Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently made a post to gather information on close to OEM exhaust systems, in terms of sound and feel. Because of the hefty price tag for a OEM Nissan muffler alone ($400), I decided to order the Walker Quiet-Flow exhaust kit from Rockauto.
I am thoroughly impressed at how quiet this is and how it sounds. Absolutely no tin, rattle, drone, nothing! This is with stock headers and both cats intact. It isn't the most beautiful exhaust. Welds don't look great, but it doesn't leak at all (for now). I would recommend coating this with high heat paint, especially on the welds to get more use out of it.

This kit includes:
  • 2 exhaust pipe clamps
    • Muffler to tail pipe
    • Middle connection from the secondary cats
  • 4 crush ring gaskets if removing cats (I didn't need to)
  • 2 flange gaskets
    • Converter (Rear Right) To Muffler Assembly
    • Converter (Rear Left) To Front Pipe
  • Exhaust pipe assembly from secondary cats back
This kit does NOT come with mounting hardware such as bolts and nuts, you may need to pick up 4 bolt assemblies from your local hardware store:
  • 4 spring washers
  • 8 flat washers for each side of the flange
  • 4 nuts
This totaled out to about $200 with shipping. Install was very easy, although you may encounter rusted bolts on the cat flanges.

Here is a picture of what I received from Rockauto:

Here are some videos:
Startup:

Rev at stop:

In car noise:

Fly by:

·
Registered
2006 xterra s
40 Posts
Yeah that sounds much better than it did on my X. Glad it worked out. With after market headers and the secondary cats deleted mine sounded ungodly raspy. Your setup sounds very close to stock. I did install the factory muffler I purchased and now my Xterra is back to being quite as a church mouse.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Sounds stock to me , which is not a bad thing at all. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
By the looks of it it seems pretty much oe with exception the Y pie connection looks alittle better built not as nicely done as say the BRE where they have this cool three way connection piece but it don’t have such a serious bend in the one pipe like the stock pipe has

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,504 Posts
Should be an OEM match, but I'm not certain. I would assume larger better flowing might change noise. All piping is same as stock.
Y-pipe is not as restricted.
The huge dent that Nissan so nicely gave the OEM is eliminated on the Walker pipe.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the looks of it it seems pretty much oe with exception the Y pie connection looks alittle better built not as nicely done as say the BRE where they have this cool three way connection piece but it don’t have such a serious bend in the one pipe like the stock pipe has
For anyone interested in what the BRE looks like:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
looks good, sounds good. would you say its any louder than stock or quieter or the same?

I want to replace mine with something little freer flowing(mainly that stupid y pipe) and alittle louder, but dont want it to be alot louder..

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
242 Posts
Got mine in yesterday. Waiting on paint to arrive. I will say there are a gazillion labels on the metal I will have to get off before painting and that is going to be a PITA. The welds are not the best looking but the price was right. Maybe next time I will go Nissmo exhaust if it's not too loud and this one doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
505 Posts
looks good, sounds good. would you say its any louder than stock or quieter or the same?

I want to replace mine with something little freer flowing(mainly that stupid y pipe) and alittle louder, but dont want it to be alot louder..
I just got my magnaflow (2in 1out) replaced with a factory Nissan Pathfinder muffler that is also a 2in 1out, so I didn’t have to go back to a Y pipe setup. I don’t know the details on the muffler, but the guy at Boulder Mufflers said it was a late 90s early 2000s pathfinder factory muffler. Btw I highly recommend Boulder Mufflers for any custom work. I just wanted something quieter than magnaflow, but didn’t want to go back to the restrictive Y pipe. Sounds great and I think it is factory quiet or maybe slightly louder than factory. Way less loud than the magnaflow.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I just got my magnaflow (2in 1out) replaced with a factory Nissan Pathfinder muffler that is also a 2in 1out, so I didn’t have to go back to a Y pipe setup. I don’t know the details on the muffler, but the guy at Boulder Mufflers said it was a late 90s early 2000s pathfinder factory muffler. Btw I highly recommend Boulder Mufflers for any custom work. I just wanted something quieter than magnaflow, but didn’t want to go back to the restrictive Y pipe. Sounds great and I think it is factory quiet or maybe slightly louder than factory. Way less loud than the magnaflow. View attachment 140378
View attachment 140377
that looks great! thanks for the shop tip!

btw i installed that front tow hook that you gave me a while back, super thanks for that!

·
Registered
2011 Pro 4X,Night Armor.
242 Posts
Well, I have to say I am pretty disappointed with Rock Auto on this one. They shipped the muffler and tail pipe section without even being in a box. The muffler had a piece of cardboard wrapped around it. They all still a gazillion labels on that need to be removed. I started heat gunning off all the labels so I could paint it and when I ripped the cardboard wrapping off the muffler I saw a pretty big dent in it. Not sure what to do now but really kind of wishing I would have just gone to a local shop or bought the Nissmo set up even though it's a lot more. Rock Auto actually charged me almost 90 to ship this too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts