Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my Volant CAI yesterday afternoon. I'm liking it so far, definitely a noticeable improvement to acceleration and throttle response (plus it sounds cool!). Anyway, on to my question.

I noticed today that in 4th or 5th gear (probably between 40-55 mph approx.) I get very bad vibrations. It happens as soon as I hit the gas pedal and stops as soon as I release it. I've searched and read plenty of posts already and they all point to the U-joints as being the culprit when this problem occurs. I double checked all the hose clamps, nuts/bolts, etc. on the Volant and nothing seems to be wrong. Is it just a coincidence that I just installed it and now I'm getting vibes?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm guessing it is coincidence. Get under your truck, grab the drive shafts, shake them and see if there is any play. If there is play you have your culprit. Make sure to wiggle them in all directions. Two sides of the u-joint were perfect and the other sides were so bad they were missing the needle bearings and were conical. Mine were pretty obvious when I had the same symptom.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks for the advice Slasa. Once the snow clears up or I get a chance to bring it to my friends garage I'll take a look at the drive shafts. I had the front U-joint replaced a year ago so I'm guessing it's the rear now, but I'll check them both out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just had this same problem about 2 months ago. its your rear u-joint. front u-joints cause constant vibration and the rear causes it only during acceleration/powered driving for some strange reason... swapped out and now no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts