Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Xterra has been one of the best, most dependable vehicles I've ever owned but there is one area where it drives me crazy; the profusion of warning lights that seem to come on for no reason and frequently don't respond to any reset procedure.

The main offender is the darned TPMS. From day one it has been a lying s.o.b. that has been nothing but trouble. Currently it's been on for three months. The check engine light has a perverse mind of it's own that reflects nothing about the engine reality that dealership and independent mechanics can detect but at least it eventually goes out....for a while. Two weeks ago I replaced the battery and, you guessed it, the VDC warning light is on and does not respond to several reset attempts.

I'm so tired of this nonsense that I'm considering surgery to disable the light bulbs or LEDs that insist on tormenting me.

Am I alone in this wilderness of bogus warnings or are there some fellow sufferers on the forum?

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Signs, signs, everywhere signs...

Never had a bogus light. If it came on, there was a reason for it. Find the reason, resolve it, lights stay off.

The VDC coming on after a battery change is normal. Sometimes the steering angle sensor has a hard time learning and unhook the battery and reset it again. If not you may have another problem.
Engine light came on, there is a code there. The light does not stay on without a code causing it.
TPMS is usually just bad tire pressure or sometimes a sensor. Dealer or bad tire shop will want to rape you to fix it, but there are good tire shops that not too bad at fixing it.

Do you ignore the brake brake noises as well? Drive until the brakes don't work then wonder why they want $1,000 to get the brakes fixed?

The warning lights are signs that something isn't right. Why don't you get someone who is competent at fixing the problem instead of trying to hide it?

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, early 2010,

Gosh, thanks for the "sobor" response. I'm thrilled that you paid attention in college. I didn't go to college myself but I've done ok formulating flawed climate change models for the gubmint.

It seems that bogus warnings are not that unusual, further, I have my doubts about any warning system that alerts us to the fact that it's warning capabilities have failed to alert us to the problem it was intended to warn us about in the first place.....Jeeze, I'll try and say all that five times fast.

Yes, I do ignore "the brake brake noises as well". Could this be a problem?

As a wise and funny man once said, "there's yer sign.":):)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Firstly yes the tps system blows, mine didnt work from day 1 either, but my day 1 was 4 years used, however when i got new tires the guys reset it, and it worked great for 3 years now my truck is 8 years old and the tps light comes on every morning when i start it, ive checked the pressure many times they are fine. I figure the batteries are dead in at least 1 of them, its fine, i know how to operate a gauge. I even called the dealer the first time it went off and was like whats the deal, they said this is like the number complaint they recieve so dont worry about that.

Secondly the Check engine light, is normally something going wrong for one reason or another, and it should have some kind of record on what went wrong when the light comes on, you obviously need to have it checked with a code reader, now im assuming youve done this and nothing comes up. And if thats the case something else is going on but if your dealer isnt finding anything perhaps next time try another one just to check. Because yes you should try and find the culprit but it sounds like you have an electrical gremlin and i dont know what to tell you.

Thridly, yes normally you should heed the warning of your noisy brakes however also since day 1 my xterra has had screechy brakes, I've had them checked more than once and each time it comes back these are in great shape. I have heard more than my self complain about how bad the brakes sound on the X and not just mine, idk what its about them and why they are noisy but they are. Sometimes it my fault because my truck sees a lot of dirt trails and trail dust causes noise.

I totally understand where youre coming from with your frustration, i had a cel light come on the other day i did the rest and im almost at 50 miles and my truck has run for more than a hour and it hasnt come back, some times these things happen and its nothing and others it something. As far as disconnecting the systems, idk how youd go about that, i know others with the tps not even on their rims because the system is so bad, perhaps you should/could try a tuner such as superchips and reprogram the ecu and see if that cures your crazy CEL, thats about the only idea have to go about the CEL issue. Best of Luck

·
on line
951 Posts
In some states, soon to be all, tpms has to appear to work to pass a safety inspection. I pulled my tpms sensors the last time I put tires on, got sick of the false alarms. It took the truck 4 days to figure out something was wrong, and the sensors were on my bench in my garage. This summer I have to either make the light seem like its working, or put new sensors back in. This is one of the worst tpms systems I have encountered. My wife has a cheapo car (chevy cobalt) that tells the pressure of each tire, and when one is low it tells you which one it is.

As for a random cel light, mine comes on sometimes too. Most often it's after my wife puts gas in, just reset the gas cap and it goes away. If you are trying to pull a code and nothing is there, or it is showing a customer request, it could be an abs code or a transmission code. Most inexpensive readers will not read either set of codes.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
In some states, soon to be all, tpms has to appear to work to pass a safety inspection.
Source? I highly doubt there is going to be a TMPS inspection on a national level when there isn't even an emissions requirement. Even emissions laws are mostly regional plus a quick Google search of your statement bring back no relevant results regarding standing or pending legislation.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
There is no source. Some people live with the idea that there screwed up state is just like all the others. Just like getting into towing threads where people in California claim that there is no place you can tow over 55 MPH. I have no issues dragging a trailer 75+ in Arizona.

Some people just need to get a little further from home from time to time.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I just ignore the dashboard.

There are days when I'll have eight lights lit up, the next time I start there will be none.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
There is no source. Some people live with the idea that there screwed up state is just like all the others. Just like getting into towing threads where people in California claim that there is no place you can tow over 55 MPH. I have no issues dragging a trailer 75+ in Arizona.

Some people just need to get a little further from home from time to time.
Hopefully you've upgraded the normal tires as industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH. The extra heat of a hot Arizona day adds to the danger.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It rained yesterday and the TPMS light came on. We get about 7" of rain per year. Today was clear and sunny, the light went out after a couple hours of driving. The tires were fine when I checked them with a gauge.

When I had a Blazer I fixed a light with a piece of black electrical tape covering it. No more Chevvys.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My tpms light comes on every time I'm at highway speed for more than 30-40 minutes. You do realize that you have to check for codes while the light is on, right?

Also, early2010, I don't know what conversation you are referring to, but towing in California is limited to 55mph.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You do realize that you have to check for codes while the light is on, right?
Nope... The "non-actives" codes are stored in the ECU but simple (and inexpensive) code reader can't read (nor erase) them.

You don't absolutely need a Consult II (the computer used by Nissan dealers), hi-end models like the DS 708 can do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts