Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing volant kit with hood rod mod this weekend and I thought I would give some insight on what went wrong and what went right.

Hood Rod mod write up:
USMC Hood Rod Mod Write Up

I started with the hood rod mod. USMC did a great job on the write up but I thought I would post pics of the little details that I found out for myself.

This shows the setup for pulling through the back side. Washer on top nut on bottom.

You pull on the string till the washer is flush:

This shot shows how to pull the coat hanger through to the other side and hold backup while you release the string back through the washer.

And if you do decide to do the hood mod go ahead and install a CAI while your at it becuase this makes it so simple for the drivers side:

Once you have the bottom done you can start on the top. I went with this setup to screw into my hood:

After the hood rod was done I went to install the CAI. I had to adjust the horn so that the kit would fit. What I ended up doing is bending the metal bracket so that the horns sat horizontal rather than vertical. Then I flipped the bracket around and slid the horns up underneath the lights. The bracket is easy to bend with a couple of slotted wrenches.

And all done!

·
on line
1,638 Posts
from Frontier site

Part #: 9416K18 @ $12.46 X 2
(Force: 70-90#)

Part #: 9416K74 @ $1.75 X 4

Part #: 9512K95 @ $1.94 X 4

Total cost: $39.68 + shipping from McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/

·
on line
1,420 Posts
great work...

·
on line
10,133 Posts
don't even mess with it...just do what sancho did and bend the bracket flat. I kept the bracket in the original form, just spun it around. Only one of my horns is actually mounted to the bracket now. The other one is just stuffed up in there (it's not going anywhere). Of course, i did this before sancho wrote this post and i'm not going to take everything back out just to bend the bracket. Maybe when my shrockworks bumper comes i'll do it.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Great work.....i wonder if its too much to take the front quarter panel off??

- j

·
on line
279 Posts
Aw, come on!! Where's you sense of adventure, guys? When the stock horn becomes a problem, I see a perfect opportunity to buy one of the ultra-loud horns at Autozone that are like four times louder than stock and install it in the X... :happy2:

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I'm fixing to do MC's hood mod and ran across this thread. I'm wondering if you still have the pics you took of the little things you ran into. The OP doesn't have the links..

Thanks,

Lucas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts