperation and in this situation was not afraid to fight. The bottom line is do we have chance at winning? and thats something I amnot willing to gamble at this time.

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Driving in a straight line, the sensor that tells the computer that the rear is locked will activate. The Diff Lock and VDC lights come on. If I go around a sharp bend, both tires spin at a different speed and the ECU realizes somethings up. Then the Diff lock light turns off, and the ABS and SLIP lights turn on, joining the VDC.

And jiggles dont fix it now haha.

There are two electronic devices on the diff. One on the top and one on the side. anyone know which locks and which senses?

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I read the warrenty act, but couldnt find in it where it says that the burden of proof is on the dealer. I'd like to have that ready incase there is an issue, but based on the excellent reputation of this dealer, I dont think there will be.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
avizpls said:
Also, I read the warrenty act, but couldnt find in it where it says that the burden of proof is on the dealer. I'd like to have that ready incase there is an issue, but based on the excellent reputation of this dealer, I dont think there will be.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=7253

this touches on this topic... i am sure there are even better sources out there.....

if one side of the vehicle was higher than the other, would that cause this sort of malfunction? If so, maybe your lift isn't quite right? Regardless, see what the dealer says and go armed with info regarding aftermarket parts and warranty..

·
on line
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had another guy ask. They said it wont be an issue unless I've got some crazy lift on it that jacks the driveshaft all up. But they said if its just a couple inches (he said like 6") it wont be an issue. So no sweat. But thanks fotr the link

1 - 17 of 17 Posts