Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a good chance I may end up being stationed out here in AK for the next 3 more years, if so I want to beef up the X (2007 4x4 S by the way) with a shackle lift, tires and wheels and probably front bumper and winch. Will any of these mods effect my warrante? I just have the traditional 36k/3 year warante but plan on buying a better plan with my taxes this year.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
no the lift wont void your warranty, but the tires might (probably not but some dealerships are being funny about larger tires).

And if you want to get a lift, you wont want to get just a shackle (that will only lift the rear), you will also need a spacer, coil spring (dont get this one), or a coilover shock (this is the best option)

·
on line
2,077 Posts
if you go with bumpers, skids, etc. make sure your X is all clean and pretty before bringing it in....service managers might start looking for signs of abuse with that stuff on there

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's, on the island I live there is no nissan dealer so my waranty work is subcontracted and I'm pretty good friends with the owner of the shop. So hopefully this will work to my favor anyhow.

So as soon as find out if I'm staying will this list of goodies work well?:

Shrock bumper/ rad skid
Warn8000lb winch
hella 600 6" lights
AAL in the rear or shackles or both?
coil overs in front w/ bilstiens
and BFG A/T 285/75/16'S
I think I need abs extentions too right?

any feedback on this is greatly apreciated.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
USArmyX said:
S_e_X-Terra said:
no the lift wont void your warranty
Is this true across the board, or is this one of those things that varies by dealer?
I think it is more of a case by case basis, rather than a blanket statement. While there is no reason a small lift should void a powertrain warranty, I would be a little nervous bringing in a lifted vehicle for warranty service. Tires are very questionable. So, I think it more comes down to the dealership you are working with and the way the service manager feels that day. They really need to prove that the part caused the failure, but hard to say what an uneducated lawyer might believe. Look at the battle Lloyd is having with a stock vehicle with an exploded diff; others have had no problem with heavily modded rigs.

·
on line
68 Posts
boatcop1
Statistically, it would be VERY unlikely you would be denied warranted service due to aftermarket skids and a modest lift. I would avoid a diff drop lift because it remounts the diff and is considered a modification from their viewpoint.
Unfortunately, there are a few members here that are embittered by the fact that their claims were denied and use the boards here to vent. It's kind of a downer, but do not let this stop you from putting on "reasonable" mods for the trucks capabilities. Thirty-two inch tires are large enough for type of trails our trucks can handle. Also, a couple inches of add'l ground clearance and some belly protection should not get you into trouble. The cases where diffs were quickly replaced on trucks that had these modest lifts far out weigh those that were denied. This goes for all Nissan models that share these diffs.
Keep off the gas and let the traction controls do their job. Keep wheel spin to a minimum and you'll be fine.
Our club has many modified 2nd gens that have been running monthly (or more) for the last three years with only one casualty. In the case of this casualty the individuals has has two diffs and one transfer case replaced, all under warranty. Obviously, a case of driving style(?), yet it was still replaced by the dealer.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xtatik said:
boatcop1
Statistically, it would be VERY unlikely you would be denied warranted service due to aftermarket skids and a modest lift. I would avoid a diff drop lift because it remounts the diff and is considered a modification from their viewpoint.
Unfortunately, there are a few members here that are embittered by the fact that their claims were denied and use the boards here to vent. It's kind of a downer, but do not let this stop you from putting on "reasonable" mods for the trucks capabilities. Thirty-two inch tires are large enough for type of trails our trucks can handle. Also, a couple inches of add'l ground clearance and some belly protection should not get you into trouble. The cases where diffs were quickly replaced on trucks that had these modest lifts far out weigh those that were denied. This goes for all Nissan models that share these diffs.
Keep off the gas and let the traction controls do their job. Keep wheel spin to a minimum and you'll be fine.
Our club has many modified 2nd gens that have been running monthly (or more) for the last three years with only one casualty. In the case of this casualty the individuals has has two diffs and one transfer case replaced, all under warranty. Obviously, a case of driving style(?), yet it was still replaced by the dealer.
Xtat great post on my concerns, I agree completley. I'm looking for a very modest lift, also I will spend the money to do it right, I dont want to worry about it or adjust it I just want to install it and drive it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts