Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got this installed last week. After returning the Smittybilt winch that was not clockable, I bought this. The instructions are minimal to say the least. There was no info on clocking for install in a bumper. There are YouTube videos for the Zeon line, obviously Warn wants you to spend more money. I called Warn and the tech said the clutch side can be clocked 90 degrees, other side not clockable. We wanted to mount the control box on the bumper, and stock wires we not long enough. Tech said we needed 2ga wiring. Stock looks like 4ga, must be because of the length. A Warn relocation pack was $130, so I looked to find cables online. I bought them from Batterycablesusa.com. They were very nicely made and came quick.

I decided to mount the control box flush, but wanted to be able to pull the top off for servicing as stock it’s screwed from the bottom. We drilled 4 holes in bumper and installed 4 rivnuts. Screwed the bottom panel down and hooked up new longer wires. Wired up connections on underside of winch. I drilled small pilot holes in box and screwed cover to base.

I then took the existing long cover plate from top of bumper(on ARB if no winch) and cut out a 6-7” piece, rounding the new edges. I cut the rubber edge to fit each new piece and silicone them in place. I also epoxied two neodymium magnets to each piece to keep them in place.

Finishing the install we attached a Factor 55 flatlink to the end. Still need to figure out a flip up conversion for license plate that hides front.

Attachments

·
TNX Veteran
4,246 Posts
IDK what kind of weird experience you were having, but my Warn Evo 10S had plenty of length to go from the bumper PAST they battery and to the fusebox (where I have a power cutoff switch). I also had paper directions which totally explained how to clock the winch. I got mine only 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Looks good! How long did it take to install?
How heavy is 10S? 70lb?

I read about the short cables and extra cost for longer .

have you winched yet? What kind of battery do you have? I don’t see a picture of it 😀

Is that a steel rope fairlead on a synthetic line?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Regarding fairlead vs hawse I found this interesting:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What that guy said makes sense to me, but I also didn’t like the way the hawse was set back in on the ARB making it possible for the line to rub against the sharp edge of the inset area. I bought an Amazon no-name roller unit and separate urathane replacement rollers.
I went through the instructions again today and there was nothing in my box about clocking. We figured it out. Also the new cables I referred to were just from the control box to the motor. The cables to the battery were fine.
It took us about 6 hours total, split up because of needing to order other parts. And I would guess the winch weighing about 70lbs. about right. Battery is an Interstate but seems to match Warn’s requirements. I’m hoping to have some time this weekend to test it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts